• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

It's the coach

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Geeves

An interesting thing happened that was the 46 game that Deans has been in charge of as coach and there are now 23 games played before and after Elsom has been made captain. The results table data is in the attachment

For greater explanation of the data and sources see here

Attachments

• Deans Wallabies.jpg
    Deans Wallabies.jpg
    32.7 KB · Views: 275

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Complete lack of composure on the field. Forget the flack about Rocky the player but Rucky the captain had no control over his team. Players did not look like the were on the same page. Un charictoristic as it may be, the communication between 9 and 10 looked incohenant.

We need a captain that can bring the players together as one.

G

Geeves

What about when Smith was captain?

I was too lazy to spilt it past before and after Elsom made captain.

If you follow the links to the raw data you can work it out. The simple thing is that the wallabies keep stumbling against the ABs. The main thing that annoys me is that its now a wider selection of countries we loose too and that's not good

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I know this is an nontraditional and perhaps unpopular point of view but it's just sport really. I know we love it but rugby is just sport.

NZ is not going to war with Australia they are playing sport against them. Whilst sport is something to get patriotic and passionate about I'm sure an intelligent man like Robbie can separate his job from his love of his home country.

We weren't trying to blow NZ up, we were playing them in a game.

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
Sharpe would have brought composure at line-out time and some potential steals. He would have put his hand up to run the ball and would have (like always) made some metres up the guts. Most importantly, he would have brought leadership on the field which was sorely lacking with Elsom the mute. In my opinion, he should the Wallabies Captain... The fact he doesnt have an ARU contract is a fucking disgrace.

Samo would have brought some much needed agression, and many, many years of experience.

Having so many talented youngsters is all the more reason to add some experienced heads to the line-up. The fact he has opted for all kids and no men shows how far out of his depth he is still after 4 years...

On a side note, while Moore was exceptional, due to the composition of our squad; TPN's should be preferred when back from injury to add some seriously needed mongrel...

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Deans and Henry have taken polar opposite approaches with selections over the last 4 years. Youth vs experience. I'm an experience man myself and it's half the reason I've got the shits with the whole thing.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Sharpe would have brought composure at line-out time and some potential steals.

Aside from the end there was nothing wrong with the line out and from memory the managed at least one steal.

I agree with everything else Sharpe would have brought.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Deans and Henry have taken polar opposite approaches with selections over the last 4 years. Youth vs experience. I'm an experience man myself and it's half the reason I've got the shits with the whole thing.

Experience is the conservative approach, and is fine when you have the depth the AB's have.From memory the crop we had 4 years ago wasn't exactly stellar,who was dropped from this group that should still be a Wobbly?
How much experience did Genia, Cooper, Beale, Digby,JOC (James O'Connor) etc etc have 4 years ago?
Who should be selected in their place?

Joe Mac

Arch Winning (36)
The fact these guys are essential to our squad means that its the other positions around them we need to bring in experienced heads

A

antipodean

Complete lack of composure on the field. Forget the flack about Rocky the player but Rucky the captain had no control over his team. Players did not look like the were on the same page. Un charictoristic as it may be, the communication between 9 and 10 looked incohenant.

We need a captain that can bring the players together as one.
I'd say that's less to do with captaincy and more a reflection on the players, coaches and the squad generally. Surely they've all played enough rugby to know if you're facing a rush defence you utilise specific tactics (short kicks in behind, second wave long passes) to combat it? That if the opposition aren't committing to the rucks and are instead spreading out in defence stymieing your backline brilliance, you start to pick and drive one off the ruck?

To me it looks more like a lack of composure among certain players who can't/ won't assess the situation and determine the best course of action - they become flustered which leads them to seek low percentage plays when patience and persistence may be all they require?

The youth have played enough rugby by now. That aside, who is going to lose their position to an old head? Certainly not Two Dads to Mortlock. They all appear to be there on form.

The fact these guys are essential to our squad means that its the other positions around them we need to bring in experienced heads
Sure, who?

You could select more dependable players, but they'll not offer anything other than consistency. No dizzying highs, no terrifying lows, just the ability to perform at a lower level, more often.

C

Couch Norm

In relation to the coach's. It was interesting the body language of the coaches when they went to 'coach cam'.

All of them stone faced, no discussion, nothing. As the game went on Nucifora was sliding further and further away from Deans. Lucky there was a wall to stop him from falling out.

It all looked a bit dis-functional.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

Dunno Scarfie, I think the decisions are a bit more situational

If Deans had Carter, Mils & Richie et al he wouldn't be throwing them away.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
In relation to the coach's. It was interesting the body language of the coaches when they went to 'coach cam'.

All of them stone faced, no discussion, nothing. As the game went on Nucifora was sliding further and further away from Deans. Lucky there was a wall to stop him from falling out.

It all looked a bit dis-functional.

Have you ever seen the AB coaches' box when they're losing? Admittedly they don't lose often, but at Hong Kong it was like an out-take from the Curse of the Living Dead.

And the Saffas! You have P-Div looking up over the bench like a moustachioed schoolboy and rolling his eyes, and all the other coaches literally climbing the walls to get away from him (although admittedly that is their default mode).

Only the English are implacable in the face of defeat. Martin Johnson looks like Herman Munster on ketamine, whatever happens on the field.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'd say that's less to do with captaincy and more a reflection on the players, coaches and the squad generally. Surely they've all played enough rugby to know if you're facing a rush defence you utilise specific tactics (short kicks in behind, second wave long passes) to combat it? That if the opposition aren't committing to the rucks and are instead spreading out in defence stymieing your backline brilliance, you start to pick and drive one off the ruck?

To me it looks more like a lack of composure among certain players who can't/ won't assess the situation and determine the best course of action - they become flustered which leads them to seek low percentage plays when patience and persistence may be all they require?

The youth have played enough rugby by now. That aside, who is going to lose their position to an old head? Certainly not Two Dads to Mortlock. They all appear to be there on form.

Sure, who?

You could select more dependable players, but they'll not offer anything other than consistency. No dizzying highs, no terrifying lows, just the ability to perform at a lower level, more often.

Yeah they are all there on form. Vickerman, Elsom, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Ma'afu Cowan.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Dunno Scarfie, I think the decisions are a bit more situational

If Deans had Carter, Mils & Richie et al he wouldn't be throwing them away.

Reaaally??!??

Were you around in 2003 Groucho? I reckon Richie would be a 6 or 8 at the very least. Carter would be playing fullback. Mils wouldn't be in the squad.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Reaaally??!??

Were you around in 2003 Groucho? I reckon Richie would be a 6 or 8 at the very least. Carter would be playing fullback. Mils wouldn't be in the squad.

You got one thing wrong scarfie, Mils would be 13, Smith and probably Nonu would be in the squad.

A

antipodean

All you need to know is Deans selected Leon "captain concussion" MacDonald as centre, Caleb "speeding tortoise" Ralph as a winger and informed (in a manner of speaking) Christian Cullen that he wasn't in the top three full backs in New Zealand.

Status
Not open for further replies.