• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

IRB U/20 Tournament and Oz Squad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
I don't usually join in the criticism of coaches because I know enough about rugby to realise that we, the great unwashed, have little idea about what goes on in a team we are watching, and less so about a scratch team thrown together for a junior tournament.

But I would like to know:

- Why Volavola was persevered with after not performing well against France when he had available Saifoloi, the Oz Schools flyhalf of 2009, and who played decently for the Junior Tahs when he got to start there - and decently even in a cameo in a Tah trial against Fiji at the SFS.

- Why he didn't get V to stand flatter than he did against France - though I fear I know the answer: that's the way he plays.

- Why, even given the above, the Oz backs did not keep running onto the ball as they did at the beginning of the game. Even if the ball was slower later as the forwards tired, matters would not be improved by backs standing still as they got the ball.

- Why the Oz backs, in contrast to the French and Kiwis, did not try many intelligent kicks to thwart the rush defence. They knew we were going to pass. We didn't know if the Kiwis would because they mixed it up.

I had other questions after the France game about the forwards, but in the main they were addressed until the pack tired. Nuci should be appreciated for what he did to redress that.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
I haven't watched the game but why wasn't Matty Lucas given a crack at 10? He does a bloody good job of that role in Brisbane prems.

U

Upright

I don't usually join in the criticism of coaches because I know enough about rugby to realise that we, the great unwashed, have little idea about what goes on in a team we are watching, and less so about a scratch team thrown together for a junior tournament.

But I would like to know:

- Why Volavola was persevered with after not performing well against France when he had available Saifoloi, the Oz Schools flyhalf of 2009, and who played decently for the Junior Tahs when he got to start there - and decently even in a cameo in a Tah trial against Fiji at the SFS.

- Why he didn't get V to stand flatter than he did against France - though I fear I know the answer: that's the way he plays.

- Why, even given the above, the Oz backs did not keep running onto the ball as they did at the beginning of the game. Even if the ball was slower later as the forwards tired, matters would not be improved by backs standing still as they got the ball.

- Why the Oz backs, in contrast to the French and Kiwis, did not try many intelligent kicks to thwart the rush defence. They knew we were going to pass. We didn't know if the Kiwis would because they mixed it up.

I had other questions after the France game about the forwards, but in the main they were addressed until the pack tired. Nuci should be appreciated for what he did to redress that.
Lee without being too harsh on Ben V there were many eyebrows raised when he was included in the initial squad, mainly because of the limitations highlighted in earlier posts.Either Rohan S or Lucas would have been better options for the semi final however with 4 other changes made in the backs to have had a fifth would have been somewhat drastic. I hope out of this tournament also the pretence of playing Apo Latinupulo at 12 is dropped and he is returned to 7 where his aggresive on the ball work rate is of value.

Final question any thoughts on our two wingers in the semi - did not seem to look to get involved a great deal or was that a consequence of what was happening else where?

H

high tower

Find it hard to believe that Lucas is being advocated as a 10, by all reports he struggled @ 9 against france.
His brother is apparently a solid super 15 utility back, it doesn't make younger brother a carbon copy
I think you will find that Kiwi under 20 loose forwards and inside backs apply the pressure on an opposition 10 a little more consistently and at greater speed than guys playing Brisbane prems.

bloodred

Fred Wood (13)
I have seen him play at 10 a couple of times now. He has played for Sunnybank aginst us twice, he missed the most recent game. He actually is quite an accomplished ball player and fearless defender. However I believe he is more suited to 9. I agree, his game against France probably was not one of his best but I can assure you he can play. Are you from Brisbane HT?

H

high tower

Are you from Brisbane HT?
Not from Brisbane, but saw Lucas play in Sydney as a schoolboy for Qld schools and Aust A schools, thought he got well looked after by Qld coaches who were in charge of Aust schools that year, think he went from no 3 qld half at Aust schools carnival to 1 Aust half by end of UK tour.

Often hear of his fearless defence and it seems like another way of saying his really small but is happy to get in front of big guys and get smashed. There are other 9's of his vintage who knock down all and sundry without looking like roadkill.

Like i said if you have had an ordinary game in your preferred position @ 9 it is hardly a reason to get a run @10 against the baby blacks in your next game.

To compete with the Kiwis you need a 9 and 10 who can take on the line and or make the best of ordinary ball that Australian forwards have been delivering at all levels for too long

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Same team I think, except Colby to 8, Postal to 6 and Quirk out injured.

Yep

Second row Greg Peterson is the only new face for the Aussies, who have promoted flanker Ted Postal and wing Jacob Woodhouse from the bench. Matt Lucas is also promoted from the replacements, trading places at scrum half with Eddie Bredenhann.

On the game:

I have no idea what's wrong with our lads. They've dropped the ball over 15 times in the first half.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The coaching of our team is not flash. Very poor tactics and execution.

I really can't believe how bad our side is. The basic skills execution is shocking.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
The first half went alright, there was definitely some tactical success. Get the ball in the France half, keep it in the forwards until they are on the front foot (over the advantage line), hence only giving backs good/forward ball.

Then it all went out the window, they started playing expansive rugby off poor ball, getting caught miles behind the advantage line. The tactical kicking went and the forwards struggled to keep the team going forward.

They have cooled down now though and are playing the game practically in France's 22. Just need to keep this up for the last 20 minutes and they should win.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The forwards don't run onto the ball. Ball security is a low priority. The hooker doesn't know how to hook in a scrum. The 10 does not attack the line and sits too far back. They don't know how to finish tries. It's a complete shambles.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Other countries are so far ahead of us in terms of u20 development. Does not bode well for the future.

So lucky France had been ravaged by injuries. Final score 30-17 but so could've easily lost that. Very disappointing performance. NZ, SA, Eng, France have all been a class above us.

Bruwheresmycar

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
Yea. We might have won the game, but France have so many more potential test players out there.

Looking forward to the final, think NZ might take this in the 2nd half. They are too good to stay with for the full 80.

Status
Not open for further replies.