• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Heineken Cup 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
You tore them a new one, very entertaining game as well. Particularly enjoyed Ross' try. I asked whether Madser could be a late lions bolter, his display last night in front of Fatland will not have hurt his chances, unfortunately. Hopefully one down two to go for Irish teams against english teams. Ulster next, SUFTUM. And us tomorrow, SUAF.

He is making a late run for sure, the only problem is the favourite for the 10 jersey will be fit next week, can Schmidt get them both in side? Would like to see Madigan get a go at 12 if Sexton as straight back in at 10. If anything just so he can learn from Sextons game control.

Disappointed Ulster lost, haven't seen it yet but thought they had the beating of London South Africa. Hopefully Munster can do a job on Quins, you'll need to be maniac at the breakdown and ROG needs to play flat or else it could get ugly.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
The first half of Sarries v Ulster was pretty even. Ulster will feel hard done by in relation to Sarries 1st try. A wayward pass from an Ulster player went into touch inside their own 22. Sarries drove over from the resulting lineout. Replays showed that the pass actually hit a Sarries hand before it went out so it should have been Ulster's lineout. Pienaar missed a couple of penalties in the first half including one off the posts. Instead of being even at half time Ulster were 10 points behind and chasing the game.

Ulster were dominant in the scrum for most of the game with John Afoa being particularly destructive. Unfortunately for Ulster there were far more lineouts than scrums and theirs wasn't functioning too well. Sarries picked off a lot of Ulster ball at the lineout with Borthwick being particularly impressive. It got so bad that with about 10 minutes left Pienaar, from just outside the Sarries 22, elected to tap a penalty rather than kick for the corner.

Sarries rush defence and their kick chase really disrupted Ulster's rhythm, especially in the 2nd half when Ulster were forcing things a little too much. The pressure from Sarries caused the turn over that eventually led to Ashton bringing out the swan dive to seal the game.

Ulster did go over for a late consolation try from Henderson who looked impressive with a few barnstorming runs. Olding's break set up the chance for Henderson who finished it off really well. In the few minutes he had on the field Olding made some really impressive breaks. Tommy Bowe also looked sharp and made some good breaks, if he plays as well for the next month or so he'll be on the Lions for sure.

Overall Sarries deserved the win despite the try that shouldn't have been. They made it very hard for Ulster to establish any rhythm and they choked off their supply from the lineout. If there had been a few more scrums in the game it might have been a different story. Farrell as always continued to kick the points for Sarries to keep the gap and he only missed once the margin was too big for Ulster to come back.

Sarries will be a confident team going into the semi finals. They'll believe they can beat the winner of Toulon v Leicester and make a fist HEC final appearance.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
judging by the gloating of the commentators, and also some of involvements - it looks like POC in on the plane to Oz

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
judging by the gloating of the commentators, and also some of involvements - it looks like POC in on the plane to Oz
I hope so, wish this game was on last night though. Would have been happy to drink pints and watch this game.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Great win from Munster, Quins were well beaten in the end. POC motm with POM not far behind him. Thought ROG did well to recover from missing 2 easy penalties to kick the rest of his points.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Great weekend, Rebels and Munster winning. Couldn't be happier and POC just booked his spot on the Lions tour.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
POC was outstanding. Handed Robshaw a lesson in leadership. Another limp Robshaw captaincy exhibition. When his team's struggling, he's invisible as a leader. That's the third time I've seen Quins in about the last month. Some serious mojo has been lost. No tempo, no rhythm, no offloading. Today they were just bullied out of it.

POC on the plane and skipper, though I doubt the latter happening. Zebo has to be in with a very decent chance, too, though I doubt his kind appears to Fatland. A winger with a decent left boot can be very handy.

Roll on Tiggers -v- Toulon.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Ah well, I tipped Tiggers but happy to see Toulon go through. Tiggers offered nothing in the second half except magnificent defence. They should have had a third YC on the day - Slater's leg block on Armitage - but it ultimately didn't matter. Flood had a shocker except for his goal kicking, St Jonny was the ultimate pro.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
What a day, voice gone but managed to sing and shout for the whole game!!! Paulie was immense, some man for one man but right through the team there were great performances. Mike Sherry is the best hooker in Ireland now, Dave Kilcoyne is a great back up to Healy, Ryan will be very close to the Lions if he is fit. The TOD was my man of the match after himself, Murray is on the plane to Aus. Unfortunately there are going to be ten Irish Lions IMHO, Gatland knows the quality they bring although I will be delighted if they are left at home.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
POC, what can you say, second only to Martin Johnson in the professional era as a leader. Robshaw showed that when his team is under the pump he is nowhere to be seen. Most of all delighted for Rob Penny, he has taken a lot of stick this season but lets be honest Munster don't have the squad to compete on two fronts, he has prioritised the Heino and got his rewards today! Well done Munster!

