• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

It's the coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Train Without a Station

I totally agree with the comment about the rockstar attitude. Let's face it the AB's is basically the Crusaders, add in Weepu, Nonu, Smith, Suivatu, Mils & Mealamu. On the other hand, the Wallabies additions to the Reds team would be a lot stronger. The problem is Deans picks close to the best 15 players, not the best team ala Link. There's a reason Henry is favoring Nonu over SBW, because Nonu fits into the successful team better.

The biggest key to the Reds Super Rugby success was that for every Quade, Genia and Digby, there was a Ben Daley, Beau Robinson and Anthony Fainga'a doing all the unnoticed grunt work. There is a real lack of balance in the Wallabies team. Even in the forwards, Deans has gone for generally the noticable players, not necessarily the best at playing THEIR OWN position.

R

Red Rooster

The more I hear about who does what in the wallaby camp, that is, what Coach is in charge of what portfolio, the more certain I become that this isn't a Deans issue.

For me, I want to know exactly how and why Williams has and constantly escapes any form of criticism and pressure on his job? Listening to James Horwill on the podcast last week, Williams is in charge of Lineouts and Restarts and acts as a general forwards coach. So, looking at the weekend, our line outs were average, our restarts both receiving and defending were horrible and our forwards did sweet shit all.

More importantly, Horwill alluded that Deans hardly has any contact with the forwards and concentrates his time with the backs (who have outperformed the Forwards in almost every game in the past two seasons).

So, other than trusting his supporting coaches on who to pick, I would dare say Deans has nothing to do with the forwards and that we need to start holding our Forwards coaches accountable.

PS I'm sick to death of people crying for Ewen, Dwyer or Jones....... Your argument looses all credibility with these types of statements because its just plain stupid, there isn't enough time for them to know/put in place anything that would change in time for the world cup.

Bring in some forward advisors is whats a better approach in my books.

Who appoints the staff at the wallabies? Deans does and if he doesn't then he is a silly billy - He has not got rid of Williams like he did Foley, who was doiung a good job so why wouldn't we blame the Head Coach - He getsthe credit when they go well so it works both ways

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
Deans is not the sentimental sort; he'll clearly discard players if they aren't doing what he wants. He sat Mehrtens down for an extended period, cut Cullen, didn't play Umaga who screamed he was fit, and has cut Smith/Gits/Sharpe/etc. I imagine he'd have no problem doing the same to staff whom he feels aren't performing. There were rumors that the NZRFU imposed Hammett as a head-coach on the Hurricanes to thwart Deans hiring him as Wallabies' forward coach.

This is the Robbie Deans show. What frustrates everyone is the potential evident in this Wallaby team, and how they tease us with some great performances only to fail when the heat is on. This also contrasts with how Link managed to bring a dreadful Reds team to quickly fire week in and week out with essentially the same personel at home and on the road, overhauling their defense, providing greater flexibility on attack and have everyone playing on the same page. They seemed to rise when confronted with pressure, and not wilt in the face of heat like the Wallabies. I'm getting a little tired myself about hearing of learning experiences, processes, re-building and development. I'm hopeful the Wallabies are not that far away but it really has taken too long, and games like last week which prompt Deans to effectively say that the Wallabies had failed to adjust to what what NZ had given them, going wide when they should have been running into gaps inside are exasperating.

G

Grevious

Couldnt agree more with barrenjoey

As an Aussie living in NZ (Canterbury region where Deans hales from) Im convinced that he is taking the Wallabies on a downward spiral.Does anyone really think that the coach of such a successful NZ super rugby franchise a Kiwi through and through wants Australia to win the RWC.
Wake up this is a setup. I'm convinced after Saturday nights game and of course that epic Samoan match Deans has coached the aggression and passion out of the Wallabies
The Wallabies were the ABs biggest threat but now that threat has all but gone thanks to such a "great" coach
Rugby over here is a religion and if anyone thinks that the NZRFU would let one of their most talented coaches go to coach the opposition to win the most important game in rugby is dreaming.
Lets just see where Mr Deans goes after the RWC.I think it will be to NZRFU headquarters to celebrate a job well done,the perfect crime.Oh and also the new position as head coach of the ABs
WATCH THIS SPACE

