• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC 2017 Brisbane City Fiji Drua Saturday @ 3pm

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

the Fijian fullback in this game who is more of a playmaker could be more useful to the rebels at 10 than Stephen Garden-Bachop next season. He actually scored one of the best local tries this year in Fiji's version of NRC, The Skipper Cup

Had some money on him to score a try at any point during the match, surprisingly good odds, likewise with Ed Fidow.

I thought the standard of the game was quite good, was a bit scrappy at times and towards the end both teams were looking pretty gassed. But overall, a good start to the season.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Overall a good team and rewarding the QPR form of Alatimu and Fidow, I'm not sold on the backrow, I think it's a little light weight and may struggle under the new ruck interpretations.

Surprised Frisby's not involved, injury.. or?

Broken finger from the GF. Out for a few more weeks yet.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
12-12 after 21 minutes.

Is it bad that I'm excited that Fijis inclusion in the NRC might lead to a few (more) handy Fijian backs floating around the Aus Super franchises?

Hopefully it will provide a gateway into higher representative rugby for Fijian players and diminish the Thugby League scouts from grabbing promising young players.
Apparently it was the first time a number of them were on an aeroplane.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Hopefully it will provide a gateway into higher representative rugby for Fijian players and diminish the Thugby League scouts from grabbing promising young players.
Apparently it was the first time a number of them were on an aeroplane.

Also unfortunately putting them in front of league scouts as well as super teams. Still that is the risk of any comp!

Warpath

Billy Sheehan (19)
on a positive for Fiji, their number 12 in the game, Eroni Vasiteri has signed for Connacht in the Pro12, awaiting visa for now.

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
Watching Drua to work out who to poach is a little sad.

Comfortable win to City in the end, but Drua played to the end and scored some nice late tries after it looked like they'd fade. Replacements made a difference.

Douglas, Tui were handy, and Cooper, Fidow were good in the backs. Kerevi was OK but struggled to have more of an impact I thought, looks not completely fit and confident.

Some of those finishes from Fidow were great. Very impressive.

Maranta wasn't bad as well, made a couple of breaks but struggled to link up. I thought he actually has some potential. City's back three looks nice for this level.

Not sold on City's backrow, though. Korczyk being in the Wallaby squad is just plain wrong.

Sorry mate but you are plain wrong. Watch the game again before making such sweeping remarks. I have noticed it is very easy to target any player on this forum. I think he did very well

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Sorry mate but you are plain wrong. Watch the game again before making such sweeping remarks. I have noticed it is very easy to target any player on this forum. I think he did very well

On Kerevi or Korczyk?

If Korczyk, hi Mrs Korczyk's, nice to have on the board. If you want to be lazy and say stuff like "you are plain wrong" and "watch the game again", then please provide examples of why. But I'll indulge you anyway.

You'd expect a lot bigger impact from a test squad player than Korczyk gave. He was busy certainly, but didn't really have a much larger impact on the game than his other backrow partners. I noticed Gunn more. Honestly, Korczyk has not yet convinced me he's Super Rugby starting standard even yet. The kid's had a heap of injuries and I think this has been his first year in a while without a serious one, and he's got time to develop. However, right now I would have rathered we kept, say, Browning over Korczyk.

Kerevi was very busy, but was either very marked, or struggled to bust as many tackles as you'd normally expect. Watch his highlights from his two previous years in the NRC to get an idea on what he's done at this level in the past.

PS if you don't like people giving their opinion on players freely on players in this forum, then I suggest this isn't the place for you.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Is that penalty normal? I thought it would be worse.

Low end - 12 weeks
Mid range - 18 weeks
Top end - 24+ weeks

Maximum sanction - 208 weeks

I haven't read the judiciary report but 20 weeks suggests top end with a reduction because he pleaded guilty.

Reactions: dru

redhead

Herbert Moran (7)
On Kerevi or Korczyk?

If Korczyk, hi Mrs Korczyk's, nice to have on the board. If you want to be lazy and say stuff like "you are plain wrong" and "watch the game again", then please provide examples of why. But I'll indulge you anyway.

You'd expect a lot bigger impact from a test squad player than Korczyk gave. He was busy certainly, but didn't really have a much larger impact on the game than his other backrow partners. I noticed Gunn more. Honestly, Korczyk has not yet convinced me he's Super Rugby starting standard even yet. The kid's had a heap of injuries and I think this has been his first year in a while without a serious one, and he's got time to develop. However, right now I would have rathered we kept, say, Browning over Korczyk.

Kerevi was very busy, but was either very marked, or struggled to bust as many tackles as you'd normally expect. Watch his highlights from his two previous years in the NRC to get an idea on what he's done at this level in the past.

PS if you don't like people giving their opinion on players freely on players in this forum, then I suggest this isn't the place for you.

