• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

MANLY 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Manly won 1st. Colts 70-3.

A very good win by a very good team. Parra were aggressive and competed with the MMM in the first ten minutes and it took some good defence to keep control. Parra had first chance at points with a penalty but soon after their No.13 who only minutes before had made a strong run was red carded for a dangerous tackle on the Manly 10. From there Manly slowly took control through there forwards. With some very uncommon errors from some terrible passing the Marlins led 21-3 at half-time. As the second half wore on Parra gave the Manly backs too much room and the No. 10 controlled his back line well.

Manly were very good all over the park - strong and mobile forwards who controlled the breakdown and a back line with pace and skill. Parra played most of the game with 14 players but this may have made the score blow out but Manly were not going to lose this game.

Only sad point came with two serious injuries - one to Parra and one to Manly. Came from the one strong run by the Manly winger who ran through the Parramatta winger and appears to have broken the Parra boys collarbone and then was caught in a glorious tackle by the Parra fullback and suffered a serious knee injury.

Best for Manly were the No.10, no.6 and no.9. Best for Parra their no.2, no.12 and no.15.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Line speed and dominating the collision.
A cold wet trip out to Death Valley, visibility down to 10 mtrs crossing the Gladesville Bridge.
A valuable lesson early in the season.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
A huge loss to Manly, Club Rugby, and the Growth of Rugby - Tim Lane has picked up a job in France.
In the space of 12 months two very successful coaches have moved on - Louden & Lane.
Does this happen because of our lack of a 3rd Tier, where are we heading.

Well we have a very able replacement in Phil Blake, Phil coached and established good growth within Manly prior to Tim returning to Manly.
Some very entertaining attacking rugby was played back in 2010 under Phil's coaching, and I recall we had one of the best defensive records in the comp.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
A huge loss to Manly, Club Rugby, and the Growth of Rugby - Tim Lane has picked up a job in France.
In the space of 12 months two very successful coaches have moved on - Louden & Lane.
Does this happen because of our lack of a 3rd Tier, where are we heading.

Well we have a very able replacement in Phil Blake, Phil coached and established good growth within Manly prior to Tim returning to Manly.
Some very entertaining attacking rugby was played back in 2010 under Phil's coaching, and I recall we had one of the best defensive records in the comp.

Unfortunately we only have 6 professional coaching positions in Australia - the Wallabies and the 5 super teams. Good coaches must go overseas if they want to coach professionally - look at Michael Cheika. I know it's only half a season, but I think he's the best coach going around. What he's done at the Waratahs with essentially the same squad as Hickey & Foley has been unbelievable. I don't think any other coach in world rugby could have done it.

I also don't think it's a bad thing that our top coaches spend sometime overseas. The French Top 14 is at least NRL level and goes longer - a great grounding for a professional coach.

We'll miss Tim Lane, but couldn't ask for a better replacement in Phil Blake.

A big game this week against Eastwood, can't wait.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Unfortunately we only have 6 professional coaching positions in Australia - the Wallabies and the 5 super teams. Good coaches must go overseas if they want to coach professionally - look at Michael Cheika. I know it's only half a season, but I think he's the best coach going around. What he's done at the Waratahs with essentially the same squad as Hickey & Foley has been unbelievable. I don't think any other coach in world rugby could have done it.

I also don't think it's a bad thing that our top coaches spend sometime overseas. The French Top 14 is at least NRL level and goes longer - a great grounding for a professional coach.

QH, hmmm quality players and quality coaches go abroad - Scott Johnson is another one that's succeeding offshore, his old man Dick was another quality coach and its good seeing Scott follow in his shoes.

3t is another topic, I wish we had a comp post Shute, and Super.

Tim v Cheika, Back v Forward, a toss up in my eyes I would have liked to see Tim pick up the Tah's job. I'd love to see Link (head) and Tim (assistant) coach the Wobs when Deans moves on.

Under Phil I remember a game at Woolarah in 2010, we didn't kick once, we attacked from our own try line and beat a strong Easts right across the park.

Just hope the team adjusts to the change quickly.

Looking forward to Saturday and I hope it's not a repeat of last years weather.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
QH, hmmm quality players and quality coaches go abroad - Scott Johnson is another one that's succeeding offshore, his old man Dick was another quality coach and its good seeing Scott follow in his shoes.

3t is another topic, I wish we had a comp post Shute, and Super.

