• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NSW AAGPS 2024

The Grail

Larry Dwyer (12)
Feel a classic old story of mine coming to mind.....

Ok, everyone settle down, Uncle Joker has a story to tell. “Once Upon a time…..

God was sitting down on a beautiful Saturday afternoon in his golden rumpus room also known as Las Vegas. The simple 500L fridge was well stocked, well it was always well stocked, for God had never seen it not so. The Tim Tam’s were out in force, the bowl of chicken twisties at the ready, the 600inch Ultra 18k TV was warmed up and Cluch was about to start. Even the NBN was working well. God could not have been happier. And wouldn’t you know it, someone had to come along and disturb the big guy just as the game kicked off. Lucky for God he can pause the universe with a thought and strained his head to see who was interrupting his “me, myself, I time”. God did not like interruptions and he had even turned down his prayer radio so he couldn’t hear the constant requests for assistance from the pesky Presbyterians and pious Anglicans.

Standing in golden archway was Jesus.

He was looking flummoxed and he approached his dad and collapsed into the cloud next to his father.

“Dad?” said Jesus

“Yes, my son,” replied the Lord, “what is the problem?”

“It is about today’s game,” and he nodded in the direction of the TV.

“Oh that,” replied The Lord, “what is it this year? I thought you making posts falling over, saving the Joeys Old Boys from dying at the Leichardt stand collapse and winning games four minutes after the bell had worked in the past. What is the issue?”

Jesus sighed a deep sigh and looked into the distance ignoring the unicorns prancing in the meadows of swaying golden wheat. “Well dad, I have a big decision this year. All week both schools have been praying up a storm. The Jesuits of course just can’t enough of what I do. They constantly tell me how good Frank is doing as Pope and can we have more Jesuits please. Plus, they believe they are due for a double win. I thought the win earlier this season would be enough. You know, I made the Joeys passes not reach their mark and I even allowed Joeys players collide, and blind the match official that very moment. It seems they want even more.”

“That sounds like they really want your blessing this year my son,” replied the Lord as he grabbed another handful of Twisties. (The hole that was left magically refilled) This was not the answer though Jesus wanted for he had another issue.

“Father, I know we say the meek shall inherit the earth and blessed are the cheese makers…”

“Peacemakers……Peacemakers,” the Lord interjected

“Cheesemakers….ok then, but those Marists have just been singing every day and every night. Yes, the “Ancient Words” hymn can grate a bit. Joeys lads have been attending mass every day, wearing Rosary beads everywhere, blessing their rugby jumpers and even watering their number 1 oval with Holy Water. They are doing some serious lobbying that even the ALP in Canberra is noticing and I just can’t decide who I shall turn my face to and bless with my gaze. Do you understand?” Jesus said.

The Lord pondered his son’s dilemma for a few moments and then spoke his wisest words….

“Go ask your mother.”

Jesus soon found himself in a large room full of new born babies with Mother Mary blessing them all with her serene gaze from her diamond blue eyes. Angels strummed harps above her head and her clothing shone with brilliant white and blue. “Mum,” Jesus said, “can you help me please?”

“Certainly darling, what is the problem. Is your father eating all the Twisties again? Is he turning the unicorns into dinosaurs?”

“No, not this time, it is just how do I pick between Riverview and Joeys? They both are so good.”

“Listen to me my dear, it is simple. Do you love your mother?”

“Yes of course, “replied Jesus

“With all your heart? With your all strength?”

“Yes mother, all that I have and more, I will love you till the end of days”

“And so, my child, if you love me with all your heart and soul, then you must then choose the team that loves me just as much as you love me. Does that make sense?” asked Mary

“Well,” replied Jesus, “that is easy, then I chose Joeys as they love you as much as I do.”

“Yes,” said Our Lady, “but as well, I just like to mess with the Jesuits anyway.”

And with that, the sun shone down upon Heavens Pasture (Joeys 1) and the cattle dogs once again heaped misery onto the View lads. And in the distance, a serene statue perched on sandstone building enjoyed a quiet smile to herself.

