• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

HSBC 7's: ROUND 5 - LAS VEGAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Disappointing to lose the final but lets keep this in perspective. Before this season I don't think many people would have considered our men's team much of a chance of winning a medal in Rio, let alone the gold. And now we're looking like strong contenders! That's great progress in a short period.

Also happy to see Japan do so well in this tournament, guessing it must be the best a non-core side has ever done. And Russia seem to be improving a lot too - strong wins over Canada and Portugal and very competitive with France and Kenya. It's going to be a dog fight for the final Olympic spot between them, Canada and Samoa!

T

TOCC

Yep, shame to lose the final but that's two grand final appearances in a row, there overall form is definitely trending upwards, which is crucial given its an Olympic year..

I missed the grand final, but their performances in the pool stages were comprehensive wins, feeling more confident that they might grab a medal in Rio now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

Quade has been granted permission by Toulon to play in the Vancouver series next weekend as well which is good news for his development at Seven's, especially since Australia have lost fellow playmaker Tom Lucas with injury.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
Bit of an indication as to how he's going in France too.
Ha-ha, perhaps this is all part of a master plan to exit Toulon permanently.

1. Tank a few times, look uninterested.
2. Get dropped from starting team.
3. Get ARU to negotiate temporary release for Sevens duty.
4. Get ARU to negotiate permanent release for Sevens duty.
5. .............?
6. Re-sign with Reds in 2017 :cool:

G

galumay

No YOU don't want him in Rio.

Personally I hope we win in Rio,so I want him there.

QC (Quade Cooper) was one of our best this week until the final.
Conditions in the final clearly don't suit his wide passing game.

I suspect I am hardly on my Pat Malone in not wanting him anywhere near Rio.

Personally I hope we win in Rio, so of course I dont want him there.

QC (Quade Cooper) was not one of our best this week, he played some minor roles mainly off the bench and all the old traits were there, YC's, crazy options and occassionally something slick & clever.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Fiji, NZ and SAfrica are still a head and shoulders above the rest, the States are always improving, Argies are developing nicely and GB could be anything, especially if they actually pick the best available including top ups rather than any national bias.

Still, I think you're a firm 4th. With Quade at the helm you're more likely to crash out early yes, but it could be the difference between leaving after performing well but no reward, and a Medal of any colour, but potentially one of the good ones.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Has England ever finished last at a Rugby 7's tournament before?

With only 9 fit players in Vegas, I almost felt sorry for them but then I woke up to myself.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I suspect I am hardly on my Pat Malone in not wanting him anywhere near Rio.

Personally I hope we win in Rio, so of course I dont want him there.

QC (Quade Cooper) was not one of our best this week, he played some minor roles mainly off the bench and all the old traits were there, YC's, crazy options and occassionally something slick & clever.

He also wasn't one of our worst.

I don't think anyone who follows the Aussie 7s team closely thinks that Quade is going to be the saviour who completely transforms the team.

The question is whether he can improve our squad of 12 for the Olympics and most of us who watched this tournament seem to think the answer is yes. He was very good for someone playing their first tournament especially for someone in a playmaker sort of role.

G

galumay

He also wasn't one of our worst.

So who was worse? (seriously, I cant think of anyone off hand.)

I don't think anyone who follows the Aussie 7s team closely thinks that Quade is going to be the saviour who completely transforms the team.

Sounds like some sort of strawman argument, no one has suggested he is going to be the saviour. Are you implying i dont follow the Aussie 7's team closely? (or am i paranoid!?)

The question is whether he can improve our squad of 12 for the Olympics and most of us who watched this tournament seem to think the answer is yes. He was very good for someone playing their first tournament especially for someone in a playmaker sort of role.

Thats A question, most of who watched this tournament seem to think the answer is no. (see what I did there?)

Not sure he would be described as "very good", he was typical QC (Quade Cooper), some clever tricks, mistakes under pressure, ill discipline, all the hallmarks of his play across all forms of the game. Is that a risk we want to take? Do we really believe he can somehow transform to another level rather than just bring the same to this game as he has brought to Super Rugby & Test Rugby?

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Bear in mind the narrow confines of Sam Boyd Field in Las Vegas would play a part in constraining Quade's natural flair so lets see how he goes in the wider plains of Vancouver! :)

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
he was typical QC (Quade Cooper), some clever tricks, mistakes under pressure, ill discipline, all the hallmarks of his play across all forms of the game. Is that a risk we want to take? Do we really believe he can somehow transform to another level rather than just bring the same to this game as he has brought to Super Rugby & Test Rugby?

You could describe a lot of the Fijian players in the same way and they seem to do alright. I think Quade's strengths are more of an advantage in 7's than 15's. X Factor is a necessity, teams don't just win playing good structured rugby.

This was his first 7's tournament and despite playing well in just about every match people are writing him off because he made a couple of mistakes. As if no one else made any! It's like he's on trial and all the jurors are his ex-girlfriends.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I think having Quade around has certainly added energy and freshness to the Aussie 7s envirnoment and the performances reflect that.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
My biggest concern with Quade is that he is not a very good tackler. Saw him make a head high for which we were under advantage, miss with another high shot and fail to stop others one on one. The thing that sets a good side apart in 7s imo is the ability of each of the team to make their tackles.

He has a couple more tournaments to show that he is capable in this area of the game. If he can be, then he will be an asset in Rio. If not, then I think he should not go to Rio.

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Another thing to consider is that Quade hasn't gone through a proper conditioning program for 7's. He's got 15's legs and lungs! This isn't going to change in a week, but I think he'll be primed going into the Olympics. This will make a big difference. He was probably pretty gassed by the final yesterday.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
My biggest concern with Quade is that he is not a very good tackler. Saw him make a head high for which we were under advantage, miss with another high shot and fail to stop others one on one. The thing that sets a good side apart in 7s imo is the ability of each of the team to make their tackles.

He has a couple more tournaments to show that he is capable in this area of the game. If he can be, then he will be an asset in Rio. If not, then I think he should not go to Rio.
But when Jelodiv falls off a guy he should have grounded easily,everyone blames Quade for conceding the try for turning over the ball?

If we are evaluating each player in the squad with equal scrutiny,then Quade ranks above the majority of the squad last week.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Hard to blame Jeladev when two other players inside him tried to take out the first receiver in the in-goal area leaving Jeladev to cover two, one of whom was sitting pretty much on the sideline, so Jeladev was actually covering half the width of the field.

I also don't particularly blame the two who were sucked in to the first receiver because had they got him it would have been a 5m scrum to the Aussies. Just a set of circumstances which was put in train by Quade losing the ball in a very soft tackle right on the tryline.

Piglet

Herbert Moran (7)
I think that QC (Quade Cooper) could be a very good 7s player once he is fully conditioned for the short form of the game.

The risk with QC (Quade Cooper) is that under pressure, as seen with many of his 15s games, he chooses the wrong options. In 15s that doesn't always translate to points against his team. In 7s, it's usually 5 points, maybe 7.

It was QC (Quade Cooper)'s first tournament and the first look at him for the other teams. I expect that they will do their home work re his decision making under pressure and look to create opportunities out of this.

Status
Not open for further replies.