• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC Rnd 5: UC Vikings v Sydney Stars

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
4rLnog3b_normal.jpg
vs
sydney-stars-rugby-logo2.png

Where: Viking Park, Canberra
When: Thursday 17 September, Kickoff 7:30 pm AEST
Match Referee: Damien Mitchelmore
Assistant Referees: James Morris, Matt Hogan
Television Match Official: Sarah Corrigan

Broadcast Information: LIVE on Fox Sports Channel 502

2015 UC Vikings Form Guide: BWWW
2015 Sydney Stars Form Guide: WWWL

Last Time They Met: 20/09/14; Sydney Stars 37 - 37 UC Vikings; Leichhardt Oval, Sydney

Match Notes: Both the Vikings and Stars have already won more matches this season than they did in 2014.

4rLnog3b_normal.jpg
UC Vikings
1. Allan Ala'alatoa
2. Robbie ABEL
3. Ben ALEXANDER
4. Rory ARNOLD
5. Blake ENEVER
6. Jordan SMILER
7. Jarrad BUTLER (c)
8. Ita VAEA
9. Joe POWELL
10. Christian LEALIIFANO
11. Lausii TALIUALI
12. Rodney IONA
13. Nigel AH WONG
14. James DARGAVILLE
15. Isaac THOMPSON

16. Albert ANAE
17. Sione TAULA
18. Leslie LEULUA'IALI’I-MAKIN
19. Dean OAKMAN-HUNT
20. Rowan PERRY
21. Brent HAMLIN
22. Mitch THIRD
23. Frankie FAINIFO

sydney-stars-rugby-logo2.png
Sydney Stars
1. Tolu LATU (Sydney Uni)
2. Tom COOLICAN (Sydney Uni)
3. Matt SANDELL (Sydney Uni)
4. Jeremy TILSE (Sydney Uni)
5. Matt PHILIP (VC) (Sydney Uni)
6. Michael KOVACIC (Eastwood)
7. Ofa FINAU (Balmain)
8. Mitchell WHITELEY (Sydney Uni)
9. Jake GORDON (Sydney Uni)
10. Jordan McGREGOR (Southern Districts)
11. Harry JONES (Warringah)
12. Tom CARTER (Sydney Uni)
13. Jim STEWART (Sydney Uni)
14. John HALE (Balmain)
15. Tom KINGSTON (C) (Sydney Uni)

16. Declan MOORE (Sydney Uni)
17. Alastair RYAN (Sydney Uni)
18. Alasdair KING (Sydney Uni)
19. Nick COLDRAKE (Sydney Uni)
20. Jake WAINWRIGHT (Sydney Uni)
21. Richard DRAPER (Sydney Uni)
22. Christian KAGIASSIS (Sydney Uni)
23. Andrew ROBINSON (Canberra Vikings)

@RugbyReg says (http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/nrc-2015-round-5-preview/)
With the 2nd placed Vikings hosting the 3rd placed Stars, there is a different complexion to this match when compared to when these teams faced each other last year. In 2014 these teams also faced off in Round 5 and it was to be an interesting matchup. The Stars entered that game having not won a game, whilst the Vikings were travelling along pretty healthily with just one close loss. The 37-all draw would be the Stars first points of the NRC, whilst the Vikings would not enjoy success for the rest of the season.
Move forward a year and the Vikings are undefeated and looking almost unstoppable, whilst the Stars have only just suffered their first loss of the season. Canberra have been able to strengthen their side for this round’s match via test players Christian Lealiifano and Ben Alexander, whilst the Stars’ depth is being put under pressure through a number of injuries.
Key Match ups:
Two-time GAGR ‘Team of the Weeker’, Matt Philip, has been one of the form forwards of the NRC so far, providing a consistency of performance whilst the Star’s pack has chopped and changed around him. This week he faces an unsung hero of the dominant Vikings pack, in former Queensland Red, Blake Enever. The Vikings will field probably the strongest lineout in the competition this week (against a team with a prop in the 2nd row) and Enever will be at the heart of it. Add to that his excellent work rate around the field and Enever is relishing in his starting role for the Canberra outfit.
Fresh from scoring a brace of tries for the Stars in their hard fought loss to the Eagles last week, Harry Jones will come up against and equally adept finisher in Lausii Taliauliof the Vikings. Whilst the quick-footed Taliauli hasn’t scored the number of tries the fleet-footed Jones has, both players are key attacking options for their respective sides and important finishers for any half chances that may come their way.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
No Dave Dennis, No Pat McCutcheon, No Paddy Ryan. No David Hickey. Have they been rested until the finals (if they make them) ?