Tim v Cheika, Back v Forward, a toss up in my eyes I would have liked to see Tim pick up the Tah's job. I'd love to see Link (head) and Tim (assistant) coach the Wobs when Deans moves on.

Under Phil I remember a game at Woolarah in 2010, we didn't kick once, we attacked from our own try line and beat a strong Easts right across the park.

Just hope the team adjusts to the change quickly.

Looking forward to Saturday and I hope it's not a repeat of last years weather.

Tim Lane is a top class coach. I don't know how either the Rebels or the Force didn't sign him. Better results at higher level than either Foley or Hill. I don't know Hill personally, or much about him, but IMO you must have more on your cv than coaching Sydney Uni. Winning the comp with a team which is a level above every other team isn't a preparation for super rugby coaching.

I wish Tim all the best in France. I'd like to see him in charge of one of our super teams at some point.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Tim Lane is a top class coach. I don't know how either the Rebels or the Force didn't sign him. Better results at higher level than either Foley or Hill. I don't know Hill personally, or much about him, but IMO you must have more on your cv than coaching Sydney Uni. Winning the comp with a team which is a level above every other team isn't a preparation for super rugby coaching.

I wish Tim all the best in France. I'd like to see him in charge of one of our super teams at some point.

Agree, do we get to see Tim's team on fox?
Blake, very very handy replacement to step in.

Our team across the park is strong through the grades, my only thoughts with Sam appearing gone I'd like to see an experienced fly half float back to Manly.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Quick Hands, I think that there are more than 6 professional coaching positions in Australia. There are 6 top level Head Coaching positions for full time career professional coaches.

There are plenty of full time coaches around the various franchises, within ARU HPU and the academies and Rugby 7's, as well as the directors of Rugby at certain schools. Clubland has some full time coaches as well, both in Sydney and BrisVegas. Not all of them may be on the same sort of packages as the Super Rugby Head or assistant coaches, but they are professional coaches none the less.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Quick Hands, I think that there are more than 6 professional coaching positions in Australia. There are 6 top level Head Coaching positions for full time career professional coaches.

There are plenty of full time coaches around the various franchises, within ARU HPU and the academies and Rugby 7's, as well as the directors of Rugby at certain schools. Clubland has some full time coaches as well, both in Sydney and BrisVegas. Not all of them may be on the same sort of packages as the Super Rugby Head or assistant coaches, but they are professional coaches none the less.

HJ possibly true, but fitting a coaching gig to the resume there are limited professional gigs in Australia.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
There isn't much turnover in many of the "professional" coaching positions with a rather haphazard development pathway. To get the necessary ticks in the boxes, our best need to go overseas before they get the recognition at home.

The Galah

Darby Loudon (17)
Agree, do we get to see Tim's team on fox?
Blake, very very handy replacement to step in.

Our team across the park is strong through the grades, my only thoughts with Sam appearing gone I'd like to see an experienced fly half float back to Manly.

Team for this week still to announcedalthough 3's and 4's were - Phil ran the firsts and seconds together tonight. Apparently a very intense focussed session there's no doubt he's here to win. I'd expect to see some changes in line up v Eastwood with 10 a problem for a few more weeks at least - watch for the arrival of a well credentialed english utility back. I'd say BJ (not a natural fly half in my view
) is likely to be there for immediate term particularly as it's hard to make the case on form for putting Woody back to bench or 2's after being one of the few who turned up v Parra. Still it will be interesting to see the "thoughts of Phil" .

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Team for this week still to announcedalthough 3's and 4's were - Phil ran the firsts and seconds together tonight. Apparently a very intense focussed session there's no doubt he's here to win. I'd expect to see some changes in line up v Eastwood with 10 a problem for a few more weeks at least - watch for the arrival of a well credentialed english utility back. I'd say BJ (not a natural fly half in my view
) is likely to be there for immediate term particularly as it's hard to make the case on form for putting Woody back to bench or 2's after being one of the few who turned up v Parra. Still it will be interesting to see the "thoughts of Phil" .
Agree with BJ, and Woody, some interesting options available with 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.
Compared to last year Hoops has been quite but the weather hasn't been the best to play an open game.
Will, creates great angles coming in off the blind wing.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Agree with BJ, and Woody, some interesting options available with 11, 12, 13, 14, 15.
Compared to last year Hoops has been quite but the weather hasn't been the best to play an open game.
Will, creates great angles coming in off the blind wing.
Many of us at Parra are mystified at how Woody can be left out of your starting line-up. The kid can play.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Many of us at Parra are mystified at how Woody can be left out of your starting line-up. The kid can play.
Agreed, he's running again this week, about our only stand out last week. Form and depth will keep the best raising to the top.
A lot was learnt last week, now to carry on and not repeat.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Dave, you have an embarrassment of riches in your outside backs- finding the right mix will be a nice problem for Phil Blake. I just find it difficult to believe that Jake wouldn't be in there somewhere.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Yep, and hopefully that increases their skill and performance.
Back in 2010, under Blake I recall we had the best D, and our for and against was very impressive.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)

