• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC Rnd 6: NSW Country v QLD Country

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Look, QLD will get pumped here but there are some fascinating names in this list.

Mack Mason was a schoolboy star for Churchie last year (10) who went to the Storm. Seems we haven't lost him

Lagi Setu, another schoolboy star who has returned from league, will start in the centres (as opposed to the backrow where he played at school).

Tyrone Lefau who has been tearing it up in the Premier comp, and is a form ITM player.

The Tongan THor to start at THP. HE'S 18 PEOPLE!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Old mate Beau is back too!

https://fbcdn-photos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-xpf1/v/t1.0-0/s480x480/12036601_836376139792966_8782968394664623740_n.jpg?oh=b1da8f2bace4a23cc2987fe68beffd2d&oe=569C8E19&__gda__=1449204388_5e63d6be76a714c4b5645505283826d1

T

TOCC

-Beau Robinson returns for NSW Country
-Taniela Tupou earns his first start in the NRC, Melbourne Storm U20s player Mack Mason also on the bench for QLD Country

CSU Country Eagles team to play QLD Country:
1. JEROME VAAI
2. TOM SEXTON
3. DAVID FEAO
4. SAM LOUSI
5. TOM STANIFORTH
6. BEAU ROBINSON
7. MARK BALDWIN
8. SAM FIGG
9. MITCH SHORT
10. JONO LANCE (C)
11. CHARLIE CLIFTON
12. DAVID HORWITZ
13. ED STUBBS
14. JAROME MACKENZIE
15. ANDREW KELLAWAY

16. PETER NAU
17. DANE MARAKI
18. ANDREW COLLINS
19. NICK PALMER
20. BJ EDWARDS
21. ANGUS PULVER
22. WILL FAY
23. JACK PENNINGTON

Queensland Country team to play CSU Country Eagles:
1. Sef Fa’agase – Reds/University of Queensland/Beaudesert
2. Alex Mafi – Reds/Bond University/Gold Coast
3. Taniela Tupou – Reds/Brothers
4. Tyrell Barker – Easts
5. Phil Potgieter – University of Queensland/Toowoomba
6. Maclean Jones – University of Queensland/St George
7. Conor Mitchell – University of Queensland/Sunshine Coast
8. James Turner – Souths/Cairns
9. James Tuttle – Reds/GPS
10. Dion Taumata – Bond University/Gold Coast
11. Pierce Fitzgerald – Brothers/Townsville
12. Lagi Setu
13. Tyrone Lefau – Wests
14. Tom Banks – Reds/University of Queensland
15. Elliott Hagen – Easts/Sunshine Coast

16. Campbell Wakely – University of Queensland/Gold Coast
17. AJ Campbell – Easts/Gold Coast
18. Andrew Parker – Townsville Brothers/Townsvile
19. Sam Reiser – University of Queensland
20. Jack Cornelsen – University of Queensland/Gold Coast
21. Scott Malolua – Souths
22. Mack Mason – Mitchell
23. Matt Gordon – Easts/ Toowoomba

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Where would QLD Country be without their scrum? I've seen all but one of their games and I reckon at least 80% of scrums result in a penalty to them. Amazing stuff.

T

TOCC

This week will be a challenge for their scrum, Mafi and Tupou are both 19yrs old and Fa'agase is playing out of position at loosehead prop

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
This week will be a challenge for their scrum, Mafi and Tupou are both 19yrs old and Fa'agase is playing out of position at loosehead prop

They're playing right now.. and won a penalty off every scrum - that's why I made the comment.

Reactions: TSR

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Good win to QLD Country 24 - 16. Gave them next to no chance, but terrible conditions worked in their favour.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
You have to start feeling more confident in the strength of our scrummaging with some of the talent coming through.

At this stage Tupou is showing amazing promise.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
There is some serious front row talent coming through. As well as Tupou, I though Mafi and Fa'agase were very impressive as well. With Fainga'a and Holmes getting to the end of their careers, the emergence of these guys seems to be coming at the exact right time.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Fa'agase can play both sides, although I think he's been a better tighthead. I think Fa'agase is a technically excellent scrummager, but his lack of size prevents him from taking the next step up. If you have seen him close up you'll know what I mean.

The maturity of Tupou at 18 is amazing too, and you might through in Alex Mafi too while we're at it. That front row from the Eagles isn't bad at all for this level, but Qld Country made it look silly, as they have done to other teams. Hirsimaki has also been scrumming very well at the NRC level.

The Reds have some of the best young prop talent on their books at the moment with Talakai, Fa'agase (who I worry about being a little small for a Super Rugby THP), Paraka (who I worry a little about his mobility as the game goes on) and Tupou.

With 3 out 4 of those guys preferring THP, it's inevitable some will head to other pastures sadly.

I thought that the insane amount of injuries for Qld Country for the second year running was a crying shame (e.g. currently both Faingaas, CFS, Greene, Magnay, Lolo, Paia'aua, Quirk, Samo, Tui, Perese, Hirsimaki) but some of the names they have been calling up are really interesting.

T

TOCC

I agree with all those points Ash, on Fa'agase i just think he has a slightly unusual body shape rather then been too small. He isn't your typical big barrel chested prop, he has a quite lean upper body with a large proportion of his size in his lower body.

Amazingly for Taniela Tupou, it was just 12months ago that the Reds signed him as a schoolboy from New Zealand, Slipper debut'd for the Reds at 20years old which is remarkably young, Taniela could even trump that.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Fa'agase can play both sides, although I think he's been a better tighthead. I think Fa'agase is a technically excellent scrummager, but his lack of size prevents him from taking the next step up. If you have seen him close up you'll know what I mean.

The maturity of Tupou at 18 is amazing too, and you might through in Alex Mafi too while we're at it. That front row from the Eagles isn't bad at all for this level, but Qld Country made it look silly, as they have done to other teams. Hirsimaki has also been scrumming very well at the NRC level.

The Reds have some of the best young prop talent on their books at the moment with Talakai, Fa'agase (who I worry about being a little small for a Super Rugby THP), Paraka (who I worry a little about his mobility as the game goes on) and Tupou.

With 3 out 4 of those guys preferring THP, it's inevitable some will head to other pastures sadly.

I thought that the insane amount of injuries for Qld Country for the second year running was a crying shame (e.g. currently both Faingaas, CFS, Greene, Magnay, Lolo, Paia'aua, Quirk, Samo, Tui, Perese, Hirsimaki) but some of the names they have been calling up are really interesting.
You're right Ash - Hirsimaki is one to watch too and has been playing well. As you say, inevitably some of these guys will need to seek greener pastures as the Reds aren't going to be able to give all of them a shot. But that is the way it is and I am happy with that. It is a good thing for Australian rugby and at least the Reds get first shot at them.
It is disappointing that the injury toll has been so high - but even that has a silver lining. Guys like Mafi & Lagi Setu are getting time so we can see what they've got (although I would prefer Paia'aua, Magnay & CFS to be getting that game time).

Status
Not open for further replies.