Riptide

Dave Cowper (27)
As an Aussie living in NZ (Canterbury region where Deans hales from) Im convinced ...
Lets just see where Mr Deans goes after the RWC.I think it will be to NZRFU headquarters to celebrate a job well done,the perfect crime.Oh and also the new position as head coach of the ABs
WATCH THIS SPACE

Pretty sure that I do not want to hear your thoughts on the "grassy knoll" or Roswell

A

antipodean

As an Aussie living in NZ [...]
Wake up this is a setup. [...]
WATCH THIS SPACE
tin-foil-cat.jpg

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
So, we know there are gameplans, and talking to Kev in our last podcast, he even hinted that they were more indepth than the ones for the Reds (not that that's necessarily a positive).

As RH said on another thread we saw hints of it - the pick 'n go in twos worked well as did the switch back infield to exploit their line stretch. I think I saw others - like the contestable kicks, but all of those I mentioned and any others we half saw were really poorly executed, or just given up on within minutes.

But FFS why? It's groundhog day - four years of a team that every second game (and almost every game against the All Blacks) "forgets" a massive chunk of what it needs to do, or just drops its bundle under any pressure.

It can't be all the players, we've seen plenty of them deliver on gameplans this last S15 - even when they were totally fucked up like the Brumbies'.

My uninformed musings are starting to form like this -

1) Dingo's a backs coach - that's where the focus is. Jim is an assistant coach at best, and without a forward centric 'big picture man' setting the direction, this is what we get

2) There may well be too much going on up top. I actually wonder if it's all simple enough to get right and impose. Is the burgeoning number of coaches going to exacerbate this?

3) The coaching / player vibe is off. Between the players looks good to me, but does it work upwards and downwards? I have no evidence for this other than since day 1 I've never understood what the fuck Dingo has been trying to say and I work with corporate bullshit bingo on a regular basis - what must it be like for professional athletes?

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Good post.

To follow on... Whose responsibility is it for maintaining the game plan? Those players need to step up.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
But that's my point - these players can maintain a gameplan - even switch them between games.

If they're not doing it now - why? (other than the increased pressure of international footy)

Richo

John Thornett (49)
I guess my question is more around specific leadership responsibilities. I know these players can execute a game plan... But surely they can't be solely absolved of all responsibility.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
But that's my point - these players can maintain a gameplan - even switch them between games.

If they're not doing it now - why? (other than the increased pressure of international footy)

The captain is the link between the coach and the players. I am not convinced our captain is showing enough leadership at the moment. Somebody needed to get those blokes in a huddle and take control whether it be to get back onto the gameplan or deviate if it is failing. Consult the leadership group (they were all out there) if need be before approaching the team has a whole.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)

The increased pressure of Test Footy should not be dismissed lightly.
Also a winning tactic in super 15 does not necessarily work in Test matches.
eg how many winning RWC sides have had a flamboyant 10?
Dingo does not have the cattle at his disposal that Henry does.
Would Henry pick a weak tackling 10?
Would he pick JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing where he consistently comes in when he should stay on his man?
Would he move KB (Kurtley Beale) on the wing in D, where he also comes in instead of staying on his man?
He doesn't need to even consider these sorts of compromises due to the depth he has to pick from.FFS would SBW not walk into our side if he was eligible. how many quality 13's has Henry overlooked?
IMO apart from Carter, 2nd choice in every position in their backline would not weaken the AB side.
You certainly can't say that for us.
Dingo is making compromises out of necessity.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Richo and Ruggo - I fully agree they have to cop it as well, and of course Rocky should be in the mix. As to which proportions, who the fuck knows.

