• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC Rnd 4: Brisbane City v North Harbour Rays

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Kerevi gets meat after the siren sounds. 52-29 to the City folk.

Taefu adds the extras to take the score to 55 - 29 to the H-L Shield defenders.

The Hoff toots the tooter to signal no game.

Brisbane City 55 - 29 North Harbour Rays.

Brisbane City 55 (8T: Penalty Try (12), L. Gill (13),M. Tela (18), L. Gill (38),S. Kerevi (59), N. Frisby (68),J. Laloifi (73), S. Kerevi (80); 5C: J. McIntyre (12), J. McIntyre (14), J. McIntyre (60), H. Taefu (74), H. Taefu (80)) defeated North Harbour Rays 29 ( 4T: J. Holmes (29), A. Northam (42), T. Hill (62), H. Bergelin (65); 3C: H. Angus (43), R. Hodge (63), R. Hodge (66))

Brisbane City YC to Higgenbotham, Gill
North Harbour Rays YC to Pili-Gaitau x 2 = Red Card

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Gees given the Rays have next to no Super rugby squad members in the 23 compared to Bris City they still showed that have some talented footballers.

Surprised Josh Holmes not got a super rugby contract whilst Alex Northam has some great feat as three absolutely electric breaks on the wing.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
My impression is that City absoluted dominated the breakdown and that's where the game was won. Rays forwards very slow to the breakdown, sometimes not even being present at all - see Frisby's try. Liam Gill owned the breakdown and made many turnovers.

Also thought Pili-Gaitea was perfectly within his rights to play the ball when he was red carded. He was the tackler and to my eyes was the only Rays' player over the ball when he regained his feet and picked up the ball, so my understanding is that no ruck was actually formed. Am I right, or am I right?

AussieDominance

Trevor Allan (34)
I thought his first yellow was a tad harsh as well could easily have been a scrum for accidental offside.

I thought Hoffman had a poor game he made some errors as all referees do but he also had a few moments where you just shake your head.

A) Calling Higginbotham by his first name to yellow card him - this is not RUGBY LEAGUE
B) Panicking when Pili - Guitau was red carded and showing a sense of uncertainty

I don't know if this was a big occasion for him as he has done Super Rugby games in the past but you could say he let the occasion get to him.

Northam was electric for the Rays would be interesting to see how he would go in a professional environment if they bulked him up etc.

Tahtrajic

Ted Fahey (11)
I have to say I like the way all the NRC teams are playing. I feel for the Rays the Yellow then Red cards really hurt them. After their game last week when they came back against another team full of super rugby players they can be proud of their attitude and effort. Not sure but I think they have one 1 player currently contracted to a super team and he's very inexperienced plus the Holmes brothers who have played in the past.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Also thought Pili-Gaitea was perfectly within his rights to play the ball when he was red carded. He was the tackler and to my eyes was the only Rays' player over the ball when he regained his feet and picked up the ball, so my understanding is that no ruck was actually formed. Am I right, or am I right?

I agree. If he was beaten by the ruck it was only marginal and shouldn't have been a yellow card. You could tell immediately when Hoffman became aware that it was going to be a red card that he regretted the snap decision.

I also don't think Pili-Gaitau should have been yellow carded the first time. Of course the most likely cause when a ball flies backwards when a player is tackled as they are passing is that the ball hit the tackler causing it to change directions but it isn't a sure thing. A tackle can cause the bad pass as well and I don't think you can fairly say it is offside rather than accidental offside when it isn't clear who the ball touched last.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
I can only assume the first yellow of Pilly-G was due to the 'seriousness of the offence' as deemed by Hoff and also just prior I believe there was conversation between Hoff and captain Holmes about the amount of penalties being given away (although most were scrum infringements) and that probably factored into the decision.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
The score line flatters Brisbane big time.
For theRays to get within 5 late in the game,after bring one short for most of the night,was quite impressive.
They started the season as favourites to win the spoon,and have subsequently lost 3 of their best forwards to NH contracts.
They are definitely better than the sum of their parts,so kudos to the coaching staff.
Brisbane,on the other hand whilst winning,do not seem to be living up to their cv's.Gill has been stellar in each game,the other super players, not so much.
Whilst they are each doing some good things in each game,they seem to drift in and out of games.
After Bisbane scored their second try,most thought it was going to be a slaughter.They just seem to go through the motions,expecting it just to happen for them.Or are they waiting for someone else to make it happen?
Either way,if they played to their potential,they would be a much stronger outfit.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Was at game and enjoyed it, although I tend to agree I was unsure of the reffing. Red card was real harsh, and even Higgers was only because the ref only saw the end of incident. Was almost like his first thought on afew occasions was reach for a card, doesn't help the game. Rays were certainly good for their points, looked like they were going to get blown off park, but kept coming back.

