• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

HSBC 7's: ROUND 3 - WELLINGTON

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
January 30 & 31 at Wellington Regional Stadium aka the Cake Tin

Pool A: South Africa, New Zealand, Scotland, Russia
Pool B: Argentina, Fiji, Wales, Japan
Pool C: France, USA, England, Samoa
Pool D: Kenya, Australia, Canada, Portugal

Tournament schedule here:
http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/stage/1613/match

Standings after Round 2:

1= Fiji & South Africa 35
3 = USA & Argentina 29
5 England 26
6 = France & NZ 25
8 Australia 22

Full standings here:
http://www.worldrugby.org/sevens-series/standings

No squads have been named yet but for NZ Tim Mikkelson is the new skipper, Scott Curry being out for the season with a shoulder injury. SBW is in camp & I'm guessing he'll be named in the 12 but may only be a bench player for the minor matches (barring a repeat of the catastrophic run of injuries at CT).

zer0

John Thornett (49)
From the NZ perspective, I look forward to not having to put up with players fluffing around in Super rugby preseason training.

Highlander35

Steve Williams (59)
Is that not 3 times in a row we've had the Russians? Blimey. I know that true random selection often results in oddities like that, but it's getting a bit boring, would have preferred a go at Portugal or the Japanese.

Be interesting to see who pops up. Injury crises at Glasgow means Lee Jones probably won't get a go, that will hurt our very slim chances of escaping the Pool.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Vodafone Fiji 7s extended squad: Apisai Domolailai, Jasa Veremalua, Pio Tuwai, Osea Kolinisau, Savenaca Rawaca, Jerry Tuwai, Emosi Mulevoro, Isake Katonibau, Mitieli Nacagilevu, Sevuloni Mocenacagi, Vatemo Ravouvou, Alivereti Veitokani, Nemani Nagusa, Kitione Taliga, Josua Vici, Amenoni Nasilasila, Filipo Daugunu, Masivesi Dakuwaqa, Waqa Robanakadavu, Semi Kunatani.

To be trimmed to 14 on Friday.

http://www.fijitimes.com/story.aspx?id=338322

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It seems to me that it is time for NZ to move the event to a different city.

I think Australia should do the same after Sydney has had it for about 3 years.

I definitely feel like there is a novelty element involved and plenty of people will go a couple of times then stop going for a few years.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Support may dwindle in a few years,or they may need to consider moving it to Homebush to cater for the demand,who knows.
Planning to move it before they have played a game in front of a great crowd is premature to say the least.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Support may dwindle in a few years,or they may need to consider moving it to Homebush to cater for the demand,who knows.
Planning to move it before they have played a game in front of a great crowd is premature to say the least.

I guess I am relating it to Wellington which used to sell out instantly to then selling out before the event to then not selling out at all.

I am sure if we went through the attendances at Adelaide and then the Gold Coast they would show that the attendance peaked early and then dwindled before they eventually lost the event.

It could be in the ARU's best interests ultimately to have a planned cycle of which city hosts it between Sydney, Brisbane and Melbourne (maybe Sydney hosts it three out of six years, Brisbane 2 out of 6 and Melbourne 1 out of 6) and then you could achieve a balance where you maximise ticket sales each and every year. That would potentially conflict with the State Tourism departments who help fund/promote the event and want exclusivity over a period of time.

zer0

John Thornett (49)
Wellington not selling out anymore has far, far more to do with the literal fun Police ruining the event, than with the setting.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Wellington also decided to only sell 2-day passes, which backfired a bit as people generally only wanted to attend one day.

And as you mention there are issues of demographics- wanting to move towards a family focussed event which alienated the 18-30 market who just wanted to get on the sauce.

Sydney is locked in for four years, but I think the 'travelling roadshow' idea does have some merit. It will be really interesting to see how Sydney holds up in years 3 and 4, when all the local fans have already done it at least once.

Jimmy_Crouch

Ken Catchpole (46)
I missed Del and Matty Rogers at Ballymore in 2000 but I can only imagine it would be a cracking venue with a full house. I'm heading down to Sydney with a bunch of mates for a bucks party. Look for Snowwhite and the drunk dwarfs.

