• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Illawarra Rugby 2012

Status
Not open for further replies.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
I feel guilty about not getting down to the game, wreckless, but I'm committed each week to watch some of Sydney Uni's teams.

I may see you at some of those games in the future! The young bloke played for Sydney Uni at U/17's State Championships on the weekend! I'll update you through this thread!

Cheers, Wreckless

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
WCR - will you be at the big game tomorrow vs. Shamrocks ( aka The Green Slime!!! ) ?
It's "Longhorns Day" so I will be there of course! We should try to catch up - come to the Longhorns marquee and ask for Wreckless!

Same goes for you Bruce! I bet you'd see a bunch of friends and foes alike!!! :)

This is going to sound like I'm dodging my commitments or meeting you but, I have an exam from 9:30-12:30 and after that I will be making the trip up to Camden to see my new niece who arrived in this world 45 mins ago. So no, not this weekend. Again. I'm beginning to think I should just write this season off and start a new next year.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
This is going to sound like I'm dodging my commitments or meeting you but, I have an exam from 9:30-12:30 and after that I will be making the trip up to Camden to see my new niece who arrived in this world 45 mins ago. So no, not this weekend. Again. I'm beginning to think I should just write this season off and start a new next year.

I'll have your share WCR! :)

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Bloody Vikings nancy men. I'll bet the Shammies were ready to play.

Apparently considered transferring to Ocean Park but that ground no good either??? Vikings Oval is becoming like a "sacred turf" - it's like a excerpt from Catch 22 : " The oval is the best field in the district for not playing rugby and was second to none as long as rugby was not played. Of all the grounds in Illawarra to not play on this is the best, and we can look forward to many absorbing occasions of not playing there in the future." LMAO :)

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
Apparently considered transferring to Ocean Park but that ground no good either??? Vikings Oval is becoming like a "sacred turf" - it's like a excerpt from Catch 22 : " The oval is the best field in the district for not playing rugby and was second to none as long as rugby was not played. Of all the grounds in Illawarra to not play on this is the best, and we can look forward to many absorbing occasions of not playing there in the future." LMAO :)

Then it should have been transferred to Nicholson Park. Not a few Vikings went into early retirement rather than play there.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Then it should have been transferred to Nicholson Park. Not a few Vikings went into early retirement rather than play there.

Ahh! "Knuckleson Park" - that brings back memories!!! Actually played my first ever game of rugby there for the Blueys in 1976 in an U/18's knockout! Got me hooked on the game then & there!!! :)

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Hey all,

Congratulations U10 Illawarriors
A big congratulations to the Under 10 Illawarriors at the State Championships. They were the only team to go through the weekend undefeated. Here are their results:
v Eastwood 24-5

v West Harbour 17 12;

v Southern Districts 31 5;
v Randwick 17 5;
v Easts. 22 0

Looks like the Illawarra is going to continue to produce good rugby players into the future.

Wannabe Selector

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hey all,

A big congratulations to the Under 10 Illawarriors at the State Championships. They were the only team to go through the weekend undefeated. Here are their results:
v Eastwood 24-5

v West Harbour 17 12;

v Randwick 17 5;
v Easts. 22 0

Looks like the Illawarra is going to continue to produce good rugby players into the future.

Just hope there ego and attitude dont change when they get to about 15, 16 and think they are bigger than the game.

Was talking to a friend at the state champs and was mentioning some foul attitude behind the post from Illawarra 15s when watching them against Hunter. From what he said it was from a flyhalf of the team and the captain sounded very discouraging towards the team.

We dont get that up here in Sydney comp!!!!!!!!!

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
I know a couple of the Illawarra U15s are very serious about thier rugby and need to learn to contol their mouths, however they are good kids and need to calm down a little (Illawarra vs Hunter is always a passionate game). 15-16 is a difficult age. Rugby is a very good vehicle for teaching boys life skills.
My son was unfairly penalised by the ref yesterday against Vikings and then let the ref know, he was marched 10m. I'm good with that, he has to learn to keep his mouth shut, it's an important skill (after all how can we men make our marrages work without that skill).

