• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Japan Beats Wales

Status
Not open for further replies.

LoneStar

Stan Wickham (3)
I forgot Craig Wing had gone to Japan.

Last year Japan really pulled back on the foreigners, but this year they've gone back up.

I think Eddie Jones planned on limiting them but he might be getting onto what Kirwan said, that it's hard to compete without foreigners.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Not an intelligent comment really Shiggins, not an awful lot of Wallabies look or sound Australian if you think everyone has to be the same!!
And what does an Australian look like?

Many Tier 1 Nations have recruited foreign born players who may or may not "look" like the stereotypical citizen of that country. So what?

Many players have crossed International borders without being invited to do so by the "receiving" nations Rugby Union. Are you suggesting that Test Footy should be limited to players only being able to represent their place of birth?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
So so far we have incredibly handsome and riding a Kangaroo. Now I know what to look for!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Almost always found BBQing shrimps (whatever they are - my best guess would be scrum halves?).

D

daz

So so far we have incredibly handsome and riding a Kangaroo. Now I know what to look for!

No, the incredibly handsome one is me. The rest of you are a fair bit behind in the looks department.

We seem to have nicely defused a potential racial wrong-turn on this thread. Well done us!

:p

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Not an intelligent comment really Shiggins, not an awful lot of Wallabies look or sound Australian if you think everyone has to be the same!!

I don't see anything particularly wrong with Shiggins' comment. Japanese is an ethnic group as far as I'm concerned. They have a distinctive appearance that comes from being isolated from the rest of the world for thousands of years. 'Australian' is not an ethnicity. I'm not saying you have to be of Japanese ethnicity to be a Japanese citizen, but Shiggins' comment was tongue in cheek and fair play imo.

But I digress. Congrats Japan!

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
The Japanese do have other ethnicities over there. The "Brazilian Japanese" is a pretty significant ethnic group among some other ethnic groups. I don't think Shiggins was being offensive though. I admit when I think of a Japanese national team I'm assuming I'm going to see a primarily Asian looking team. But the reality is the make up of the Japanese team is no different to the make up of the Wallabies given how many players of Islander origin we have had now & previously (not to mention Pocock being Zimbabwean).

Bardon, nice write up. Japanese culture had a big influence on me as a kid - Japan is a place I'd like to go to some day. Will have to go to the 2019 World Cup but my understanding of the Japanese language will need to improve from my fail effort in high school.

D

daz

I don't see anything particularly wrong with Shiggins' comment. I'm not saying you have to be of Japanese ethnicity to be a Japanese citizen, but Shiggins' comment was tongue in cheek and fair play imo.

I think the point is that discussion about ethnicity/race is fraught with peril.

Posts can easily be misunderstood and even the best intentioned comment can cause offense. Best we just steer clear.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the point is that discussion about ethnicity/race is fraught with peril.

Posts can easily be misunderstood and even the best intentioned comment can cause offense. Best we just steer clear.

Agreed. Let's all relax and listen to the soothing sounds of Swedish folk singer, Jose Gonzalez.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Agreed. Let's all relax and listen to the soothing sounds of Swedish folk singer, Jose Gonzalez.

I hadn't heard that song for a while so I hit play and clicked on a link to watch this video from the GaGR Facebook page.

Both videos were playing in different browser tabs and it was a bit weird watching that video with Heartbeats as the soundtrack!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Japan beats Wales....I guess Greenpeace will be bringing out the Sea Shepherd again....
GOLD

When Lady Di Princess of Wales had her fatal car crash a while back, a mates kids were talking about the the crash. They were 6 yo and 4 yo IIRC.

Says the elder: "The Princess of Wales is dead"
Replies the younger after a considered pause to process the information: "Is she the Princess of Dolphins too?"

The elder not wanting to have her current affairs and general knowledge being found wanting by this question returned service to take the match with: "I think that she was the Princess of all Sea Animals. That is why everyone is sad and talking about it"

To add a further bit of context, I'm pretty sure that one of the Ariel mermaid movies had just come out, or that they were going through that mermaid phase that many little kids go through.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
The Japanese do have other ethnicities over there. The "Brazilian Japanese" is a pretty significant ethnic group among some other ethnic groups. I don't think Shiggins was being offensive though. I admit when I think of a Japanese national team I'm assuming I'm going to see a primarily Asian looking team. But the reality is the make up of the Japanese team is no different to the make up of the Wallabies given how many players of Islander origin we have had now & previously (not to mention Pocock being Zimbabwean).

Bardon, nice write up. Japanese culture had a big influence on me as a kid - Japan is a place I'd like to go to some day. Will have to go to the 2019 World Cup but my understanding of the Japanese language will need to improve from my fail effort in high school.

Japan is tits. Don't be concerned about the language barrier either. A large percentage of the population have a rudimentary grasp of the English language (like most Asian countries).

Status
Not open for further replies.