• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Honkers - a review

Status
Not open for further replies.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Caught up with my old man last night after his return from Hong Kong. Now this story must be about 4th or 5th person now, but he was sitting behind Robbie Deans' sister. They were all admiring the physique on Davie Pocock and she commented that Robbie this he's a gun and a better player than Richie McCaw at the same age.

Not a bad starting point for him.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
Rugby Rat said:
Woo Hooo.

Gitts on the bench for Italy. About time.

I do wonder if some of you lot have ever watched or played rugby. It would seem you seem to have missed the fact we have won nothing with Gitteau.

He just isn't up to regular test 10 no matter how much he is paid.

Just can't beleive you are oblivious to the 6 year losing streak. :lmao:

That's what we call "Colosseum Mode". Shift gears, Sonic.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I do wonder if some of you lot have ever watched or played rugby. It would seem you seem to have missed the fact we have won nothing with Gitteau.

Just can't beleive you are oblivious to the 6 year losing streak.

I wonder how much you have been watching.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Scotty said:

I wonder how much you have been watchingdrinking.

fixed

R

Rugby Rat

Noddy said:
Scotty said:

I wonder how much you have been watchingdrinking.

fixed
I am entitled to my opinion, however I also know that I am right. Been a drought in the Gitts era, at 39 it's the worst I can remember. The fact he gets a motza without any results only adds fuel to the fire.

My rating of Gitts goes back to 2003 WC final when he replaced Bernie after the latter tried to bite off someone's foot and received a nasty gash.

Deadset Gitts had nothing. We went sideways until Bernie came back on. I have been watching the same sideways play since Bernie left us and subsequently we lost the Qtr of a World Cup.

Only as good as the player inside you and it was only Bernie that made Gitts anything. Even then it was average at best when talking a full 80.

Most here on the Yellowscarf might settle for mediocrity. To almost win for 6 years. Almost is defeat in every sense of the word.

I myself was on the Gitts bandwagon as a replacement for Bernie in 2003. However I have realised that it was Bernie not Gitts with the great talent.

I must say it is amusing for me to read your comments. The more I read, the more I know how desperate Australian rugby is.

If the best we have fails at the top level for 6 years and counting......

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
To think that Aus's problem is Gits is just dumb.

Pigs win or lose matches, backs just work out by how far. With the mediocre front row we put out we have actually overachieved.

R

Rugby Rat

Not saying it's his fault. Bernie did make him look a whole lot better than he is.

As for piggies. It was a pleasure to see Al have a good game on Saturday.

IMO The forwards in the last 6 years have done their job. The lineout has been solid. Our scrum has been shakey on occaisions but not every occaision. Smithy and co at the breakdown have turned it over back to us.

The piggies have won enough quality ball for the backs to use. Problems start at 10 IMO.

Barnes is a good player. Solid. No Bernie but learning.

F

formeropenside

I think Gits is a better 12 than 10. I also think he is still learning 10: at least I hope he is, because otherwise this season he has taken some terrible options, mostly in the kicking department, when he chooses to kick.

J

Jury

Tom said:
How old was McCaw when he made his debut?

I saw a clip of Richie playing for NZ school boys in 1998. He was the best player on the park even then. It was strange watching because the commentator didn't (of course) know him and had to go to the number on his back to identify him i.e. Oh, the number 7 has come through and got that ball. Fantastic steal there. And the No.7 is a young man called Richard McCaw from xxx.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Most here on the Yellowscarf might settle for mediocrity. To almost win for 6 years. Almost is defeat in every sense of the word.

My point is not against your opinion, but that Gits has not started the majority of those test matches at 10 in the last 6 years. So how you can say he is losing us all those games by being a poor 10 is beyond me.

Or do you mean 6 months?

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
Don't get me wrong here but people tend to forget some of Bernies poorer games.

He was maybe the worst wet weather flyhalf you could probably find his kicking game was worse than Giteau's.

Larkham was a brilliant playmaker probably the best pass I've ever seen at any level in any code.