Ruggo - good point, although in a huddle in the middle of a test match is not place to fix what needs to be sorted in the weeks leading up to a match, when the coaches have access to the players 8 hours a day.

Regulars over the past few years know my historical viewpoint - I've liked some of the signs of what Deans has been building, and there were some great indicative results last year at Bloem and Honkers, hinting at some mental progress.

But this year is the time to shit or get off the pot, and in 2 out of the 3 games so far I ain't smelling it

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
The increased pressure of Test Footy should not be dismissed lightly.
Also a winning tactic in super 15 does not necessarily work in Test matches.
eg how many winning RWC sides have had a flamboyant 10?
Dingo does not have the cattle at his disposal that Henry does.
Would Henry pick a weak tackling 10?
Would he pick JOC (James O'Connor) on the wing where he consistently comes in when he should stay on his man?
Would he move KB (Kurtley Beale) on the wing in D, where he also comes in instead of staying on his man?
He doesn't need to even consider these sorts of compromises due to the depth he has to pick from.FFS would SBW not walk into our side if he was eligible. how many quality 13's has Henry overlooked?
IMO apart from Carter, 2nd choice in every position in their backline would not weaken the AB side.
You certainly can't say that for us.
Dingo is making compromises out of necessity.

I can go with all of that you say, but we're now 4 years in. How many years with JOC (James O'Connor), KB (Kurtley Beale) and QC (Quade Cooper)?

While these players, Australia's depth and any other factor we want to name might have a hand in it, being unable to get a team to execute your game plan for more than 5 minutes (or not even that) after 4 years prep surely has to reflect on the coach in some way.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yep it does reflect poorly on him that the playing group can't/won't stick with the plan.It would be stupid to suggest that RD has been perfect in his time at the helm.

I am just not sure that anyone else could do better with what we have got. Different and better in some ways, but overall?

I'm a bit of a fatalist in that I think that with the number of our registered players compared to our major competitors, we are punching above our weight to expect any more than quarters & maybe semi final wins in RWC.
Once in a generation we might have a core number of world best players and win it. But winning it every time around is not a realistic expectation IMO.
If you can have a poison chalice at $1M a year, then RD has one.

R

Red Rooster

What you all seem to forget is that human nature requires messages and ideas be sold. If there is a gameplan then it must be sold to the players. Like it or not they have to believe in it there the best way is to have their input. Quade talked about the flow of information betwen he and Link at the Reds in the SMH on the wekend and how he enjoyed the creative process so its no wonder he goes out and tries to implement it. Link has said in the press a few times this year that the Reds are the most coachable group he has had and if you put the two points together you sense there is some flow and ownership. I have heard Link also say that there is no leadership group at the Reds but there are key players who are involved and consulted informally. If the Wallabies are not doing the game plan then they dont like/believe in it, they are not capable of executing it which would mean its too complex or its the wrong gameplan and it doesn't work - I'll leave you to choose

rotary hoe

Peter Burge (5)
@ riptide - ever been to Dallas?
Trust me it didn't happen from the book depot window.
My first post after long time lurking her and at PR.
Everyone on here ,other websites and myself and other friends who have actually played the game cannot comprehend his selections.I think a coach sometimes gets too close to the players,reads the stats and does not actually sit back and watch the game.I have read so many people on here and in other places say how hard Ben mcalman works.I rewatched the samoa and yappie game,just watching him.Watch how hard he works to avoid contact.It is a joke in the age of video analysis.Must go now riot on my st. London town.

C

Couch Norm

"If the Wallabies are not doing the game plan then they dont like/believe in it, they are not capable of executing it which would mean its too complex or its the wrong gameplan and it doesn't work - I'll leave you to choose"

RR, I agree with your comments. It is about selling your plan, communication and respect both ways is the key.

Do you really think that the players respect the entire coaching staff? If it was any other team other than the Wallabies, would they survive as coaches?

Status
Not open for further replies.