• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Highlanders v Reds, Round 17, July 14. Party at Tony Brown's.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
images

ACR

Desmond Connor (43)
Agreed on the Reds having some promising young players, they have a sprinkling of talent. I don't think their experienced players are up to it though.

It's time for Smith and Moore and a few others to move on. George Smith is a bit of a penalty magnet, he has a high work rate but the game's moved on from when he was most effective (2007 and earlier) with the loose ruck rules. I dunno.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Crap - why do Australian kickers get charged down so much.

Poor technique and fundamentally bad set up. Also the plays are so telegraphed because there is generally only one kicker in each side even when there are more that can actually execute the skill.

All Australian Coaches are woeful in this fundamental aspect of the game, designing set plays that actually work and give options. That include at Wallabies level where they have no exit strategy except a box kick from Genia (= nil gain or charge down) or clearing kick from Foley (= doesn't go out, high % chance of charge down or makes poor metres.)

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah - my question in the kicks was a bit rhetorical. It is just frustrating that they seem unable to at least identify and address some of the more obvious deficiencies in our games.

With regards to the senior players - or at least Cooper & Smith I thought both of them showed that they were very capable of competing at this level and could really help bring this next generation through.

But my frustration with them is a bit like the kicking. The penalities they give away are so obvious and unnecessary. It is not like the refs are being inconsistent. Both are smart enough players to adapt their games, but seem unwilling to do so. Sorry - I can't blame coaching for that. They are senior players and need to address obvious short comings in their games which are letting us down every single week.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - my question in the kicks was a bit rhetorical. It is just frustrating that they seem unable to at least identify and address some of the more obvious deficiencies in our games.

With regards to the senior players - or at least Cooper & Smith I thought both of them showed that they were very capable of competing at this level and could really help bring this next generation through.

But my frustration with them is a bit like the kicking. The penalities they give away are so obvious and unnecessary. It is not like the refs are being inconsistent. Both are smart enough players to adapt their games, but seem unwilling to do so. Sorry - I can't blame coaching for that. They are senior players and need to address obvious short comings in their games which are letting us down every single week.

I agree with everything except the bolded bit. When you have been given no tools but have the ability to be so much better than what is getting shown week in week out, you either give up (which nobody who gets to this level is likely to be guilty of) or you get frustrated and that shows up in a variety of ways, which are predictable from a players history.

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I understand what you mean Gnostic - but I don't agree. The both have high enough rugby IQs to be able to identify the issues in their games. Smiths penalities & Coopers High tackled are clear issues.

Coaching certainly is not blameless, but I don't accept that guys of Cooper & Smiths standing and experience should be excused.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
G.Smith must be thinking what in the name of Little Richard Grahams Crackers did I come back for this shit for. Although seeing how the ARU manage their finances, he’s probably getting paid more than the All Black captain.

If Quade was an Auckland Blue I would be barking my shins on my brain in my haste to march in here every Friday night and explode into a frothing 36-pt font Laveathon of bug-eyed delirium. Wtf is he doing. Hot on attack and he lofts another daft little nothing lob kick gently into the arms of a probably completely fuckign astonished opposition fullback.

ps only in rugby, all-in stoush right on fulltime, final whistle blows, players all immediately start shaking hands

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I understand what you mean Gnostic - but I don't agree. The both have high enough rugby IQs to be able to identify the issues in their games. Smiths penalities & Coopers High tackled are clear issues.

Coaching certainly is not blameless, but I don't accept that guys of Cooper & Smiths standing and experience should be excused.

I don't excuse it, just trying to understand where it is coming from, because when those same players are on the front foot with a functional team those things are not issues.

Cooper was lucky tonight with the high tackles, and the shoulder charge in goal in stopping the try. Not excusing it in anyway, and in Cooper's case he's has been a poor defender with poor technique for most of his career, the fact it remains an issue certainly is a player issue that is exacerbated under duress.

Reactions: TSR

TSR

Andrew Slack (58)
I dunno - to expand on the earlier posts, I thought there were some very positive performances, despite the score. At a time when it's tough to find the silver lining I don't mind reflecting on it a bit.

Timu's debut was very promising, and I like what I see in Stewart (despite the charged down kick). Tupou & Rodda were both strong, and Tuttle continues to impress me. DP was pretty good, and I really like Magnay - hope they can sort his contract out.

Perese didnt have his best game, but still showed why he is highly rated.

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Right lads, no point in keeping this thread open. 2017 done and dusted. Onwards and upwards to 2018!!

Sent from my SM-J710GN using Tapatalk

an_old_soviet_train_by_derschnaps-d1a3oft.jpg

CHOO CHOO COMREDS!!!!!! THE 2018 GLORIOUS RED ARMY HYPE TRAIN IS LEAVING THE STATION!!!!!!! ALL ABOARD!!!!!! NO BRAKES!!!!!!!!!!! NEXT STOP, 2018 SUPER RUGBY CHAMPIONS!!!!!!!!!

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
The first Highlanders try is a joke. How can you blow your wistle and then after say play on once the reds players have played to the whistle and stopped.

Sent from my SM-G928I using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
The reds struggle to put phases together. That maul call was a joke and the Highlanders are offside at every chance they get. Have referees forgot about the offside rule ?

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
The commentary is so bad. The lick so much NZ arse. When a reds player palms off a Hurricanes player they say it wasn't a legit palm off. Hahaha.

Status
Not open for further replies.