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
POC, what can you say, second only to Martin Johnson in the professional era as a leader. Robshaw showed that when his team is under the pump he is nowhere to be seen. Most of all delighted for Rob Penny, he has taken a lot of stick this season but lets be honest Munster don't have the squad to compete on two fronts, he has prioritised the Heino and got his rewards today! Well done Munster!
Penney has used the rabo to stretch the players out of their comfort zone. I suspect he has been not far off banning the maul in some games so the players have to try something different, this has rapidly improved their core skill set which means that they return to the more direct Heineken cup style confident in their abilities and view the maul as a dear old cherished friend. I think we will struggle against Clermont but we were rank outsiders yesterday and proved the doubters wrong, who is to say we cannot do it again? With Paul O'Connell involved nothing is impossible.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Penney has used the rabo to stretch the players out of their comfort zone. I suspect he has been not far off banning the maul in some games so the players have to try something different, this has rapidly improved their core skill set which means that they return to the more direct Heineken cup style confident in their abilities and view the maul as a dear old cherished friend. I think we will struggle against Clermont but we were rank outsiders yesterday and proved the doubters wrong, who is to say we cannot do it again? With Paul O'Connell involved nothing is impossible.

I think Sundays game wasn't back to the "traditional" Munster way of playing they just played Pennys game very well and actually used their centres properly. The only downside is that it gives the English clubs more power at the negotiating table as us sneaky Paddies and those pesky Frogs have the whole Heineken Cup tipped in their favour.

I think Munster have a punchers chance against Clermont, but they are going to have to match them upfront for 80 minutes. For me POC, Botha and Murray are the key, if they can all play well for 80 minutes yous have a chance.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Fillol got 14 weeks for spitting at Stringer. He'll miss the rest of the season and the first 4 weeks of next season too. Good to see they didn't take this lightly, no room for spitting in the game. I wish they'd also do something about the increased back chat to referees.

Italophile

Bill Watson (15)
Fillol got 14 weeks for spitting at Stringer. He'll miss the rest of the season and the first 4 weeks of next season too. Good to see they didn't take this lightly, no room for spitting in the game. I wish they'd also do something about the increased back chat to referees.

The back-chatting and hands thrown into the air at every breakdown appealing for penalties*. Tiresome.

*Unless you included that in the back-chatting comment.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I think Sundays game wasn't back to the "traditional" Munster way of playing they just played Pennys game very well and actually used their centres properly. The only downside is that it gives the English clubs more power at the negotiating table as us sneaky Paddies and those pesky Frogs have the whole Heineken Cup tipped in their favour.

I think Munster have a punchers chance against Clermont, but they are going to have to match them upfront for 80 minutes. For me POC, Botha and Murray are the key, if they can all play well for 80 minutes yous have a chance.
Don't know why but I really fancy our chances against Clermont, everything seems to have clicked into place with the better weather/ pitch conditions. ROG has come through the doldrums and is now back playing flat which is the big difference for the back line. The Earl is coming back to fitness (hopefully) although Dougie is taking his time. Murray has already outplayed Parra once this season, he is turning into a very good player. I am not so worried about the scrum because the weather will be perfect in Montpellier and even then I think Botha will handle Domingo and Killer is turning into a proper weapon. The Clermont backline is obviously dangerous but if we can get a foothold on some decent possession I think they do have defensive liabilities that can be exploited by Zebo, Jones, Laulala and the Earl.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
Don't know why but I really fancy our chances against Clermont, everything seems to have clicked into place with the better weather/ pitch conditions. ROG has come through the doldrums and is now back playing flat which is the big difference for the back line. The Earl is coming back to fitness (hopefully) although Dougie is taking his time. Murray has already outplayed Parra once this season, he is turning into a very good player. I am not so worried about the scrum because the weather will be perfect in Montpellier and even then I think Botha will handle Domingo and Killer is turning into a proper weapon. The Clermont backline is obviously dangerous but if we can get a foothold on some decent possession I think they do have defensive liabilities that can be exploited by Zebo, Jones, Laulala and the Earl.

There is no logical reason why Munster should win but I also have a feeling that they might. Irish teams give Clermont the shits, since 2008 they've been knocked out by Munster/Leinster each year and I think if Munster can weather the inevitable quick start, as Leinster did last year, I think they will nick it.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Sorry if this comes across as a bit arrogant but thought I would post my report of Munster's game last night. Lots to look forward to given this performance from a Munster team without one player who will start the semi final:

Munster dominated possession for the first ten minutes, clearing out well and presenting good clean ball for Sheridan. But sloppy handling led to a fair number of scrums, the dragons were pinged a few times for going early, I would say this was because we were owning them in that department. Archer was destroying his man but our dominance was not going to get the penalty rewards it deserved. Keatley declined a lengthy but (for him) well within range, kick in favour of a kick for touch, a mistake, especially as Damian Varley did not have a great day with his darts, three over thrown at least and plenty of others underthrown which allowed the Dragons to contest and dirty our ball.

