• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

HSBC 7's: ROUND 5 - LAS VEGAS

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TOCC

Tom Lucas injured, Quade is going to be playing a more pivotal role for the remainder of the tournament

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Tom Lucas injured, Quade is going to be playing a more pivotal role for the remainder of the tournament

Always thought Quade would be ideal for Sevens - his game against Japan just proved that. He can pack his bag for Rio as he offers that unpredictability (that backward flick pass near try line) and superb passing game that makes him look like he could be one of the super stars at Rio.

Definitely with Quade in the side made it even more entertaining to watch.....

T

TOCC

Quade's beat attribute for 7s is his long pass, it allows the team to stay wider and capitalise on space out wide..

The question is whether he can pick up the structure and tempo fast enough before Rio.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Quade's beat attribute for 7s is his long pass, it allows the team to stay wider and capitalise on space out wide..

The question is whether he can pick up the structure and tempo fast enough before Rio.

He has Paris and London legs to get there and I daresay the Oz team will camp at Toulon to enable him to train with them during their European tour.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Quade's been playing this mystery game, according to WWOS..

Screen Shot 2016-03-05 at 8.36.57 PM.png

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Quade's been playing this mystery game, according to WWOS..

View attachment 7501

Don't agree with assessment of Quade - the flick pass almost went to hand which would have made a try and even still following play after that still resulted in a try.

If people watching that game against Japan can't see what Quade offers Australian Sevens side then they need to revisit what 7's about.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I thought he did ok. Played about 5 minutes off the bench. First pass was a bit wayward, and he didn't have a huge amount to do, but I don't think he looked out of place at all.

With a bit more experience he might just make it. Looks to have a vision and playmaking ability that we lack at the moment.

It was only game 1 against mediocre opposition. But so far so good.

Lot of huge upsets - Samoa beating Fiji but the big prize goes to Kenya beating NZ 22-0

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I missed this game but I have been very impressed with Fa'ala'avau this season..

Quade Cooper made his debut, how did he go?

Against Scotland for minutes he had did not look out of place and got better and better against Japan (which are not playing too badly in Vegas as got 19-19 draw with England )

Long passing game what showing his real value along with unpredictability (back flick pass just missed coming off near try line but sort of stuff which creates edge in 7's which sides like Fiji have in droves as one of best offload sides in 7's).

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Played the full 14 against England, and again improved. He's not trying to do something incredible every play, but has shown a few really nice touches, and his long, flat passes really help our attack - we've played a lot flatter to the line with him on the field.

Also really impressed with Boyd Killingworth again, he should be in Rio for sure.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I've thought Pat McCutcheon has been good this tournament. We've waited a long time for him to be healthy but he's been impressive.

Both he and Killingworth have been really good and will threaten for a spot in the squad for Rio. Someone like Sam Myers will have to keep playing well to stay in the first choice 12.

Quade has looked pretty good. His passing game adds plenty to our attack. He'll need to play very well in his opportunities though because I think he has to push ahead of some pretty core players to make the final 12.

Stannard and Holland will both be in our best 12 and neither are playing this tournament.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Pretty sure your QF is Argentina. Ours will be winner of SA v USA thanks to our implosion v Kenya. Other confirmed QF is Fiji v Japan - the loss to Samoa may be a blessing in disguise in terms of the draw: SF v Kenya or loser of SA v USA rather than any of the usual suspects............

T

TOCC

Beating England 36-7 is an impressive score line

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Quade clearly a grade above the rest v England.
Once the rest catch up with how to play around him,things will only get better.
I'm starting to feel good about Rio!

Kingston played his best game in 7's!
Things are on the up!

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Some real selection headaches shaping up for Rio. Another issue is what we do with Pama Fou, who is one of our best players but unlikely to play any World Series events this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.