Should be a cracker!
The Woodies defence against the Wicks last week was unbelievable.
Double brick walls would have been easier to get through.

the coach

Bob Davidson (42)
There isn't much turnover in many of the "professional" coaching positions with a rather haphazard development pathway. To get the necessary ticks in the boxes, our best need to go overseas before they get the recognition at home.

Robbie Deans had the same problem!
I suspect Jake White will be the next Wallabies coach if he continues to have success with the Brumbies which will make it even more frustrating for the local guys.
BTW, Randwick pushed hard to get Tim Lane this year but he wanted a full time role, or so the rumour mill says.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
Should be a cracker!
The Woodies defence against the Wicks last week was unbelievable.
Double brick walls would have been easier to get through.
Picking the Woodies for this one (sorry Dave). Recent history suggests that teams don't back up too well after playing Parra. I think the Woodies follow us through this season.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Sunny and 25 degrees forecast for Manly on Saturday, significantly different to the weather last year when we played the Woods in a mud bath. Last weekend of the school hols bring the kids down for a great afternoon in the sun.

Phil Blake makes his return to Manly after 2 years away with the Force and the Wallabies. Hislast stint at Manly had as playing disciplined attacking rugby with one of the best for and against records of the comp, this didn't go un-noticed (Force and Wobs).

And we get to welcome Brett Papworth cheering on his Woods.

Energisied for a big game this weekend

Home game vs Eastwood, 3pm Manly Oval Sat 27th April

The mid week announcement that Phil Blake will take over the coaching reigns immediately from Tim Lane may have come over as a bit of a surprise for many. Tim is off to France in a few months for a new coaching gig and the MMMs were fortunate to quickly secure Phil’s return to the club.

“Tim has done a great job for the club over the last few years. It is fantastic seeing the player and team development since I was last here,” said Phil giving genuine praise to Tim. There is no doubt that Tim leaves the club in good shape and there is much appreciation for what he has done.

“It is good to be back in club land. The atmosphere was great at my first training session and there is a good feeling around the place,” Phil mentioned. “It is important that the club works as a group. That is the strength of the club; seeing players enjoying their sport and team work with an opportunity to develop.”

Phil was on the Wallabies coaching team until the end of the 2011 RWC and completed a stint at the Force last year, moving back to Sydney in November 2012. His elite experience will bring new ideas.

“We have 90% of the season and left. I am not about to make any dramatic changes and look forward to working with and learning from the players. I expect there will be some subtle adjustments as the season progresses,” explained Phil.

“Last week was a blip on the radar in a long season,” said Phil about the 41-17 loss to Parramatta last weekend. “The guys aren’t running around with their bottom lips on the ground. This weekend is a big game and everyone is energised for a good result.”

Team sheet

Sadly 5/8th Sam Lane had a season ending injury to his knee against the Two Blues after showing glimpses of his exciting skills. Prop Eddie Ahololei and hooker Pat Leofa are unavailable due to Rebels duties. Jacob Woodhouse returns at fullback – the back three are looking fast, fit and hungry for tries!

1 Dave Porecki, 2 Andrew Collins, 3 Tim Fairbrother, 4 Ed Gower (c), 5 Daniel Alley, 6 Harry Bergelin, 7 Kotoni Ale, 8 Dylan Sigg, 9 Adam Crerar, 10 BJ Hartmann, 11 Richard Hooper, 12 Peter Gilmore, 13 Brian Sefanaia, 14 Will Helu, 15 Jacob Woodhouse

Lock Caydern Neville has signed a new two year deal with the Rebels. He has had some great S15 games recently and it would be good seeing him get back into the Wallabies squad. It would also be good to see him back at the Village green sometime this season!

Status
Not open for further replies.