I've been associated with the Illawarra U16s since they were 10, and they are all fine young men and have matured well. They weren't at the state champs this year because of the extent of other representative rugby committments.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Hey all,

v Eastwood 24-5

v West Harbour 17 12;

v Randwick 17 5;
v Easts. 22 0

So - did the U/10 Illawarriors win the State Championship? Just want to clarify - must have gone close if they didn't lose a game!

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Just hope there ego and attitude dont change when they get to about 15, 16 and think they are bigger than the game.

Was talking to a friend at the state champs and was mentioning some foul attitude behind the post from Illawarra 15s when watching them against Hunter. From what he said it was from a flyhalf of the team and the captain sounded very discouraging towards the team.

We dont get that up here in Sydney comp!!!!!!!!!

It's a long way from U/10's to the 15/16 bracket and a lot can change in that time! Illawarra won the U/11 State Champs back in 2006 ( I think ) and haven't backed up since - the competition gets tougher as the skill levels improve. But I wish them well and it is a good positive sign for Illawarra & Country rugby in general.

Disappointing to hear comments like the above about the bad attitude displayed - as I said, they go from big fish in the Illawarra pond to minnows in State Champs! It's a difficult age ( as was noted by Hugie ) but one hopes they can get a reality check and improve this aspect of their game!

Hugie

Ted Fahey (11)
Wreckless,

You must be a Vikings supporter because that's what they said.

However the nice Shamrock supporters were immediately concerned for the ref. making polite enquiries about his eyesight and his state of mind. He seemed to think they were OK, but the Shamrocks concern remained.
We can all learn from the Shamrocks supporters and be less concerned for ourselves and our teammates, and show more concern for others, like referees and touch judges.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
Wreckless,

You must be a Vikings supporter because that's what they said.

However the nice Shamrock supporters were immediately concerned for the ref. making polite enquiries about his eyesight and his state of mind. He seemed to think they were OK, but the Shamrocks concern remained.
We can all learn from the Shamrocks supporters and be less concerned for ourselves and our teammates, and show more concern for others, like referees and touch judges.

True Blue Hugie! :).

I know Bruce is going to just love your post! And so it continues.......!

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)
The last year I coached Shamrock Firsts, perhaps 1982, we had a Pommie prop named Tony Crewe, IIRR. One game played at Nicholson Park the ref - I don't recall anything about him except for his pigeon-toed run - had had an absolute shocker. Shamrock crowds are always very hard markers when it comes to referees but this bloke was disgraceful and certainly cost us the game. He endured abuse the whole game and then had to do the walk of shame, trudging off without a friend in the world.

To my surprise Tony Crewe stepped out of the crowd with a big smile on his face and proceeded to vigorously shake the referee's hand while talking to him. Eventually it could be seen that the ref wanted to withdraw his hand but Tony continued to shake it as if he was greeting a long lost friend.

Afterwards I asked Tony what the conversation was about. He told me he went up to the ref and said: "Ref, I just want to say I've been playing rugby for fifteen years; juniors and seniors; in England and Australia; and I just want you to know that is the most disgraceful exhibition of refereeing I have ever seen." Pure class.

wreckless

Bob Loudon (25)
The last year I coached Shamrock Firsts, perhaps 1982, we had a Pommie prop named Tony Crewe, IIRR. One game played at Nicholson Park the ref - I don't recall anything about him except for his pigeon-toed run - had had an absolute shocker. Shamrock crowds are always very hard markers when it comes to referees but this bloke was disgraceful and certainly cost us the game. He endured abuse the whole game and then had to do the walk of shame, trudging off without a friend in the world.

To my surprise Tony Crewe stepped out of the crowd with a big smile on his face and proceeded to vigorously shake the referee's hand while talking to him. Eventually it could be seen that the ref wanted to withdraw his hand but Tony continued to shake it as if he was greeting a long lost friend.

Afterwards I asked Tony what the conversation was about. He told me he went up to the ref and said: "Ref, I just want to say I've been playing rugby for fifteen years; juniors and seniors; in England and Australia; and I just want you to know that is the most disgraceful exhibition of refereeing I have ever seen." Pure class.

Nowdays he'd probably get suspended or fined!

Status
Not open for further replies.