• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Jake White Quits Brumbies

Status
Not open for further replies.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I'm inclined to think that if a guy is willing to chase the Wallabies job, you can consider him Australian enough to take it. Doesn't matter if they're born elsewhere.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
The desire to achieve your best and win.

I think there is far more to being an international rugby coach than national pride.

Do you think a foreign coach spends hours planning training sessions and running moves/drills and then gets to game day and doesn't give a fuck if the players perform poorly because after all, they're not from that country?

I think it is crazy to suggest that someone spending every single day working towards something (in a field they are passionate about) doesn't become heavily invested in what they are doing regardless of their nationality.

To turn the argument around, do you think Graham Henry was a good All Blacks coach just because he was from New Zealand and he was coaching New Zealand?

I think he was a great All Blacks coach because he was a great coach representing his country with supreme motivation.

If Jake White was serious about coaching Australia he would have finished his contract with the brumbies, and then taken over from link, either after this world cup or the next one.

I'm not mad at White, wish him all the best back in Africa. As Fagan said - "his heart wasn't in it".

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Lets assume he's leaving because he's homesick.

Do you really want the national coach to be a bloke (regardless of where he was born) who doesn't see the country he is representing as his home?

What motivates him if not pride in country? Do you think graham henry did it
for the paycheck?

Parochial nonsense.

What does Jose Mourinho do it for? Because he is passionate about being better than everyone else and making his team and it's individuals better than everyone else. The end.

What motivated the Aussie skipper of an American boat and team come back from the dead? His Aussie pride or his natural competitiveness and his ability to manage his team so the reach their potential, no matter what banner they sail under?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Of course Graham Henry did what he did for the paycheck.

Who, in their right mind, would take on the jobs that he has, in this professional era, if the money was not adequate ?

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Of course Graham Henry did what he did for the paycheck.

Who, in their right mind, would take on the jobs that he has, in this professional era, if the money was not adequate ?

Whatever money the NZRU where offering I'm sure clairmont could have paid more.

Imagine what McCaw could earn in France? Money matters but it's all relative.

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
Doing what you love for the right employers while being paid well >>> doing what you're okay with for an alright employer while being paid insanely large sums of money.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
It's not a part-time job.

It also doesn't require the coach to be in the country for as much of the year as being a Super Rugby coach does. There isn't a lengthy preseason, etc. Most of the work he would be doing in the off season can be done remotely, although you would think he'd want to be in Oz for the purpose of touching base with players in person, etc.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
Talk about a terrible post....

Oh, I see. It’s OK for you to hang shit on everything from Queensland at every opportunity – but not OK for me to have a strong dislike for that shithole down there.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

And it is not trolling to speculate that perhaps there are many reasons other than just not getting the wallaby job that factor in his decision making. It could well be one of many factors that he has based his decision on- who the hell knows? I have quite clearly not stated it as the sole reason - only the usual keyboard warriors seem to have taken it that way.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Parochial nonsense.

What does Jose Mourinho do it for? Because he is passionate about being better than everyone else and making his team and it's individuals better than everyone else. The end.

What motivated the Aussie skipper of an American boat and team come back from the dead? His Aussie pride or his natural competitiveness and his ability to manage his team so the reach their potential, no matter what banner they sail under?

Parochial nonsense is the whole reason we play. This is test rugby we're talking about.

You don't have to be born here to wear the jersey, but you do have to commit to it.

Jake White hasn't committed to it.

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
For NZ or Argentina?

Edit - what motivates any top sportsman or sporting coach in any code? I think you'll find more often than not it is success at the highest level and not money.

And before those he was head coach of Wales.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Oh, I see. It’s OK for you to hang shit on everything from Queensland at every opportunity – but not OK for me to have a strong dislike for that shithole down there.

Hypocrisy at its finest.

And it is not trolling to speculate that perhaps there are many reasons other than just not getting the wallaby job that factor in his decision making. It could well be one of many factors that he has based his decision on- who the hell knows? I have quite clearly not stated it as the sole reason - only the usual keyboard warriors seem to have taken it that way.

I find it quite amusing that Canberra's biggest supporter lives in Melbourne.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Deans was given all he was entitled to or could have expected had his contract run its full course: ie $$$$.
White has failed to deliver 2 years of coaching.
And I doubt White has been paid for the 2 years coaching either.
Just noticing the difference of attitudes!! Look I don't like people being able to walk on contracts either, but until I know why I won't get too carried away, as noone minds Players or Coaches getting booted if it suits their needs.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
It also doesn't require the coach to be in the country for as much of the year as being a Super Rugby coach does. There isn't a lengthy preseason, etc. Most of the work he would be doing in the off season can be done remotely, although you would think he'd want to be in Oz for the purpose of touching base with players in person, etc.

There are many more aspects to coaching the Wallabies than running training sessions and watching Super Rugby games. Link alluded to this on the podcast. While telecommuting could be fine for some things, I reckon it'd be pretty poor to make $1 million a year from the ARU and spend a few months a year in RSA.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Whilst it is full of Pollies and Public Servants (the servant word is used loosely) it is OUR national capital AND it does have a very good Super 15 team historically and at the present time.

Leave the place alone !!!!!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There are many more aspects to coaching the Wallabies than running training sessions and watching Super Rugby games. Link alluded to this on the podcast. While telecommuting could be fine for some things, I reckon it'd be pretty poor to make $1 million a year from the ARU and spend a few months a year in RSA.

Surely there should be other aspects to the role outside of specifically planning for and coaching the Wallabies.

If the actual coaching of the Wallabies isn't a 12 months a year job then as the top coach in the country, there could definitely be other work carried out mentoring other coaches and sharing his broader experience with the ARU etc.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Hypocrisy at its finest.

Oh dear, time to lay off the Bundy.......... o_O

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
I can't believe the ARU would consider the best candidates either... what were they thinking?!

Slim 293

I would rather have the Logan Under 10 coach as long as he is Australian. Surely we have enough talent in this country to provide pathways for coaches as well.

There are heaps of talented coaches all over the world but IMO the national coach should be a national.

Shit, can you even imagine the Kiwis appointing a non-kiwi - there would be a fucking riot and even more would flee to Australia - ha ha

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Slim 293

I would rather have the Logan Under 10 coach as long as he is Australian. Surely we have enough talent in this country to provide pathways for coaches as well.

There are heaps of talented coaches all over the world but IMO the national coach should be a national.

Shit, can you even imagine the Kiwis appointing a non-kiwi - there would be a fucking riot and even more would flee to Australia - ha ha

I would imagine that if the Kiwis didn't produce so much rugby talent in the way of players and coaches, then they might be open to the idea of a foreigner coaching the All Blacks.........

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
And I doubt White has been paid for the 2 years coaching either.
Just noticing the difference of attitudes!! Look I don't like people being able to walk on contracts either, but until I know why I won't get too carried away, as noone minds Players or Coaches getting booted if it suits their needs.
I must be missing something - he wont be paid for the 2 years because he's not providing the agreed to service.
Deans was paid out (I assume) because he was ready willing and able to provide the service he agreed to provide. Booting a player or coach means the person would suffer damage if they weren't paid out. In this case the Brums may suffer damage because they lose a bloody good coach.
I think they're quite different situations.

It would be a brave club that tried to hold him to his agreement (assuming they could because the courts will not order specific performance to enforce a contract for personal service) if he had lost the motivation - that would be counter productive.

I'm not actually having a go at him for walking - that's his business, personal reasons or otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.