• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

HSBC 7's - Round 9 - Paris

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
13-15 May.

Pool A: Kenya, New Zealand, Portugal, Russia
Pool B: Fiji, Samoa, Scotland, Wales
Pool C: South Africa, Australia, England, Brazil
Pool D: Argentina, France, USA, Canada

A reminder that Pools are drawn according to results at the previous Leg, NOT Series standings going into this Leg. The Top 4 from Singapore are the top seeds for each Pool; the teams that finished 5th-8th are second seeds; 9th-12th third seeds; 13th-16th fourth seeds.

Standings after Singapore:

1. Fiji 147
2. South Africa 139
3. New Zealand 135
4. Australia 115
5. USA 95
6. Argentina 92
7. Kenya 85
8. England 75

Full standings here:

http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/standings

Reactions: TKO

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
So, seems SBW is trying to do some recruiting for the NZ 7s team. Imagine being the opposition and seeing this running full pelt at you!
rock-a-435.jpg
Rock Rugby Tweet.JPG

I would most definitely pay to see that!!

T

TOCC

So, seems SBW is trying to do some recruiting for the NZ 7s team. Imagine being the opposition and seeing this running full pelt at you!
View attachment 7718View attachment 7719

I would most definitely pay to see that!!

Most Seven's players would love to see a 43 year old who does no cardio, speed or ability training run out onto the pitch against them.

It would be entertaining to see nonetheless

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Injuries have seriously thinned Australia's playmaking stocks. If Quade can negotiate it do these last two tournaments give him an opportunity to have a little run and try to settle into the playmaker role better with a view to giving the Olympics a last shake?

Looking forward to seeing Parahi return

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^^^^ it's hard to keep track but last I read was that Toulon were releasing Quade for the last two Legs, pretty sure that was after they released him for the extra Leg(s?) that weren't part of the original four-Leg deal.

Scrubber2050

Mark Ella (57)
Most Seven's players would love to see a 43 year old who does no cardio, speed or ability training run out onto the pitch against them.

Maybe a drug test or three may also be appropriate:)

G

galumay

We would be better looking elsewhere for players to cover injuries. QC (Quade Cooper) has already shown he is not up to the task in 7's any more than he is in 15's.

We will have a battle just getting out of the pool - with SA & Eng battling for the top spots with us in pool C.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Argentina have added Moroni and Cordero to their squad, while Fiji have added a few French based 15's players to theirs - Nakarawa, Nayacalevu, Tuisova and Viriviri. Kunatani (who is now with Toulouse but has played several tournaments this season already) returns as well.

Fiji at full strength are pretty ridiculous. The hope for other teams is that some of these guys are probably not in perfect 7's shape at the moment.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

He'd be pretty good if they shrunk the 7s field to the size of a wrestling ring.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Be afraid. Be very afraid of the Fiji Weegie.

The biggest disappointment from an outside perspective is that Matawalu's injury will prevent him from appearing in the series, and hence the Olympics, due to Ryan's intentions. Supposedly like those 4 boys, he'd had it written in his deal too.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
New Zealand Sevens: Pita Ahki (North Harbour), Kurt Baker (Taranaki), Dylan Collier (Waikato), Scott Curry (Bay of Plenty), DJ Forbes (Counties Manukau), Akira Ioane (Auckland), Rieko Ioane (Auckland), Gillies Kaka (Hawke’s Bay), Liam Messam (Waikato), Tim Mikkelson (Waikato), Sione Molia (Counties Manukau), Lewis Ormond (Taranaki), Augustine Pulu (Counties Manukau), Teddy Stanaway (Bay of Plenty), Regan Ware (Waikato), Sonny Bill Williams (Counties Manukau)

http://www.planetrugby.com/news/nz-sevens-name-squad-for-paris-london/

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Injuries have seriously thinned Australia's playmaking stocks. If Quade can negotiate it do these last two tournaments give him an opportunity to have a little run and try to settle into the playmaker role better with a view to giving the Olympics a last shake?

Looking forward to seeing Parahi return

it's hard to keep track but last I read was that Toulon were releasing Quade for the last two Legs, pretty sure that was after they released him for the extra Leg(s?) that weren't part of the original four-Leg deal.

Now looks like Toulon are back to making things as difficult as possible:

http://www.espn.com.au/rugby/story/...t-quade-cooper-toulon-delays-release-decision

FWIW I don't think Quade is the actual target, I've thought all along it's more a "Fuck You, ARU" kinda situation.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Deal was for three Legs, originally Las Vegas, Paris & London. Vancouver was widely reported as being additional to that but even if it wasn't he's still only been released for two (unless they're counting Sydney).

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
1. Henry Hutchison. Club: Randwick, NSW.
2. Tom Kingston. Club: Sydney University, NSW.
3. Sam Myers. Club: Northern Suburbs.
4. Josh Holmes. Club: Warringah Rats, NSW
5. James Stannard. Club: Souths, QLD.
6. Con Foley. Club: University of Queensland.
7. Cameron Clark. Club: Northern Suburbs.
8. Jesse Parahi. Club: Northern Suburbs, NSW.
9. Ed Jenkins. Club: Sydney University, NSW.
10. Allan Fa'alava'au. Club: Endeavour Hills, VIC.
11. Nick Cummins.
12. Pat McCutcheon. Club: Sydney University.

Pama Fou and Jesse Parahi are both huge inclusions. Hopefully Parahi is in good shape because if he finds form in these two tournaments he will be in our 12 for Rio.
Sam Myers was like a Jesse Parahi-lite last season and is now one of our most important players. If we can have both of those guys in our 12 we really add some physicality and dynamism in our forwards across the entirety of each match.

RebelYell

Arch Winning (36)
Doesn't bode well for the following, left out despite not being injured:
  • Sam Figg
  • Simon Kennewell
  • Boyd Killingworth
  • Connor Mitchell
  • John Porch
  • Stephan van der Walt
  • Frank Winterstein
No huge surprises except perhaps Holmes ahead of van der Walt or Killingworth; maybe the return of Parahi pushes Boyd out.
We're in a great position with the depth on offer now

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
of those I reckon only Boyd and Porch area chance.

Possibly Winterstein, but I only say that because others have seemed to see something in him, which I haven't.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Holmes has only played one tournament and van der Walt has played a bunch. Killingworth has also been selected regularly.

Of the players above that you've listed I really think Killingworth is the only one with a realistic hope of going to Rio.

Status
Not open for further replies.