• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

NRC 2016 SF1: Eagles v Rising

Status
Not open for further replies.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Figg is going to be very very unfortunate if he doesn't get a contract somewhere, for a Super XV side or otherwise.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Highlander also the ref somehow missing Tolu lazily impede the halfback as he goes to pass, before then passing an intercept that resulted in a try kinda let Country back in too.
First Latu, then the clear knock on before the 2nd one.

Fair play though, once they've had the momentum back, they've been better than us. Just shouldn't have had it in the first place! :) :)

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
And that's the game.

Fabulous work from the Eagles, phase after phase.

At least JD has been playing well from a Rebels perspective, and Sefa from a Wallabies one.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Ref missed an obvious knock on in the lead up to the 2nd Country try, but we've missed a fair few opportunities to be honest. Nobody to blame but ourselves. The no-look falcon from Debba su,ms up our arvo

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
No, Eagles have ended up being the better team by far. Very sloppy from us, both on Attack and Defence.

Gives us a 3 and 5 record from this years games.

Hodge, Hanson, Timani, McMahon, Sefa missing big chunks through Wallabies, Fox, Stirzaker, Shipperley, Colby, Meehan and Leota missing good weeks through injury, plus Cummo and Lloyd missing the final with injuries picked up the week before.

From that perspective, the Season hasn't been horrible.

Given the sheer amount of talent available to the squad though, I can't help but feel disappointed.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Good win by the Eagles. Hopefully they can continue the form for one more week.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

What has happened to Debreczeni.. 12 months ago he looked to be a wallaby in waiting, these days he looks like an average NRC level 5/8

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
What has happened to Debreczeni.. 12 months ago he looked to be a wallaby in waiting, these days he looks like an average NRC level 5/8

bar the last 20 or so and the one off the side of the boot early, I thought he'd been one of the few good uns today. For the first 60, he made every tackle, took contact when required, passed and kicked (both in general play and for goal) well.

Still nowhere near Wallaby bolter level, but comfortably above the form he demonstrated in the last 12 months, despite fairly awful service from the 9 and his forwards.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
bar the last 20 or so and the one off the side of the boot early, I thought he'd been one of the few good uns today. For the first 60, he made every tackle, took contact when required, passed and kicked (both in general play and for goal) well.

Still nowhere near Wallaby bolter level, but comfortably above the form he demonstrated in the last 12 months, despite fairly awful service from the 9 and his forwards.
Too much stuff far too behind the gain line from him

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Eagles were well served by Gordon, Deegan and Godwin in the mid field. I think that's where the difference was today. Figg also had a strong game and I think was named MOTM at the game.

I will say again that I'd be keen for Gordon to make the EOYT squad, and I'm sure he would add a lot of dash coming on for the last 20 minutes against the NH test sides. But, inexplicably to me, he wasn't included in the 31 man squad for Bledisloe 3, so I'm guessing he isn't in the mix for the EOYT.

I was also impressed with the last 2 or 3 games by Godwin, and look forward to him suiting up for the Brumbies next year. Looks to be getting back to the form he showed a few years ago that had many of us tipping higher honours.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Eagles were well served by Gordon, Deegan and Godwin in the mid field. I think that's where the difference was today. Figg also had a strong game and I think was named MOTM at the game.

I will say again that I'd be keen for Gordon to make the EOYT squad, and I'm sure he would add a lot of dash coming on for the last 20 minutes against the NH test sides. But, inexplicably to me, he wasn't included in the 31 man squad for Bledisloe 3, so I'm guessing he isn't in the mix for the EOYT.

I was also impressed with the last 2 or 3 games by Godwin, and look forward to him suiting up for the Brumbies next year. Looks to be getting back to the form he showed a few years ago that had many of us tipping higher honours.

I want to see Gordon head-to-head with Lucas next week. I thought his passing from the base was fractionally slow this week. though his brokenfield work was outstanding. But right now I'd say that the Australian order of merit was Genia, daylight, Phipps. Lucas, Gordon. Such a shame that they are all concentrated at the Tahs so someone's progress is going to be delayed. I'd take Gordon and Lucas on the EOYT just for the Barbarians game and the experience of being in the touring party.

Godwin I thought was good in the last quarter, but largely anonymous up till then. He looks to me like all the flair has been coached out of him. It will be next year if it hasn't already. I hope the Rays win today; I want to see Simone/Con Foley up against Godwin/Horwitz. Whoever might win that game, my money is on Simone/Foley to come out on top in the midfield clash.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Sam Figg is puking his guts up

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

What was impressive was that in the post-match interview he laughed it off as "just watering a dry patch on the field".

Seriously though, I thought he was absolutely outstanding. He pushed himself beyond the limit and then just went again. What to do for him? The Reds are full, the Force don't play his kind of game, the Rebels are full of backrowers, the Brumbies have plenty of sixes and Dempsey and Hanigan have got the inside run at the Tahs. Maybe he can train with the Tahs and play seven's for a year till something can open up.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Godwin I thought was good in the last quarter, but largely anonymous up till then. He looks to me like all the flair has been coached out of him. It will be next year if it hasn't already. I hope the Rays win today; I want to see Simone/Con Foley up against Godwin/Horwitz. Whoever might win that game, my money is on Simone/Foley to come out on top in the midfield clash.

I see the distribution aspects of No 12 play coming to the fore with Godwin in recent matches. He also has a pretty good kicking game and was used extensively by the Eagles to get out of the 22m area all game. What is also promising is he seems to be breaking tackles again and making a few line breaks. All good for next year I believe.

I do agree however that Simone/Foley has been the outstanding centre partnership in the NRC and will probably help to get the win for the Rays in the final. While Simone has rightly got the kudos, Foley has been very, very solid at 13 lately. I think he will go well in Super Rugby next year also.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think its goong to be a very long year for the Rebels in 2017

Yeah? We blooded a lot of local youngsters this NRC.

You add in Hanson/Weeks in the front row, the calming influence of Day in the 2nd row, Timani and McMahon in the back row, Meehan/Stizaker at 9, Inman to the centres, and Hodge somewhere (probably most needed at 15 but might play centres for Wallaby reasons) and the team looks good.

3 freshly capped Wallabies (1 starter), 1 blokes who's been in the Wallabies for a while but is finally in the 23, a few hungry guys who are there abouts, and 2 chiseled vets. Oh, and walking highlights reel Mafi.

I think we will finish 3rd in the Aussie conference or better, IDK where that stacks up in the scheme on the league.

swingpass

Peter Sullivan (51)
well my observation of the Rising in the albeit, limited amount of what i saw on TV and streaming, was the Super players who should have dominated didn't, the same errors that we saw in Sup18 this year are still prevalent but under less pressure. the Rebels have a very tough draw, and i don't think the second tier Rebels players (Jeffries and Fox aside) have improved all that much. personally i hope i am wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.