• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC Rnd 5: UC Vikings v Sydney Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Players move all the time to play, that's part of being a pro. Plus if they're going back to the city they're from there's more options than a new city. Parents, mates etc.

That's all well and good if they don't have a pre-existing contract........... o_O

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Jeez Qwerty - which other Super franchise had the confidence in Ita Vaea to keep him through two years or more of serious injury issues and to give him the opportunity to play again?

What do the Brumbies have to do with the NRC? This is my whole point, the NRC sides should be disassociated from their Super Rugby clubs.

And as for the poor model of Super associated NRC teams, who are the successful NRC sides this year or last?

Huh? The poor model is the linkage of the Super Rugby sides because it create inequity.

You can claim NSW needs to reduce it's teams but there's barely any Super rugby players playing for any of them already. There's other issues like Super Rugby clubs who have a big exodus and big representation in the Test side.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
Qwerty I don't entirely disagree but I can't see the employer allowing staff to work for someone else. So limit the the match day 23 to 5, 10, 12, whatever contracted players. This will still not stop the problem with injuries taking the cream from the non super NRC teams

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What do the Brumbies have to do with the NRC? This is my whole point, the NRC sides should be disassociated from their Super Rugby clubs.

That's just chaos..........

Right now we have a direct pathway model that connects local competitions to their respective Super Rugby teams............

Also, how do we expect these teams to succeed without support from the Super Rugby franchises?

Don't the 4 NSW teams have access to players from the best club rugby competition in the country?

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Geez not a good look.

Can we expect this again with the Rising on the weekend now that big boppers like Lopeti Timani and Luke Jones are back??

I agree with Qwerty here. I think it's incorrect to say that NSW has too many teams when other clubs have Soup players on the bench.

The talent is there, but it's been mis-distributed IMO.

Heck, Victoria could almost have two competitive teams here if they split up their Rebels players...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
They had to lend them a player?

In future you might want to make sure to differentiate between the Tuggeranong Vikings and the Canberra Vikings, otherwise the Queanbeyan and Royals supporters might get their panties in a bunch.... ;)

Quoted the Players club affiliations direct from the Sydney Stars Web Site.

Edit: The Ponies/Vikings (not the Tuggeranong one) had to lend a player to the Eagles as well, after ARU wouldn't allow Staniforth to play in the ITM Cup.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Not exactly. 8k-20k for 3 months. You couldn't be full time pro but neither is anyone in the ITM Cup.

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Just to reiterate about the distribution.
11 Soup players in the XV
3 on the bench.
Rising by 40+

1. Cruze Ah-Nau (Footscray & Rebels, 9 Melbourne Rising caps)
2. Pat Leafa (Box Hill & Rebels, 12 Melbourne Rising caps)
3. Duncan Chubb (Southern Districts (NSW), 3 Melbourne Rising caps)
4. Sam Jeffries (Melbourne Uni & Rebels, 11 Melbourne Rising caps)
5. Steve Cummins (Harlequin & Rebels, 3 Melbourne Rising caps)
6. Jordy Reid (Melbourne Unicorns & Rebels, 3 Melbourne Rising caps)
7. Colby Fainga’a (Footscray & Rebels, 3 Melbourne Rising caps) (Captain)
8. Lopeti Timani (Footscray & Rebels, 9 Melbourne Rising caps)
9. Ben Meehan (Box Hill & Rebels, 6 Melbourne Rising caps)
10. Jack Debreczeni (Endeavour Hills & Rebels, 12 Melbourne Rising caps)
11. Stacey Ili (Melbourne Uni, 2 Melbourne Rising caps)
12. Lloyd Johansson (Harlequin, 12 Melbourne Rising caps)
13. Dom Shipperley (Melbourne Uni & Rebels, 1 Melbourne Rising cap)
14. Filipe Vilitati (Box Hill, 2 Melbourne Rising caps)
15. Jonah Placid (Melbourne Uni & Rebels, 10 Melbourne Rising caps)

16. Mitch Andrews (Melbourne Unicorns, 1 Melbourne Rising cap)
17. Fereti Sa’aga (Melbourne Uni, 5 Melbourne Rising caps)
18. Tom Moloney (Brothers (QLD), 1 Melbourne Rising cap)
19. Luke Jones (Moorabbin & Rebels, 9 Melbourne Rising caps)
20. Scott Fuglistaller (Moorabbin & Rebels, 3 Melbourne Rising caps)
21. Maradona Farao (Harlequin, 2 Melbourne Rising caps)
22. Sione Tuipulotu (Southern Districts, 3 Melbourne Rising caps)
23. Tom English (Melbourne Uni & Rebels, 9 Melbourne Rising caps)

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
So you want pro rugby players to relocate to Sydney for two and a half months to get paid $800 a week?

I presume no family would be joining them on that pay envelope.

Rent, food, transport. they'd be out of pocket as it is.

I understand this is financially difficult in year 2 and running on an oily rag, however, doesn't the Waratahs have accommodation for their players?

Where is Duncan Chubb from Southern Districts staying in Melbourne??

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Not exactly. 8k-20k for 3 months. You couldn't be full time pro but neither is anyone in the ITM Cup.

Every NRC club (except the Vikings) is already making a loss.

Even your dole-level 8k adds up to well over 300k in season match payments per team. Either tell Wozza Livingstone to tip in more cash or start charging $15 per burger.

Until then

0LbEmUA.jpg

Cpt Crow Eater

Chris McKivat (8)
Is this money for the Soup players or the club guys??

I may be wrong, but I thought I picked up somewhere that the Soup players are getting nothing extra as they are already on contracts and the club guys are being compensated slightly for time off work etc?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I understand this is financially difficult in year 2 and running on an oily rag, however, doesn't the Waratahs have accommodation for their players?

Where is Duncan Chubb from Southern Districts staying in Melbourne??

Duncan Chubb presumably doesn't have a pro contract.

I thought the whinge was about a need to relocate Super Rugby players who are already on pro contracts.

But by all means, let the Sydney Stars recruit to their heart's content from Melbourne Uni and the Harlequin club.

Put the young hopefuls up in student digs at the Camperdown campus (nice and handy to training at Uni's ground and they might even get a bit of pocket money out of their 800 a week).

... or if they're pros (getting nothing as suggested) then make them pay out of their own pocket??

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
I thought the "average" contract rate for a non-Super Rugby Player was about $5k for the NRC. Some franchises pay more, some less.

The minimum rate is $400 (not per game, but for NRC season), according to a source in RUPA.

Status
Not open for further replies.