Let me make few comments here.
First. I am not "Mrs Korczyk" as you suggest. I guess its rather unkind to her to be implicated here.
I have been following this forum for many years but only recently I noticed that few of the commentators appear to target certain young players with little or none justification
I realise that you are entitled to your opinion. I accept this fully. I also know that you have your favourite players and focus/ write on anything good they do on the field. This is also fine. I also understand that you would be less likely to give credit to other players when they deserve it. I even understand this. But lately on this forum I have come accross comments on young Wallabies including Korczyk, Hanigan and others who are very negative and some plain untrue. I watch all games and try to analyse their performance as I believe they are the future stars. To give you examples comments were made after QLD premier final that Korczyk played poorly which was plainly untrue ( plese see Reg comment on this forum, he made this clear in his response).
Korczyk may not have been so visible during his last game as try scorers but he went through a lot of work. Won penalty close to opposition line, forced lost ball in lineout to mention few.
Lastly. I guess you last point is very valid. I will happily stop commenting on this forum again as long as you think twice about making such negative and baseless remarks about any players in the future. Writing that such and such inclusion is plain wrong as you did is very disappointing and does not give your rugby acumen any credit. Greeting.

manwithcaninhand

Peter Burge (5)
Low end - 12 weeks
Mid range - 18 weeks
Top end - 24+ weeks

Maximum sanction - 208 weeks

I haven't read the judiciary report but 20 weeks suggests top end with a reduction because he pleaded guilty.
Apparently his penalty was reduced by 4 weeks because he had his mouthguard in. Jolly decent of him.

T

TOCC

Let me make few comments here.
First. I am not "Mrs Korczyk" as you suggest. I guess its rather unkind to her to be implicated here.
I have been following this forum for many years but only recently I noticed that few of the commentators appear to target certain young players with little or none justification
I realise that you are entitled to your opinion. I accept this fully. I also know that you have your favourite players and focus/ write on anything good they do on the field. This is also fine. I also understand that you would be less likely to give credit to other players when they deserve it. I even understand this. But lately on this forum I have come accross comments on young Wallabies including Korczyk, Hanigan and others who are very negative and some plain untrue. I watch all games and try to analyse their performance as I believe they are the future stars. To give you examples comments were made after QLD premier final that Korczyk played poorly which was plainly untrue ( plese see Reg comment on this forum, he made this clear in his response).
Korczyk may not have been so visible during his last game as try scorers but he went through a lot of work. Won penalty close to opposition line, forced lost ball in lineout to mention few.
Lastly. I guess you last point is very valid. I will happily stop commenting on this forum again as long as you think twice about making such negative and baseless remarks about any players in the future. Writing that such and such inclusion is plain wrong as you did is very disappointing and does not give your rugby acumen any credit. Greeting.

My issue is, that at times people can misdirect their frustration of a players selection at the player rather then the person who selected him. I had a family friend in the Reds a few years ago, young promising player who eventually signed overseas. But he was selected for the Reds match day squad before he was ready, he knew this, but he was a young bloke(20yrs old a the time) and was never going to say no, all he ever wanted to do was pull the Reds jersey on. Anyway, had a few average games and a poor one or two, and people on this forum were lashing him over it.

It was hard to watch, a young guy giving it his all, playing above his level and getting criticised for it. There's a massive tendency in Australian rugby to hype young players up and then cut them down when they don't deliver immediate results. You look at some of the past legends of the game, they didn't play for their state until they were 24/25, these days there's massive expectations on guys as young as 19 to fill massive roles. Fans and coaches need to maintain perspective and have realistic expectations.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

What a load of crock.

I'm sorry (well, not at all to be honest) if my opinion disagrees with yours or you are overly sensitive to young players selected so far ahead of their time. You aren't the first, you aren't the last. But not calling a spade a spade is just a load of crap.

I'll tell you why Korczyk's selection was wrong. His own team mate, Higgenbottham, had a better year, and is currently a far superior player.

RHP at the Force had a better year, and is currently a better player.

Both of those were available for selection but didn't make the squad.

In my opinion that is true for both of those over Hanigan as well, but others may disagree. However, Hanigan also had a better year than Korczyk and is currently a better player.

The list of back row players who are more accomplished than Korczyk in Australia isn't short. Korczyk is another in the lost list of u20s players who looked very promising but have yet to live up to their promise. And yes, Korczyk was a very fine u20s player. However, the kid is still young, and with some more injury free seasons will hopefully develop into a fine player. I hope he does.

All that doesn't change the fact that, right now, Korczyk's selection in the Australian squad is wrong.

I am also of the vein that "future star" doesn't mean a free ride into Wallaby spot, and doesn't exclude them from criticism. Respect as a senior player and caps should be to be earnt. If you want an example, I was disgusted when Giteau's first cap was handed out, and then disgusted again at Houston's one as well. It doesn't matter what sort of player Giteau became, when he got that first cap and inclusion in the Wallaby squad was wrong.

And if you want to know the level of impact in the NRC I want to see from young guys on the supposed fringe of Wallaby selection, even if they are a work rate player like Korczyk, look at Schatz a few years back in the NRC.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

And I'll let your other snarky/petty/uppity/snide/high and mighty comments go through to the keeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.