• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC Rnd 1: QLD Country v Canberra Vikings

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Staniforth at 6 was predictable, I think I mentioned it elsewhere.. Vikings had an abundance of quality locks and a shortage on on the backrow..

I think they're pretty well stacked with backrowers too........

Oakman-Hunt was a standout at 6 last year..........

Queanbeyan supporters have been getting moist all year over Noa, and Penca couldn't even make the bench...........

Although obviously not the same as having 4 quality Super Rugby locks in the team.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Interesting match up, Mason v Jooste at No 10. Both from the U20s this year.

No Sam Carter. Is he carrying an injury?

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Qld Country stabilise a little but Vikings very comfortably going about their business at the moment. Country lacking any dynamism with ball in hand. If they don't find some it could be a very tough campaign.

In the Jooste v Mason battle. Jooste is comfortably ahead. Straightens up the Vikings attack and is putting the ball in front of his runners allowing them to attack the space. Mason hasn't. Another big thing is I've seen Jooste make tackles while Mason is currently making QC (Quade Cooper) look like the world best defender. I know I'm being particularly harsh on Mason but I seriously do not understand how we go about our talent ID in this country when we let more dynamic ball players leave for a guy who every time I've seen him including in the U20s has been poor.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Photos from todays game:

Flickr or Facebook

28665606503_cfca165799_c_d.jpg

29252774076_0a2235ba3d_c_d.jpg

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Joe Powell MOTM in my eyes just ahead of Tom Staniforth who had a belter in an unfamiliar position at No 6.

Agree with WCR above, Jooste certainly outplayed Mason. Chalk and cheese. Jooste has a running game to go with managing the backline plays and he was all over Mason who only kicks (poorly) or shovels the ball on.

Vikings had some very impressive attacking raids and played with a whole lot more intent than I've seen from any Aus rugby team this year. Not as clinical as the best of the NZ Super Rugby sides or the ABs, but streets ahead of anything we've seen from the Aus Super Rugby sides and the Wallabies. Hope it's not just a one-off, like the Brumbies v Hurricanes.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Was probably the best 10 at the U20s WC. Patience.

Very few Reds' supporters are holding their patience around the way Jake McIntyre is playing at the Reds. Mason is McIntyre V2. Apart from an average kicking game, he offers very little individual skill or effort to the backline. Shovel the ball on and hope someone else can do something with it.

Reactions: mst

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Very few Reds' supporters are holding their patience around the way Jake McIntyre is playing at the Reds. Mason is McIntyre V2. Apart from an average kicking game, he offers very little individual skill or effort to the backline. Shovel the ball on and hope someone else can do something with it.

I disagree about the individual skill or effort, but that's fair re: kicking game.

I think he's more Foley 2.0 rather than McIntyre 2.0, in the sense that his skills are undeniable but have gaps. This week the issue was simply beaten pack + lack of experience = struggle city.

WorkingClassRugger

Michael Lynagh (62)
Was probably the best 10 at the U20s WC. Patience.

If true then that's a little sad. I understand that he's young and is likely trying his best but at present he looks clueless doing anything other than shoveling it on. A 10, particularly a good one, needs to create as well as distribute. Often doing one willing executing the other. Unless someone can take him aside and perform an extensive rebuild I'm not convinced he has what it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.