Angus Roberts missing (2nd highest try scorer so far) - injured or rested?

No Tom Robertson - injured? He has been playing well so far.

For the Vikings, I like the look of Christian Lilo at 10. Vikings may be rather travel weary, but look very balanced and strong across the park. I like the look of their forward pack, and their loose forwards will prove to be an absolute handful for the Twinkling Stars. The Vikings bench looks very powerful.

This could get ugly.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
When you have TolU Laut at LHP and Jeremy Tilse at Lock you know it's not gonna be a good night for the Stars. I'm with Qwerty...50+

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
No Dave Dennis, No Pat McCutcheon, No Paddy Ryan. No David Hickey. Have they been rested until the finals (if they make them) ?

Angus Roberts missing (2nd highest try scorer so far) - injured or rested?

No Tom Robertson - injured? He has been playing well so far.

For the Vikings, I like the look of Christian Lilo at 10. Vikings may be rather travel weary, but look very balanced and strong across the park. I like the look of their forward pack, and their loose forwards will prove to be an absolute handful for the Twinkling Stars. The Vikings bench looks very powerful.

This could get ugly.

McCutcheon - Sevens
Ryan - IIRC surgery
Hickey - broken hand

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Peter Playford came out and said he prefers to play the game without possesion. I wonder if he still feels the same and will use those tactics in this game.

How about that lineout miss-match? A couple of 2m+ locks for the Vikings, plus Smiler. And the Stars have Tilse in at lock.

Merrow

Arch Winning (36)
Peter Playford came out and said he prefers to play the game without possesion. I wonder if he still feels the same and will use those tactics in this game.

How about that lineout miss-match? A couple of 2m+ locks for the Vikings, plus Smiler. And the Stars have Tilse in at lock.
They're certainly playing without it tonight.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What good is this comp with inequity like this? And this has nothing to do with the Stars only being propped up by Uni. They've broadened their pool this year.

It's club rugby vs a proper Super Rugby pack. Cull Vikings, Rising, Spirit, City.

oztimmay

Tony Shaw (54)
Staff member
I thought it was madness to play a hooker at prop and a prop at lock. I was right.

Aside from Kingston, the stars backline have nobody. Even TC is giving nothing tonight (sorry Waratah Jesus)

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
There is one obvious solution to equalise the competition a bit, one that I posted last year but was responded to with a lot of negative comments.

That is, reduce the Sydney based sides th three and locate the NSW Country side to Queanbeyan. The Brumbies then share their Super players to the two local sides. From a Vikings' supporter point of view, I wouldn't like to see this happen, but to strengthen the Sydney weaker sides and to equalise the competition a bit, I think it would work.

Don't know what the answer is for the other Super backed NRC sides.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
This is out of hand.

Introduce a minimum Super Rugby players quota next season.

A guy like Dargaville should be playing for the Stars.
I am with you qwert it was bad last week when Bris City ran away with it against the Rays. If we want the NRC to last they have to stop teams being stacked with super rugby players like the Vikings are tonight.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Geez just shows how amateur this comp is. Coolican sitting in the sin bin with a personal hoodie on.

upthereds#!

Peter Johnson (47)
I understand the Stars are missing a chunk of their Super Rugby signed players like dennis, ryan & mcutcheon, which would solidify their pack BUT .....

prettttty sure when they started the NRC they did say there was a maximum amount of Super Rugby players allowed in a squad....wasnt it 10 or 11, PLUS marquee wallabies who would never/rarely play?

Brumbies have 14 at least tonight - PLUS fainifo and abel who just dont have contracts at this moment...plus Aidan Toua is in the squad....Pretty much the Brumbies minus the wallabies.

Yes the Stars have players out injured - but even with them back they wouldnt have 14...in ADDITION to their marquee players.

Queensland City and Country would almost be as bad if it wasn't for all their injuries.

IMO - considering players often take overseas contracts at this time, the Wallaby players are not available, and many more use this time to get surgical work done - EITHER...NSW needs LESS teams, OR a strict maximum quote of Super Rugby players in the MATCH DAY 23 should be enforced.

seriously....14 against..what..2? Ridiculous

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
See why is there a maximum quota rather than a minimum..

What on earth has happened to Lealiifano's place kicking. He won't get a spot in the Wallabies with this crap.

Status
Not open for further replies.