• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC Rnd 1: QLD Country v Canberra Vikings

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
If true then that's a little sad. I understand that he's young and is likely trying his best but at present he looks clueless doing anything other than shoveling it on. A 10, particularly a good one, needs to create as well as distribute. Often doing one willing executing the other. Unless someone can take him aside and perform an extensive rebuild I'm not convinced he has what it takes.

As in, he was probably the best 10 at the U20 WC for all the nations there.

To be blunt, if you make a decision off 1 performance I don't really rate your opinion.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I disagree about the individual skill or effort, but that's fair re: kicking game.

I think he's more Foley 2.0 rather than McIntyre 2.0, in the sense that his skills are undeniable but have gaps. This week the issue was simply beaten pack + lack of experience = struggle city.

But for most of the game, the pack wasn't beaten, at least at set piece. Plenty of opportunity for him to show his wares. Unfortunately, he didn't show much imo.

Reactions: mst

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)

To be blunt, if you make a decision off 1 performance I don't really rate your opinion.

I certainly question your opinion, judgement on this particular matter. Did you not see the ABs and England play. Their No 10s were way better than Mason. And to scare the shit out of us, if the younger Barratt comes into 10, he will be a carbon copy of Beuden. Two Barratts at 10 and 12 will in time be a joy to behold.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)

I haven't only seen one performance. I watched both the trials leading into the JWC and all the Aus games at the JWC. He has yet to change my mind and according to yesterday's effort I doubt this year NRC campaign will likely change that.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
Was probably the best 10 at the U20s WC. Patience.

Did you even watch the JWC? Harry Mallinder (10 from England) was in the running for player of the tournament and earned MoTM in the final, which they won 45-21.

Aussie ended up coming 6th, losing 2 pool games and getting thrashed by NZ. To claim best 10 at the WC u20s is farcical when players like Mallinder starred.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Not that hard to be the best 10 in the tournament when you're probably the only player in the top 8 to not either miss games through injury or play games elsewhere in the backline.

Waterboyrugby

Herbert Moran (7)
He played 10 for England in every match except their first one against Italy.

'amirite' no, you seem to get it twisted most the time.

Another quality 10, was NZ's Stephen Perofeta who is another creative 10, able to create and make line breaks and is not afraid take it to the line. What was lost out of the shared 1-1 series in Oceania was that Perofeta did not start game 2, and NZ lost alot of spark as a result. No coincidence that NZ's comeback in that match coincided with Perofeta subbing on. He created 4-5 line breaks and had a hand in a couple of tries before Mason ended up kicking the match-winning penalty.

Mason performed well in Super 20s as part of a well-structured Reds outfit and deserved selection at JWC, but was far from the best 10.

When you look at what he is asked to do it is very minimal. The Reds 20s won the 20s final on the back of a basic structure, with 1 out runners and brute force. They beat the Rebels into submission. The 10 organises forward runners and the ball rarely reaches the wings, and the 10 rarely takes the line on. There is no offloading, no counter attack. They executed that game to perfection and were in complete control.

When the linespeed is faster and the ball runners start going backwards you get no ascendency and it becomes predictable. Thats why you need a 10 who can keep the line honest and is prepared to take a shot at the line to put a team mate through. Play at the line as well as early distribution. If catch, pivot & pass is your only skillset you will fail.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I would argue that Mason was one of our best players at the JWC and probably the best 10 we have had for several years.

I think he had a better tournament than previous options such as McIntyre, and Debreczeni.

Status
Not open for further replies.