Quite the word salad even by your standards Joker, clearly JC favors the Jesuits with the bloke in charge being a Jesuit. Are you on morphine now, not judging, just asking for a friend?

Well done to Joeys 1sts they have lifted a gear today by the looks, eventhough it was at the Asylum where it is no doubt more difficult for visiting teams to take away the win, (like View did last year). I agree they are deserved favorites at this stage, and deserve recognition.

I believe all of the GPS is pleased to see Shore stregthen this year and TKS will be building for next year too.

Well done to View overcoming a determined New' side, how good was their defence in the second half?!

Last edited:

Jockey181

Banned

Can someone point to me the resurgence of Shore Rugby has come from. A couple years back many were calling for them to be demoted to the 2s or 3s comp, used to be the free points of the competition.

Is it more funding? A lucky few years of good footy? A change in Master In Charge? Headmaster philosophy? Strength and Conditioning? Coaching? I am genuinely baffled of where this good fortune has come from.
I believe it’s the right to go outside and get external coaching. Mason jones has done a terrific job of this and I genuinely could see him going to get a bigger job in the future to turn a poor rugby club into a better one with a culture and success. Great from the Shoremen

rugbyAU

Colin Windon (37)
I believe it’s the right to go outside and get external coaching. Mason jones has done a terrific job of this and I genuinely could see him going to get a bigger job in the future to turn a poor rugby club into a better one with a culture and success. Great from the Shoremen
Hiring a full time professional coach for the 1st Xv and overseeing the whole program after Dr Wright left also coincided with the improved results

Can someone point to me the resurgence of Shore Rugby has come from. A couple years back many were calling for them to be demoted to the 2s or 3s comp, used to be the free points of the competition.

Is it more funding? A lucky few years of good footy? A change in Master In Charge? Headmaster philosophy? Strength and Conditioning? Coaching? I am genuinely baffled of where this good fortune has come from.
In the late 2010's, Shore was dominant in rowing and that was the success the school prided itself on. During that time, rowing prevailed, while Rugby was struggling, in which it prompted a rebuild of the rugby program in 2018.

This program rebuild began the development of junior players (in the younger years) within a stronger program so that when they reach the opens they would be far better than the opens teams at the time who were developed in a weaker program. 2019 and 2020 was a struggle. 2021 was an improvement, and 2022 was the catalyst for Shore's turn around.

The 2022 cohort had a very strong group of players, and when that year group was U15's, the Shore 15A's of 2019 went undefeated, indicative that there was to brighter days in the future.

The new strength and conditioning facilities at the school that were completed in 2020, enabled a greater amount of players to build some physical size in comparison to the previous gym that couldn't fit no where near as many students. During the years plagued by struggle in the late 2010's, one of the main reasons why they were a struggle was because players simply lacked aggression. The new strength and conditioning facilities enables more boys to put on more size, which gives the stronger and bigger players confidence on the field, which often translates to more aggression. I don't think the problem of the more difficult years in the rugby program (e.g. 2018 and 2019) was a lack of talent amongst the players, but rather a lack of aggression and desire to win.

The culture of the school has shifted in the past couple of years from rowing more towards rugby, and there has been quite a correlation in which ever sport receives more focus and prioritisation from the students will have more success. However, this comes at the cost of the less prioritised sport not doing as good, hence Shore not being as dominant at rowing in recent years (while rugby improved). This is not a case of jumping on the bandwagon of which ever sport is the having the most success and the students focusing on/supporting that the most (Shore just won the 1sts and 2nds tennis premiership but the culture of the school did not change), it is just whichever sport seems to be more engaged in will have greater success - pretty simple concept.

