• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC Rnd 6: NSW Country v QLD Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Amazingly for Taniela Tupou, it was just 12months ago that the Reds signed him as a schoolboy from New Zealand, Slipper debut'd for the Reds at 20years old which is remarkably young, Taniela could even trump that.
I keep thinking they need to be patient with Tupou as he is so young - but gee he doesn't show any signs that he wouldn't step up does he. It'll be very interesting next year where he sits in the pecking order.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I'd be surprised if Tupou doesn't make his Super Rugby debut next year.

He was excellent last night and continues to improve.

As an Eagles fan I was pretty disappointed by the result. They probably did quite well to stay in it given how much they were demolished in the scrums but there were a few opportunities that they blew.

I thought Lance played really well in the conditions. Mitch Short was excellent. Still amazed that he didn't get selected for the U20 RWC team.

Intruder

Dave Cowper (27)
Fa'agase can play both sides, although I think he's been a better tighthead. I think Fa'agase is a technically excellent scrummager, but his lack of size prevents him from taking the next step up. If you have seen him close up you'll know what I mean.

The maturity of Tupou at 18 is amazing too, and you might through in Alex Mafi too while we're at it. That front row from the Eagles isn't bad at all for this level, but Qld Country made it look silly, as they have done to other teams. Hirsimaki has also been scrumming very well at the NRC level.

The Reds have some of the best young prop talent on their books at the moment with Talakai, Fa'agase (who I worry about being a little small for a Super Rugby THP), Paraka (who I worry a little about his mobility as the game goes on) and Tupou.

With 3 out 4 of those guys preferring THP, it's inevitable some will head to other pastures sadly.

I thought that the insane amount of injuries for Qld Country for the second year running was a crying shame (e.g. currently both Faingaas, CFS, Greene, Magnay, Lolo, Paia'aua, Quirk, Samo, Tui, Perese, Hirsimaki) but some of the names they have been calling up are really interesting.

It's quite amazing the work Nick Stiles has done with the young Reds front row. They are all real young as matter of fact in Front Rower terms they are toddlers.

Tupou 19
A Mafi 19
Paraka 21
Ready 21
Faagase 23
Talakai 23
M Mafi 23

Tupou actually came through rugby ranks perferring to play on the LHP side and had been converted to THP, the Reds will continue to be patient with him. Especially with Holmes coming to the end of his career. Faagase is also no stranger to LHP and with Slipper out injured it is tipped in QLD that he will push for that position, a spot him and Paraka and Daley will fight out for.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
...As an Eagles fan I was pretty disappointed by the result. They probably did quite well to stay in it given how much they were demolished in the scrums but there were a few opportunities that they blew.

I thought Lance played really well in the conditions. Mitch Short was excellent. Still amazed that he didn't get selected for the U20 RWC team.
They were demolished in the scrum,but they still had the lions share of the ball.
IMO,the game was lost in the first 1/2.
They had a gale behind them,and had 2/3 of possession,and couldnt convert theses advantages into enough points.
Lance offered very little apart from territory last night in my eyes. I thought he was outplayed by his opposite,and was disappointing,as were the young Tahs 12 & 15.
Short & Stubbs both played wellI thought.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Lance offered very little apart from territory last night in my eyes. I thought he was outplayed by his opposite,and was disappointing,as were the young Tahs 12 & 15.

Really? I didn't think Taumata did much well at all. His kicking was poor and the QC (Quade Cooper) backline offered less than the Eagles did.

I agree that Horwitz had a generally poor game and Kellaway struggled to get involved enough.

The Eagles definitely squandered some good chances in the first half and that was where the game was lost.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
This week will be a challenge for their scrum, Mafi and Tupou are both 19yrs old and Fa'agase is playing out of position at loosehead prop

Remember when some of us used to worry about the short supply of props in our game.

We forgot about the Tongans!!!

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
How nice is it to be able to have a conversation centred around the quality of our up and coming props.

The great things is that most of them seem to be able to BOTH scrum well and contribute around the field - rather than either/or.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
he didn't get on.

I thought Lance was solid. I don't agree that Dion outplayed him. I think Dion did ok as a replacement for Greene but I thought he was REALLY inconsistent and I never felt he was in control.

Tupou actually came through rugby ranks perferring to play on the LHP side and had been converted to THP, the Reds will continue to be patient with him. Especially with Holmes coming to the end of his career.

Gosh they don't need to push him for Holmes. I think Talakai (with no Kepu next year) is the next Wallaby THP. I think he's been supurb this NRC.

Tupou might be better off at LHP, particularly given his mobility. I'd love to think Slipper will be around for ages but as he's played 69 tests and 82 games for QLD, I wouldn't be surprised if he's only here for a couple more seasons.

Or if his body just doesn't hold up.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The Eagles absolutely dominated this match apart from the scrum. QLD got about 20 penalties from their scrum it was incredible.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Dour game....reckon Eagles needed to win that game to have chance at final 4 spot....

Reckon Perth spirit going to have strong run home again to get into final 4 is my prediction...

T

TOCC

The Eagles absolutely dominated this match apart from the scrum. QLD got about 20 penalties from their scrum it was incredible.

Yes and I think its healthy for the competition and Australian rugby to have contrasting styles of play been played at NRC level. QLD Country may have inadvertently been forced to rely on their scrum due to lack of combinations and injuries in the backline, but it seems they have learnt to use the scrum as an attacking weapon.

I remember at the start of NRC people were critical suggesting that the competition detracted from the set piece, initially in the first season that might have been the case but in the later half of 2014 and more so in 2015 the importance of a strong scrum has apparent.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
yeah I really enjoyed it too.

As I said elsewhere, a tactically enjoyable match to watch considering the conditions.

BH, I enjoyed the commentary. Except for Waugh. Thought he was pretty dire.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
BH, I enjoyed the commentary. Except for Waugh. Thought he was pretty dire.

One of the best moments was when Hoiles paid him out for being tight (about not opening his wallet).

If Waugh wasn't there, that couldn't have happened.

I agree with you though. I don't really like Waugh's rugby commentary/analysis.

Even as a Waratahs fan, my general response to his suggestions are TOO MANY TAHS.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
another great moment was when Setu put the big hit on Kellaway and Waugh got all up in arms about protecting our stars.

Both Moloney and Hoiles couldn't believe his reaction considering how he played (remember the Lions v Tahs game of 01)

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
another great moment was when Setu put the big hit on Kellaway and Waugh got all up in arms about protecting our stars.

Both Moloney and Hoiles couldn't believe his reaction considering how he played (remember the Lions v Tahs game of 01)

I only remember Duncan McRae from 2001.

I bet Phil bullied a few ginger kids in his day.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Waugh was skipper of the team (at 21 or something ridiculous). I remember him interviewed after the game, bloodied and ragged, just happy as larry that they had really taken it to the Lions physically.

Status
Not open for further replies.