• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC Rnd 5: UC Vikings v Sydney Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
There is one obvious solution to equalise the competition a bit, one that I posted last year but was responded to with a lot of negative comments.

That is, reduce the Sydney based sides th three and locate the NSW Country side to Queanbeyan. The Brumbies then share their Super players to the two local sides. From a Vikings' supporter point of view, I wouldn't like to see this happen, but to strengthen the Sydney weaker sides and to equalise the competition a bit, I think it would work.

Don't know what the answer is for the other Super backed NRC sides.

Or you could just simply reduce the number of players the Super Rugby affiliates are allocated (16 at present). They need to do this not long before the season they should do it a lot earlier to stop the Super Rugby affiliated sides just taking the fully fit players.

Beer Baron

Phil Hardcastle (33)
The good thing is... With the deal with fox on tenterhooks, too many games like this an either the Nic will be thinking "shit this looks bad" or Foxtel will be saying no one is watching pros thrash club players, sort your shit out or we pull the plug.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There is one obvious solution to equalise the competition a bit, one that I posted last year but was responded to with a lot of negative comments.

That is, reduce the Sydney based sides th three and locate the NSW Country side to Queanbeyan. The Brumbies then share their Super players to the two local sides. From a Vikings' supporter point of view, I wouldn't like to see this happen, but to strengthen the Sydney weaker sides and to equalise the competition a bit, I think it would work.

Don't know what the answer is for the other Super backed NRC sides.

Yep, there were one too many NSW teams from the beginning............

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
clearly three NSW sides (2 city 1 country) and no bye. possibly limit the number of super players available to the match day 23, rather than the squad.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Final score 76 - 16. Vaea MOTM again, but I would have gone for Joe Powell. An excellent all round half back's game.

For all the whingers here, there is a limit on the number of contracted players that each team can have. It just happens to be 15 or 16 at the moment. These were the rules set down at the beginning and all teams knew that. It was obviouds to most of us that Sydney had too many teams to be supported by Tahs' players, but not many Sydney-siders would accept that last year. I think most thought the Shute Shield players would be good enough to allow the four sides to be competitive - but of course, they aren't.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I don't see how there at too many NSW sides.. rugby public wise they're extremely bigger than the other states except QLD.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
There's no problem with the current cap...........

The NSW teams are just stretched too thin for talent.............

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
geez qwerty look at the results last year and this. its not about the available market its about the available product.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
This is out of hand.

Introduce a minimum Super Rugby players quota next season.

Nope. Won't work because NRC teams themselves can only afford to pay peanuts.

Needs better alignment with Supe teams and their unions. Suspect there will be a consolidation in Sydney.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
geez qwerty look at the results last year and this. its not about the available market its about the available product.

The problem I see here is for some reason you think the Super Rugby sides are inherently linked to the NRC sides, that's a poor model to work off. The out of state NRC sides aren't any more entitled to the Super Rugby players any more than the NSW ones. In fact the NSW ones are more entitled to those players given they produced/developed them, getting them playing back to their roots would create more interest/tribalism too.

Minimum Super Rugby players rule. Simple.

Vikings, Rising, Spirit, City can get first pick and then they offload the others. Dargaville and Vaea were key players of the Stars and Country last year. It's just so stupid they're left to play for an already stacked team.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
produced/developed them, getting them playing back to their roots would create more interest/tribalism too.
If that came with a wage sufficient to entice a player to move from his existing home for three months then you're talking turkey.

Until then, it's free to dream.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The out of state NRC sides aren't any more entitled to the Super Rugby players any more than the NSW ones. In fact the NSW ones are more entitled to those players given they produced/developed them, getting them playing back to their roots would create more interest/tribalism too.

Entitlement?

I'm not one to normally use this term, but seriously - lol....................

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Players move all the time to play, that's part of being a pro. Plus if they're going back to the city they're from there's more options than a new city. Parents, mates etc.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
:(:(
The problem I see here is for some reason you think the Super Rugby sides are inherently linked to the NRC sides, that's a poor model to work off. The out of state NRC sides aren't any more entitled to the Super Rugby players any more than the NSW ones. In fact the NSW ones are more entitled to those players given they produced/developed them, getting them playing back to their roots would create more interest/tribalism too.

Minimum Super Rugby players rule. Simple.

Vikings, Rising, Spirit, City can get first pick and then they offload the others. Dargaville and Vaea were key players of the Stars and Country last year. It's just so stupid they're left to play for an already stacked team.

:(:(:(

Jeez Qwerty - which other Super franchise had the confidence in Ita Vaea to keep him through two years or more of serious injury issues and to give him the opportunity to play again?

Get off the hobby horse. It is what it is for this year at least. I really think you are in the minority if you think Sydney can support four teams at the NRC level.

And as for the poor model of Super associated NRC teams, who are the successful NRC sides this year or last?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Players move all the time to play, that's part of being a pro. Plus if they're going back to the city they're from there's more options than a new city. Parents, mates etc.

Not for free they don't, mate.

You think Bernard Foley is going to Japan to experience a foreign culture and earn some air miles, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.