• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

James Horwill cited for stamping

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
ABC radio news @ midnight: JH free to play on Saturday, but decision from Mew still a few hours away!! Presumably, that refers to any penalty (fine, and/or ban)?! Or maybe ABC just got it wrong (again)!

I'm glad I added this rider last night! Young lady reading the news either misread it or was handed copy with incorrect info.
Given that it's Canada Day holiday, Graeme Mews is probably enjoying the celebrations, prior to giving his verdict in 3 hours time!

Ignoto

Greg Davis (50)
Here's something on the Adam Thompson case that may shed some light on the IRB's stance here.

This IRB Disciplinary regulation is intended to protect all players and the Game through the strict application of a sanctioning regime that acts as a strong deterrent against acts of foul play.

So, I'm curious, was the tackle that Tana etc did to break Brian's collarbone protecting the players interest, or the image the IRB want the game to be?

If they IRB were truly concerned about their image, it's an odd time for them to be ensuring it's squeaky clean. Especially when they missed the fact Ben Lucas had to have an ear re-attached.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
So, I'm curious, was the tackle that Tana etc did to break Brian's collarbone protecting the players interest, or the image the IRB want the game to be?

Comparing the reaction of the IRB to two incidents that occured 8 years apart is completely relevant.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
If it wasn't before, we're in denial of natural justice territory.

Are there legal grounds for the team/ARU to refuse to play?[/quote

Funny you should say that Boomer, because that thought crossed my mind yesterday!
Reminds me of our son's first ever rugby match (u15s Somerset College against TSS). SC half back scored a converted try from the kick-off. Young Mr Doug (#5) scored another converted try from the next kick-off (after side-stepping opposing 13, 14, and 15). TSS coach took the team off the field, lectured them about commitment, and said he would take them off permanently if they didn't lift their game! Isn't Rugby a great game full of great memories?

TheHam

Allen Oxlade (6)
Does a sporting tribunal have to act like a court of law?

I'd have thought that it did not. It's not created by statute and it's not governed by legal precedent or by the same rules of evidence and so on. The lawyer-ification of such processes (ie Horwill having a QC (Quade Cooper) present) seems to be an offshoot of the stakes involved rather than something native to the institution. Appointing a QC (Quade Cooper) to arbitrate is more about professionalism and independence than anything else. All of which is to say that appealing to ideas like double jeopardy might be nice in theory but not applicable in reality.

Trying to have it both ways. Putting a QC (Quade Cooper) in to arbitrate and somehow not expecting it to act like a court of law?

There's nothing special about a sports tribunal. It's all subject to the law. Lawyers will get involved on all sides when the stakes are high and you can't stop that. It's pointless to pretend otherwise.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Comparing the reaction of the IRB to two incidents that occured 8 years apart is completely relevant.

Also, this policy where the IRB can review judiciary decisions has only been in place since June last year to my knowledge.

Whilst both this and the Thomson issue were unprecendented at the time, they could easily become far more normal in hindsight once this process has been in place for longer. We will have to wait and see on that.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
My heart says he will get off once they look at the "nine different angles" - crap i hope there are another 8 angles otherwise my head says he is gone :confused: it just worries me that no one outside of the commission has seen the other tv angles.....

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Trying to have it both ways. Putting a QC (Quade Cooper) in to arbitrate and somehow not expecting it to act like a court of law?

There's nothing special about a sports tribunal. It's all subject to the law. Lawyers will get involved on all sides when the stakes are high and you can't stop that. It's pointless to pretend otherwise.

I don't think you've understood my post. Obviously the tribunal is "subject to the law".

It was a question about the tribunal itself and whether it actually has the institutional rules and apparatus of a court. I suspect that it does not. Probably one of the reasons it becomes a lottery. Another is that things are likely to get messy fast if players are lawyered up and there is extensive argumentation in a system without robust structures.

gold heart

Ted Fahey (11)
decision now delayed to this afternoon..... i am praying these delays are caused by the evidence that we have not seen .... and the IRB are saying to themselves ffs we are a bunch of muppets ;)

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The law of common sense would suggest that this is a terrible idea regardless of what happens.

I think if the ARU made the threat the ban would be suspended. And I expect if the ARU took on the IRB, the Kiwis and Saffas might very well back us up. A huge gamble no doubt, but you can't let the status quo stand or else there will forever be a question mark over the validity of future results.

I'd assume if Kev does cop a ban today, the best course of action would probably be an emergency appeal to some higher court.

The ARU shouldn't have a hard time finding lawyers at the last minute. All they would need is a few box tickets for the 3rd test.

tragic

John Solomon (38)
Not sure of the source....

Attachments

• horwill1.png
    horwill1.png
    66.3 KB · Views: 336
  • horwill2.png
    horwill2.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 335

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Does a sporting tribunal have to act like a court of law?

I'd have thought that it did not. It's not created by statute and it's not governed by legal precedent or by the same rules of evidence and so on. The lawyer-ification of such processes (ie Horwill having a QC (Quade Cooper) present) seems to be an offshoot of the stakes involved rather than something native to the institution. Appointing a QC (Quade Cooper) to arbitrate is more about professionalism and independence than anything else. All of which is to say that appealing to ideas like double jeopardy might be nice in theory but not applicable in reality.
Technically not necessarily.
Practically if you can affect a person in a serious way you have to give them notice of the charge and a chance to be heard.
Its just a short march from there to a full blown court hearing.
The beauty of a court hearing is that everyone knows where they stand and what the rules are - the less significant the range of potential outcomes the less important that knowledge may be.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Not sure of the source..
FOXRUGBY tweeting that there is still no decision
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p>Still no <a href="https://twitter.com/search?q=#JustuceForHorwill&amp;src=hash">#JustuceForHorwill</a>. IRB yet to make a decision. If this saga was a book, it would be ____________</p>&mdash; FOX SPORTS Rugby (@FOXRUGBY) <a href="https://twitter.com/FOXRUGBY/statuses/351863613444734978">July 2, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
I think if the ARU made the threat the ban would be suspended. And I expect if the ARU took on the IRB, the Kiwis and Saffas might very well back us up. A huge gamble no doubt, but you can't let the status quo stand or else there will forever be a question mark over the validity of future results.

I'd assume if Kev does cop a ban today, the best course of action would probably be an emergency appeal to some higher court.

The ARU shouldn't have a hard time finding lawyers at the last minute. All they would need is a few box tickets for the 3rd test.

I don't think you would get the support you think you will. The ARU would look foolish, exactly the same way that the SARU looked like fools when they did their Justice4 armbands campaign.

Refusing to play a game unless you get the decision you want would be seen by everyone concerned as petulance. Appealing the decision is always possible, though it would have to be within the ambit of the IRB regulations. Unless you can show that the appeal hearing was in some way contrary to the IRB regulations (possible perhaps) then no court will take any notice of it.

TheHam

Allen Oxlade (6)
I don't think you've understood my post. Obviously the tribunal is "subject to the law".

It was a question about the tribunal itself and whether it actually has the institutional rules and apparatus of a court. I suspect that it does not. Probably one of the reasons it becomes a lottery.Another is that things are likely to get messy fast if players are lawyered up and there is extensive argumentation in a system without robust structures.
Which court are you comparing? Magistrates' Court? Family Court? Kangaroo? Of course an IRB tribunal doesn't have those institutional rules. It has its own.

Lawyers are in there because the parties want them.

You won't get far trying to deny this option as it will just be taken to another arena. They may as well be in on the ground floor.

Status
Not open for further replies.