Teh Other Dave

Alan Cameron (40)
Saw International Dell and Rogers at Ballymore in 2002 (I think), it was a cracking weekend. If only the SFS had a licensed hill - you could cater for the 18-30s who want to hit the cans, while families could sit in comfort in the stands.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
SBW named for Wellington:

New Zealand Sevens squad for Wellington: Kurt Baker (Taranaki), Dylan Collier (Waikato), Sam Dickson (Canterbury), Akira Ioane (Auckland), Rieko Ioane (Auckland), Gillies Kaka (Hawke's Bay), Antonio Kiri Kiri (Manawatu), Ben Lam (Auckland), Josh Van Lieshout (Counties Manukau), Tim Mikkelson (Waikato), Sione Molia (Counties Manukau), Lewis Ormond (Taranaki), Augustine Pulu (Counties Manukau), Billy Ropiha (Hawke's Bay), Ardie Savea (Wellington), Teddy Stanaway (Bay of Plenty), Isaac Te Aute (Bay of Plenty), Isaac Te Tamaki (Waikato), Beaudein Waaka (Taranaki), Regan Ware (Waikato), Sonny Bill Williams (Counties Manukau), Joe Webber (Waikato).

Other debutants are Van Lieshout, Molia & Ropiha who apparently tore it up at the National 7's in Rotorua last weekend.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...ll-williams-in-nz-sevens-squad-for-wellington

Been trying to find something on how ticket sales are going but haven't been able to. I'm assuming that no news is bad news & that Wellington's days are numbered. I just hope they don't move it to Eden Park or, worse, Albany. My preference would be Dunners but that's a pretty expensive place to get to so maybe HamilTron would be a better option.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Bokkies:
The 12-man squad to represent South Africa in New Zealand and Australia are (all SA Rugby contracted unless specified):
Chris Dry (46)
Philip Snyman (32, captain)
Carel du Preez (3)
Kwagga Smith (17)
Sandile Ngcobo (0)
Francois Hougaard (2)
Cheslin Kolbe (DHL Western Province, 10)
Ryno Benjamin (Toyota Free State Cheetahs, 31)
Justin Geduld (20)
Rosko Specman (7)
Seabelo Senatla (21)
Juan de Jongh (DHL Western Province, 3)

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Australian Men's Sevens fixtures in Wellington, New Zealand, 30-31 January
Australia v Portugal, Pool D, 11.20am AEDT (30 January)
Australia v Canada, Pool D, 2.22pm AEDT (30 January)
Australia v Kenya, Pool D, 5.38pm AEDT (30 January)

Australian Men’s Sevens squad for Wellington Sevens
1. Henry HUTCHINSON. Club: Randwick, NSW. Hometown: Crows Nest, NSW
2. Tom KINGSTON. Club: Sydney University, NSW. Hometown: Sydney, NSW
3. Sam MYERS. Club: Northern Suburbs, NSW. Hometown: Grenfell, NSW
4. Tom LUCAS. Club: Sunnybank. Hometown: Rockhampton, QLD
5. James STANNARD. Club: Souths, QLD. Hometown: Brisbane, QLD
6. Simon KENNEWELL. Place of Birth: Collaroy, NSW. Hometown: Sydney, NSW
7. Sam FIGG. Club: Randwick, NSW. Hometown: Sydney, NSW
8. Greg JELOUDEV. Club: Sydney University, NSW. Hometown: Sydney, NSW
9. Boyd KILLINGWORTH. Club: Warringah Rats, NSW. Hometown: Collaroy, NSW
10. Allan FA'ALAVA'AU. Club: Endeavour Hills, VIC. Hometown: Melbourne, VIC
11. Stephan Van Der WALT. Club: Souths, QLD. Place of Birth: Kersdop, South Africa
12. John PORCH. Club: Northern Suburbs, NSW. Hometown: Sydney, NSW

Injured:
Malouf (knee), McCutcheon (Hamstring), Fou (Shoulder)

Debutants:
Kennewell, Porch.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Bit of speed there with Porch and Hutchinson.

Great to see.

Strong NRC connection to with Kingston, Figg, Killingworth, SVDW and Porch!

BaysideBird

Bill Watson (15)
Wellington not selling out anymore has far, far more to do with the literal fun Police ruining the event, than with the setting.

Should move it to Dunedin and schedule it for O week at the university. Pack out the zoo and it would have the craziest atmosphere anywhere in the world I reckon.

Status
Not open for further replies.