• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Chairman

Cyril Towers (30)
Newington College First XV to take on St Joseph's

1. Sheck
  2. Costanzo
  3. Clatworthy
  4. Bell
  5. Habler
  6. Muir
  7. Simmons
  8. Mersal
  9. Hickey
  10. Rodwell
  11. Makasini
  12. Humphries
  13. Warner
  14. Grantham
  15. McEwen

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
@Joker will we see you out at HH for the clash of the titians tomorrow?

-Prince
Not this time unfortunately. Have a medical engagement tomorrow and will be in bed afterwards.
Shall be watching though if I can stay awake.
I wish everyone who plays tomorrow the very best and may they be safe

1718954046446.jpeg

Joker

Peter Sullivan (51)
@Joker id love to hear more about that 1990 joeys 1st Xv - any truth they did not concede a try all gps season?
They scored 43 tries during the GPS competition. Their defensive record was perfect. They joined the great 1957 team as being the only sides from St Joseph's not to have a try scored against them in the competition. In only having 9 points (3 penalties) scored against them they also joined the 1985 side as record holders for least points against. Another record was when seven were selected for the AUS schools. They were incredible to watch.

Table below will fascinate you

1718954653848.png

NOTE- The coach Br Anthony told me that David Kelaher was the best footballer he every coached and this includes Matt Burke and Kurtley Beale.

1718954351854.png

Srgnt Short Ball

Herbert Moran (7)
They scored 43 tries during the GPS competition. Their defensive record was perfect. They joined the great 1957 team as being the only sides from St Joseph's not to have a try scored against them in the competition. In only having 9 points (3 penalties) scored against them they also joined the 1985 side as record holders for least points against. Another record was when seven were selected for the AUS schools. They were incredible to watch.

View attachment 19556
NOTE- The coach Br Anthony told me that David Kelaher was the best footballer he every coached and this includes Matt Burke and Kurtley Beale.

View attachment 19555
Note High and Grammar are both centre of the table; those were the days, the GPS functioned better as an 8 team competition, sad to see these two fade away over the years.

The Wanderer

Bob McCowan (2)

View attachment 19556

View attachment 19555
Outstanding piece of history this. My cousin was in the TKS team 85/86 that beat Joeys 9-4 (I think) in one of those years which there was minimal points scored against.

The Wanderer

Bob McCowan (2)
Note High and Grammar are both centre of the table; those were the days, the GPS functioned better as an 8 team competition, sad to see these two fade away over the years.
Agree. I don’t mind the double round they play now but back then it was the first 7 weeks straight of term 3 vs everyone once straight shootout. It was great and you only visited every school every second year. High had a very good team 93 and 94 I think coming second both years !!

Srgnt Short Ball

Herbert Moran (7)
Agree. I don’t mind the double round they play now but back then it was the first 7 weeks straight of term 3 vs everyone once straight shootout. It was great and you only visited every school every second year. High had a very good team 93 and 94 I think coming second both years !!
Correct, they produced a great deal of Wallabies and Aussie schoolboys during that period. Most notable High alumni during that era would probably be Chris Whitaker who was a part of that '92 team and went on to play 31 games for the Wallabies, seeing a start at captain just the once. Spectacular footy player and a great representation of 'the old' Sydney Boys High.

Last edited:

The Cleaner

Ward Prentice (10)
I still find it odd founa is left out of predicted gps sides.

he is the best under 18s 8 in the country and easily one of the top 5 players in the country. He is outstanding on all levels of them game and was able to be picked in Probbaly one of the best schoolboy sides we have seen in just year 10 last year.
We can save it all for tomorrow evening at 20:01 after the squad is announced

Srgnt Short Ball

Herbert Moran (7)
I prefer the old system, but considering there are now only 6 teams in the 1s competition I believe that the GPS have made the best decision by implementing the double round. However, the old 'shootout' system was quite thrilling and will always have a place in my heart, 7 weeks of go go go! Absolutely no time to slow down, if your school is in contention every week is critical. Additionally, that system favoured schools with depth, with no second chances or 'do-overs' if a player was injured you needed a replacement you could rely on. I think this encouraged schools to train boys from the bottom up, creating a stronger all-round footy program which inevitably is better for the boys.

Balmain Subbies

Watty Friend (18)
I prefer the old system, but considering there are now only 6 teams in the 1s competition I believe that the GPS have made the best decision by implementing the double round. However, the old 'shootout' system was quite thrilling and will always have a place in my heart, 7 weeks of go go go! Absolutely no time to slow down, if your school is in contention every week is critical. Additionally, that system favoured schools with depth, with no second chances or 'do-overs' if a player was injured you needed a replacement you could rely on. I think this encouraged schools to train boys from the bottom up, creating a stronger all-round footy program which inevitably is better for the boys.
And let's now forget term 2 trials, term 3 game on

Backintheolddays

Watty Friend (18)
I still find it odd founa is left out of predicted gps sides.

he is the best under 18s 8 in the country and easily one of the top 5 players in the country. He is outstanding on all levels of them game and was able to be picked in Probbaly one of the best schoolboy sides we have seen in just year 10 last year.
Not much in the way of objective discussion this year unfortunately RnB. Agree with you. He lifts a fairly middle of the road team to be competitive