But why have the students focused on rugby more? Past students felt an obligation to maintain the dominance in rowing which is why there was such a prolonged period at the top (from 1999 to 2019 Shore won the 1stVIII Head of The River 14 times). The rowers simply wanted to retain the top spot and build/remain a juggernaut. Considering Shore had proven they could succeed in rowing, the recent years of coming 2nd and 3rd at the Head of the River must have been received as a sign that now may be the time to shift the focus and prove that Shore can succeed in Rugy. It seems like students now feel a sense of accountability to end the dry spell of 1stXV premierships and improve the reputation of Shore rugby, which now is an ample time do so as the talent at Shore is abundant and the Rugby program is strong. Furthermore, the GPS Rugby premiership is simply the most coveted silverware in the AAGPS, and who doesn't want to get their hands on that.

TheBatman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Furthermore, the GPS Rugby premiership is simply the most coveted silverware in the AAGPS, and who doesn't want to get their hands on that.
Cheers for the responses guys, healthy discourse is what keeps this forum alive.

I can agree, the Major Rennie Trophy and the GPS footy shield are the main pointers to a successful co-curricular season.

A competitive GPS comp is a healthy one, and honestly it benefits Australian Rugby.

runningrugbyrules

Ted Fahey (11)
In the late 2010's, Shore was dominant in rowing and that was the success the school prided itself on. During that time, rowing prevailed, while Rugby was struggling, in which it prompted a rebuild of the rugby program in 2018.

This program rebuild began the development of junior players (in the younger years) within a stronger program so that when they reach the opens they would be far better than the opens teams at the time who were developed in a weaker program. 2019 and 2020 was a struggle. 2021 was an improvement, and 2022 was the catalyst for Shore's turn around.

The 2022 cohort had a very strong group of players, and when that year group was U15's, the Shore 15A's of 2019 went undefeated, indicative that there was to brighter days in the future.

The new strength and conditioning facilities at the school that were completed in 2020, enabled a greater amount of players to build some physical size in comparison to the previous gym that couldn't fit no where near as many students. During the years plagued by struggle in the late 2010's, one of the main reasons why they were a struggle was because players simply lacked aggression. The new strength and conditioning facilities enables more boys to put on more size, which gives the stronger and bigger players confidence on the field, which often translates to more aggression. I don't think the problem of the more difficult years in the rugby program (e.g. 2018 and 2019) was a lack of talent amongst the players, but rather a lack of aggression and desire to win.

The culture of the school has shifted in the past couple of years from rowing more towards rugby, and there has been quite a correlation in which ever sport receives more focus and prioritisation from the students will have more success. However, this comes at the cost of the less prioritised sport not doing as good, hence Shore not being as dominant at rowing in recent years (while rugby improved). This is not a case of jumping on the bandwagon of which ever sport is the having the most success and the students focusing on/supporting that the most (Shore just won the 1sts and 2nds tennis premiership but the culture of the school did not change), it is just whichever sport seems to be more engaged in will have greater success - pretty simple concept.

But why have the students focused on rugby more? Past students felt an obligation to maintain the dominance in rowing which is why there was such a prolonged period at the top (from 1999 to 2019 Shore won the 1stVIII Head of The River 14 times). The rowers simply wanted to retain the top spot and build/remain a juggernaut. Considering Shore had proven they could succeed in rowing, the recent years of coming 2nd and 3rd at the Head of the River must have been received as a sign that now may be the time to shift the focus and prove that Shore can succeed in Rugy. It seems like students now feel a sense of accountability to end the dry spell of 1stXV premierships and improve the reputation of Shore rugby, which now is an ample time do so as the talent at Shore is abundant and the Rugby program is strong. Furthermore, the GPS Rugby premiership is simply the most coveted silverware in the AAGPS, and who doesn't want to get their hands on that.
4th place probably

Wolverine

Frank Nicholson (4)
Joeys first. Daylght second.

That's what we're supposed to beiieve.

Arrogance based on history...

Well, they sell a good story.................

What do I know?

