• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC 2017 Melbourne Rising v Fiji Drua Saturday @ 3pm

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Lots of young 'uns in the Rising team. The Fijians were excellent in capitalising on Rising errors, but both teams really had a crack. Physicality was sensational.

Quins is ordinary, agreed, but gee there was a good crowd. Bigger than I have seen for any Rising game.
Parking is also a big issue at that ground but more than made up for through proper beer at decent prices :)

I thought a lot of the Rising boys were running on fumes towards the end but that's going to happen when you're tackling 15 props all day.

D

daz

Emmanuel Latu-Meafou - he is one huge kid

I saw him twice pull out of making a hit as the opposition player had released the ball. If he had made contact, a tsunami alert would have sounded in fucking Greenland.

D

daz

Parking is also a big issue at that ground but more than made up for through proper beer at decent prices :)

I thought a lot of the Rising boys were running on fumes towards the end but that's going to happen when you're tackling 15 props all day.

Yes on both points. I feel for the locals as cars just clog the streets.

Really think the Rising should play elsewhere. Not sure why Quinn's gets all the love. Is there a deal in place? Do the profits on beer and food get split with other Dewar clubs?

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Yes on both points. I feel for the locals as cars just clog the streets.

Really think the Rising should play elsewhere. Not sure why Quinn's gets all the love. Is there a deal in place? Do the profits on beer and food get split with other Dewar clubs?
You guys got a lot of talented youngsters coming through as lot of the youngsters played well

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Obviously we want to keep Rugby clubs involved, but Ashwood just isn't good enough for me, and the other grounds have significant compromises, be they distance from fans, travel distance, pitch topography/flooding/dustbowl nature whatever.

Thinking outside the box given that the NPL is typically finished (or finishing) by the time the NRC begins, would Lakeside Oval be an option?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Highlights for us poor people who did not see the game, if ARU doesn't do anything soon, NRL will definitely pick Nacebe, he plays a bit like Radradra.

wait, so now the ARU is getting blamed for Fiji player development? What do you want the ARU to do here?

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)
Obviously we want to keep Rugby clubs involved, but Ashwood just isn't good enough for me, and the other grounds have significant compromises, be they distance from fans, travel distance, pitch topography/flooding/dustbowl nature whatever.

Thinking outside the box given that the NPL is typically finished (or finishing) by the time the NRC begins, would Lakeside Oval be an option?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
IIRC, there are a couple of problems with Lakeside: the end goal area is too short and the soccer types don't want rugby played all over their nice lawn. Otherwise, would be ideal.

When Rising played at AAMI the crowds were around the 1800-2000 mark. People seem to like having a seat.

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
wait, so now the ARU is getting blamed for Fiji player development? What do you want the ARU to do here?

A handful of times our players have been close to making a super rugby team but just because they were either capped for FIJI OR have played or their A Team, They were denied, good example, One of the best playmakers in the Australia local competition (shute shield) back in 2007 then was a young fijian kid called Sisa Waqa, Brumbies picked him up but ARU refused to register his contract with the Brumbies because he was already capped for the Fiji team so he went to NRL ..another recent one was Taniela Rawaqa who was capped for Fiji thus not allowed to sign a contract with Waratahs around 2010 ..its not about development, its about giving players a chance, we give australia quite a few players, all they can do for us is to allow some of our better players to get super rugby contracts so that atleast we do not lose them to french rugby where they are actually forced to choose club over country during the June and November tests. the sad part, volavola (rebels) is the only fiji capped player ARU have allowed since Napolioni Nalaga (force) back in 2012.

T

TOCC

Agree warpath, Australia may need to change their stance towards Fijian players, like they have with previously with Japanese players by allowing them a marquee position in the squads. Now that Japan has the Sunwolves, i think that requirement has run its course, instead Australia should support 1 or 2 marquee positions per team for those players from the Pacific Islands.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Agree warpath, Australia may need to change their stance towards Fijian players, like they have with previously with Japanese players by allowing them a marquee position in the squads. Now that Japan has the Sunwolves, i think that requirement has run its course, instead Australia should support 1 or 2 marquee positions per team for those players from the Pacinfic Islands.

Yep can only make our code stronger by having best professional players playing for Professional Rugby sides below super rugby and also stop giving free passes to rival NRL..... To me it just again highlights why professional rugby in this country has gone backwards whilst worldwide gone from strength to strength. Too much focus on the Wallabies and not enough on level below by creating sides with best talent people in Oz regions want to watch compared to athletes and talent in competing codes...and in the NRL. Strategic management of our game has had so many fails, and hence can conclude we dont' have the right people running our game.

Status
Not open for further replies.