• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

HSBC 7's: ROUND 3 - WELLINGTON

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Saving the big guns for Sydney? Jenkins, Clark, Cummins, Speight and maybe Cooper?

Anyone have insight into Pat McCutcheon's current injury status?

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Should move it to Dunedin and schedule it for O week at the university. Pack out the zoo and it would have the craziest atmosphere anywhere in the world I reckon.

That would be O for awesome atmosphere-wise but it wouldn't be especially family-friendly & you'd be relying on the locals to pack the place out, Dunners being horrendously expensive to get to from just about anywhere.

A better option IMO is HamNZ: ~1.5 Mn people live within a 90 min drive; there's gotta be 50 motels within walking distance & plenty more you could run shuttle buses to & from; a No. 2 ground within the Stadium precinct (& others across & just down the road) for food & beverage marquees and/ or some family-friendly stuff; and for those determined enough the Victoria St - Hood St - Anglesea St - London St "entertainment" precinct is no more distant than Courtney Place etc from Westpac. It'd go off, trust me.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Steve Tew quoted as saying only 8,000 tickets have been sold & he's hoping for 10-15K both days. Gonna be lots & lots of baby-kak yellow seats on-screen..........

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Need to move it often anyway, lets face it there are not that many people who are 7s fans, most go for the party, and that will always pall after a few years.

T

TOCC

The New Zealand team is looking ominous..

Full team: Baker, Dickson, A & R Ioane, Kaka, Lam, Mikkelson, Pulu, Savea, Ware, Williams and Webber bit.ly/1ZXDKbu #SevensWelly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Steve Tew quoted as saying only 8,000 tickets have been sold & he's hoping for 10-15K both days. Gonna be lots & lots of baby-kak yellow seats on-screen....

Wellington 7's GM says 12K & hoping for a late surge in pre-sales plus a good walk-up to boost numbers. Still gonna be as dead as the GC7's, tho.

Need to move it often anyway, lets face it there are not that many people who are 7s fans, most go for the party, and that will always pall after a few years.

Well, yes, the 40-odd from a certain Cosmopolian Club who attended the 2000, 2001 & 2002 tournaments apparently spent as much time at Trax Bar (railway station), The Ferryman (across the road from railway station) plus various bars on Queen's Wharf, Bond St, Courtenay Place etc etc as inside the Stadium. Or so I'm told by people who were there :)

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Yep WOB, we can all dream, but the reality of 7s rugby , and that includes the Hong Kong 7s is that it is a party event where the rugby is secondary. I went to first Gold Coast 7s, and although there were a few there, most were at bar behind stands, not actually watching games. I headed same way myself after watching a few games, it's not really rugby is it!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Crowd is of Gold Coast proportions at the Cake Tin.

Australia playing like they met at the Wellington Railway Station for the first time. Portugal up 12-0 with 2 minutes to go in the first half in their first pool game.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Much better 2nd half from our blokes.

Whoever decided to sacrifice the party atmosphere for a family friendly event needs to take a good look at the crowd. Because you need to look hard to see anything besides empty seats.

Blitzbokke off to a good start.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
Just watching NZ v Russia. NZ's third try surely should have been a Russian penalty for Mikkelson playing the ball on the ground when he kicked it towards the try line.

T

TOCC

I liked the look of Tom Lucas for Australia, he created a bit of spark, but overall the team looks fairly disjointed.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Sonny Bills looked a bit lost on the paddock for the Darkness.

Savea and the Ioane's look to be the answer.

Blitzebokke in good form. NZL v SAF later today should be a cracker.

Hope all the cobwebs have been blown away in our first two games.

We have looked very rusty so far and I can't see us going too far in the knockout stages, unless there is a marked improvement in our cohesion and sharp reduction in the number of errors.

T

TOCC

Australia conceding a lot of tries down its flanks, poor defensive system perhaps but also a few poor missed tackles.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
God I hope this WR (World Rugby) spokesmuppet is just being polite:

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...y-happy-with-wellington-as-sevens-series-stop

Stadium looks less than 1/3 full which is pretty piss-poor esp. given the weather looks OK.

Saw on Fox that ARU had requested Quade be released early so he could train with the Oz squad in Welly before his debut in Sydney, but Toulon said "non". Gotta make it even harder for him to get up to speed, surely.

Status
Not open for further replies.