Chugby Chris

Frank Nicholson (4)
How about that Joeys prop! looks to have dislocated or subluxed his shoulder, goes on to make 2 crucial tackles which lead into a steal! then once he is taken to the docs room, he subs straight back on! absolute animal

- Chug Chug Chug

Ruck and roll

Frank Row (1)
Way too early Updated Prem prediction and ladder for end of season 1st XV shield 2024

1st Joeys (Premiers)
2nd View
3rd Kings
4th Shore
5th New
6th Scots

Shore could end the season in the 3rd spot but I predict everything else to match this
Never know because its a two round season teams tend to improve more after 1st round because they can predict the next game

Scots looks incredibly overhyped this year lol.

Rookie21

Larry Dwyer (12)

Dr Wright, Headmaster of Shore from 2003 to 2019, didn't agree with (and I will choose my words VERY carefully here) the direction that other GPS schools were taking in regard to their rugby programs, leaving Shore with less skilled players, inferior coaching staff and inferior facilities.

This, in turn, put Shore at a severe disadvantage in the competition. It was quite embarrassing being at GPS functions and being the laughingstock of the GPS.

However, Dr Wright's tenure as Shore Headmaster ended and Dr Petterson took over in 2020. Immediate changes saw Masters in Charge of Rugby resigning, along with the opening of the R A I Grant Centre (which are the best facilities in the GPS), new professional coaching staff, a different approach to how players were trained, and the following of other GPS schools in their approach towards the rugby program. Shore have also made Rugby not only a sporting priority but the main sport of the school. The main sport has typically been rowing.

These changes, along with strong younger age groups at the time of which the changes occurred, continue even after the sacking of Dr Petterson in 2022. They have allowed Shore to become competitive once more. They are no longer just free competition points.

Also, the school's belief in their team has helped drastically. In 2022, Shore beat Riverview at Northbridge. Their first win in 6 years at that point in time. For myself, that was the day that Shore Rugby truly changed.

Though, I didn't believe this until two weeks later, when Shore took on Scots at Bellevue Hill. I will say that I was in my final year at Shore in 2022 and so I made it a mission to go and support my school at every Rugby match that season. I knew that Shore COULD beat Scots on that day, having beaten Newington the week before, but I had an inkling of a feeling that it was too big of an ask.

It was one of the great schoolboy rugby matches. Shore played a brilliant second half that ended with Daimon Pin, the flyhalf, nailing an insane drop goal from close to the touchline. I remember all of us rushed onto the field to jump on all the boys, thinking the match was over. Turns out the match was, in fact, not over (we got a stern talking to the week after and I believe an apology was issued to The Scots College), but Shore still managed to hold onto the win.

That season was the catalyst for the school now believing in their rugby team and their chances of finally tasting GPS glory.

Last edited:

thesolicitor

Allen Oxlade (6)
Dr Wright, Headmaster of Shore from 2003 to 2019, didn't agree with (and I will choose my words VERY carefully here) the direction that other GPS schools were taking in regard to their rugby programs, leaving Shore with less skilled players, inferior coaching staff and inferior facilities.

This, in turn, put Shore at a severe disadvantage in the competition. It was quite embarrassing being at GPS functions and being the laughingstock of the GPS.

However, Dr Wright's tenure as Shore Headmaster ended and Dr Petterson took over in 2020. Immediate changes saw Masters in Charge of Rugby resigning, along with the opening of the R A I Grant Centre (which are the best facilities in the GPS), new professional coaching staff, a different approach to how players were trained, and the following of other GPS schools in their approach towards the rugby program. Shore have also made Rugby not only a sporting priority but the main sport of the school. The main sport has typically been rowing.

These changes, along with strong younger age groups at the time of which the changes occurred, continue even after the sacking of Dr Petterson in 2022. They have allowed Shore to become competitive once more. They are no longer just free competition points.
Shore school is doing well to improve their rugby and at the same time come 24th in the hsc in 2023

Rookie21

Larry Dwyer (12)
Anyone know what the Shore boys were singing at half time? Assuming it’s some sort of GPS song as the only lyrics I caught were “…from Riverview to Scots!”
"We're never gonna stop, from Riverview to Scots!" Never heard this one before and I like it a lot. Any Shore supporters heard this one?