TheBigDog

Nev Cottrell (35)
Kerevi seemed a bit disinterested in the first half but then really blew them apart near the end of the game.

I wasn't sold on KHunt's performance last night. The commentators seemed in awe of him. Some of his linking work when standing at 10/12 channel was good and a few runs showed how much he has to offer, then other times he seemed to lack a real connection with players outside him. I'm probably being a bit harsh but I think for a player of his supposed caliber, there are definitely areas that need work.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Kerevi seemed a bit disinterested in the first half but then really blew them apart near the end of the game.

I wasn't sold on KHunt's performance last night. The commentators seemed in awe of him. Some of his linking work when standing at 10/12 channel was good and a few runs showed how much he has to offer, then other times he seemed to lack a real connection with players outside him. I'm probably being a bit harsh but I think for a player of his supposed caliber, there are definitely areas that need work.

Yep i reckon Hodge out played him, involved hime self a whole heap more, and as much as i hate kicking - a far better tactical kicking game

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Yep i reckon Hodge out played him, involved hime self a whole heap more, and as much as i hate kicking - a far better tactical kicking game

Hunt wasn't brilliant. He was very very good. Three try assists, great lines, excellent communication, strong defence.

Hodge was largely anonymous. Didn't look Super Rugby standard in that one outing (whereas the likes of Melrose, Killingworth, Northam and the Holmes all stood out). Admittedly it was my first viewing of Hodge, but he didn't do much at all. As a call, saying he outplayed Hunt, is one of the most one-eyed statements I've seen on this board.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Hunt wasn't brilliant. He was very very good. Three try assists, great lines, excellent communication, strong defence.

Hodge was largely anonymous. Didn't look Super Rugby standard in that one outing (whereas the likes of Melrose, Killingworth, Northam and the Holmes all stood out). Admittedly it was my first viewing of Hodge, but he didn't do much at all. As a call, saying he outplayed Hunt, is one of the most one-eyed statements I've seen on this board.

Must be the way I saw it then, I do recall Hunts involvement when involved as good quality/ good impact. But I thought Hodge had more involvement.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Hodge made a few mistakes and his decision making wasn't always great. I really don't think he stood out at all last night.

He's certainly got the attributes to be a pro rugby player but I wouldn't expect him to make the grade in Super Rugby any time soon. I expect his opportunities will be limited for some time to come.

Hunt definitely had a far bigger impact on the game.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I thought Hunt was fantastic and can see him being very very good at Super Rugby next year.

As for the Higgers yellow card, it was very soft but I am not opposed to it if the referee is consistent and does this each week.

Nothing wrong with a referee having a reputation for not allowing stupid play on the field.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Rays were really surprising, just staying with City let alone with the cards, was impressive.

But City are looking the goods. Can only agree with the assessments of Hunt stepping up. Some lovely touches and excellent work getting others into attacking positions. If he can use the NRC to lock in these things, then step up for Super Rugby quality... It's going to be a very good thing.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
The score line flatters Brisbane big time.
For theRays to get within 5 late in the game,after bring one short for most of the night,was quite impressive.
They started the season as favourites to win the spoon,and have subsequently lost 3 of their best forwards to NH contracts.
They are definitely better than the sum of their parts,so kudos to the coaching staff.
Brisbane,on the other hand whilst winning,do not seem to be living up to their cv's.Gill has been stellar in each game,the other super players, not so much.
Whilst they are each doing some good things in each game,they seem to drift in and out of games.
After Bisbane scored their second try,most thought it was going to be a slaughter.They just seem to go through the motions,expecting it just to happen for them.Or are they waiting for someone else to make it happen?
Either way,if they played to their potential,they would be a much stronger outfit.

And I can't take Brisbane seriously until they lose the moustaches.:eek:

Status
Not open for further replies.