Larkham was a good defender but probably not as snappy as Gits when hitting the legs.

If you compare major strengths this is how I see it.

Pass-Larkham
Brains-Larkham
Defence-Even
Speed-Giteau
Ball running (Beat defender) - Giteau
General Play kicking- Giteau (I'll never forget 2004 Bled 1 sorry Bernie)
Goalkicking-Giteau (has a better percentage this season than Carter 85%-83%)

Big fan of Larkham he was a matchwinner in his day & anyone that has ever read my posts will know I'm quick to bag Gits but I feel he is making big progress in the 10 jersey & really isn't far behind Carter.

Gits is the man for 2011.

R

Rugby Rat

Scotty said:

My point is not against your opinion, but that Gits has not started the majority of those test matches at 10 in the last 6 years. So how you can say he is losing us all those games by being a poor 10 is beyond me.

Or do you mean 6 months?
Bernie was not part of the Over Rated.

I said the problem starts at 10. If 10 ain't a problem then move on to 11. Simple really.

R

Rugby Rat

disco said:
Don't get me wrong here but people tend to forget some of Bernies poorer games.

He was maybe the worst wet weather flyhalf you could probably find his kicking game was worse than Giteau's.

Larkham was a brilliant playmaker probably the best pass I've ever seen at any level in any code.

Larkham was a good defender but probably not as snappy as Gits when hitting the legs.

If you compare major strengths this is how I see it.

Pass-Larkham
Brains-Larkham
Defence-Even
Speed-Giteau
Ball running (Beat defender) - Giteau
General Play kicking- Giteau (I'll never forget 2004 Bled 1 sorry Bernie)
Goalkicking-Giteau (has a better percentage this season than Carter 85%-83%)

Big fan of Larkham he was a matchwinner in his day & anyone that has ever read my posts will know I'm quick to bag Gits but I feel he is making big progress in the 10 jersey & really isn't far behind Carter.

Gits is the man for 2011.
So we have won how many WC's and Bleds with Gitts. Might find it's a big fat blot. O .

Gitts a better ball runner :lmao: Bernie was like an eel when he ran. Also he knew WHEN to run.
The only bad games I saw Bernie play were the one two after injury. That is pretty much universal accross all sports.

You rate Bernie a better passer ? Ummm...that's pretty much what a flyhalf should do.

For Gitts IMO, a good game here and there is more luck than talent.

Also, I am mostly one eyed Australian but in this instance Carter is miles ahead.

Good post though Disco and I maybe just can see a spot for Gitts in 2011..
On the Bench.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Rugby Rat said:
IMO The forwards in the last 6 years have done their job.

RR - you're right that there's been a problem for the last 6 years, but as Disco points it was Larkham who was the incumbent five eighth up until the end of last year. Giteau was even playing 9 to accommodate him. So if a 10 created a six year losing streak it was Bernie.

The truth is it wasn't Bernie, it was the pack. See last years RWC QF as the latest demonstration.

I think you've got a point about Gits not being in his best position though - more 12 than 10 - and I reckon that's what Antipodeans is looking at this weekend giving Barnes a run there.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
RR - you're right that there's been a problem for the last 6 years, but as Disco points it was Larkham who was the incumbent five eighth up until the end of last year. Giteau was even playing 9 to accommodate him. So if a 10 created a six year losing streak it was Bernie.

I've already said this to RR in two posts now, but I don't think his comprehension skills are up to it. Or maybe I wasn't blunt enough.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Scotty said:

I've already said this to RR in two posts now, but I don't think his comprehension skills are up to it. Or maybe I wasn't blunt enough.

Yeah, I thought maybe it was just the combination of words he wasn't picking up on, so I switched them round a bit.

Also thought maybe he just needed it punched in again.

R

rugbywhisperer

I don't deny Giots has skills beyond mortal men, but I have to agree.
Ever since I noticed I have made not and it is not often he doesn't go sideways when at 10 and many times at 12.
he needs to straighten up big time and on the odd occasion he has we have gone forward handsomely.

Status
Not open for further replies.