Their first bit of possession in our 22 resulted in a penalty against Ronan for closing off, think it was similar to Warburton's pinging against England for going beyond the ball and coming back to contest which seems to be the refs interpretation du jour!?! However this stirred Munster into action and sustained possession resulted in space out wide for Keatley to find Paddy Butler (proud of my first ever journalistic scoop there!?!) with a beautifully judged crossfield kick. The decision would have gone upstairs I think if the cameras had been there so the awarding of the try caused a fair bit of muttering among the partisan but friendly crowd of 7524. Keatley missed the right hand touchline conversion (no disgrace) but it was the first of a few misses that I think would have disappointed the fella.

Frustratingly a penalty was conceded almost immediately (Archer in at the side I think). Their first Try was also the result of an error, it happened on the far side from me so I didn't see the players but the ball was dropped as we went on one of our blind alley, blind side forays. It was partly down to some serious indecision from Sheridan but from the kick chase, Jones scooted in under the posts. I was starting to get a feeling of deja vu from the Glasgow game!?! Sometimes someone has got to hold onto the ball and take the contact rather than shovelling it on to the next fella who gets smashed man and ball.

The next ten minutes passed with little bother for Munster, Varley compensated for his poor darts by winning the first of three 'jackelled' penalties but too often the resulting line outs would be lost or result in a poor platform. We did at least show a willingness to maul although the maul loses its effectiveness(IMHO) when the ball is underthrown.

13 - 5 became 16 - 5 with the binning of Butler. I am not a great one for blaming refs but it was a very marginal call whether or not it was a penalty so I felt the YC was tough although Butler's actions did snuff out a promising attack by the increasingly fluent Dragons. Butler tackled his man, made it back to his feet, challenged the tackled player and won the ball. Whether he released the tackled player properly before he challenged is the moot point but I felt their was enough doubt for the YC not to have been brandished even if a penalty was awarded. I was very impressed with Paddy Butler, he is a very intelligent footballer who has the gears to give himself plenty of time and I felt this was a tough call on the young fella.

I am afraid Keatley missed a long but very kickable penalty shortly after this. I am concerned that kicking is a part of the game that does not come naturally to Keats, he looks a bit mechanical and ponderous off the floor and restarting, however the rest of his game including his kicking for territory were very impressive and he has some serious wheels.

Stephen Archer went to the blood bin towards the end of the half with what looked like a badly broken nose. Ryan came on and did well at his one scrum before halftime. However, at this stage the lads were starting to look increasingly rattled and the Dragons were getting a foothold in the game. It didn't help that there were examples of poor decision making from Munster, the most glaring being the decision to tap another short arm scrum penalty under their sticks rather than ask for the reset; in mitigation Butler was in the bin but our seven were better than their eight I would have said. Butler returned to the fray and immediately affected an excellent turnover under our posts but we didn't clear our lines well enough, resulting in the drop goal on the stroke of half time which took the score to 19-5. We defended well for those last few minutes of the half and did well to prevent them scoring a try.

Archer returned at the start of the second half and almost immediately we showed much greater intensity and savvy. Keatley kicked beautifully for territory and we started to play in the right parts of the field. Archer was a little unlucky to get pinged for not rolling it was a bit of a tough call because the size he is it must be difficult to get out of the way.

Sheridan and JJ left the field soon after the assured Prydie had taken the score to 22-5. I wasn't massively impressed with either lads display; Sheridan was guilty of indecision on a couple of occasions and his small step does allow the defence a beat of time to get up but he is brave as a lion, he kept tackling Faletau at the end of the first half when we were under the cosh and I didn't see one missed pass. Not for the first time I felt that in JJ we are using a rapier as a sledgehammer; I do not think he is a 12, he is a 10. Too often he was crashing into contact and attempting the miracle offload which just doesn't look like his natural game. He got badly bounced a couple of times when defending as well.He made a couple of nice breaks but I do wonder whether the future might not be JJ 10 and Keats 12 (one for Dowlinz).

I am going to say straight away that Williams had a very good half an hour, he was quick to the breakdown and his pass was a lot better than we have seen at times this year. Keatley was starting to boss the game, another jackal from Varley resulted in a quickly taken, massive kick for touch that took us into the Dragons 22 and from memory led to Ronan O'Mahony's excellently taken try. But most important to the Munster galvinization was the close in work by the pack. DOC II had a very strong game carrying as did Ronan. ROM was very sharp and I was very pleased to see him coming off his wing looking for work, he was assured under the high ball, three clean catches I counted, and his try was very well taken. The conversion was missed from the left hand touch line off the post but the tails were up and the lads fired back down into the Dragons half with the score at 22-10 and the game coming to life.

Danny Barnes was offering plenty going forwards but he did tend to get smashed in the tackle; He did however put in the tackle of the night on the Dragons winger which was a proper bone cruncher. Dineen moved into 12 where I think he is better suited and the whole team started to click and most importantly we stopped dropping the ball. There were still a few too many attempted miracle passes/ offloads but generally we were playing sensible rugby.

Archer came off at this point with what looked like an injured wrist, I pray he is OK for next weekend because I think we will need him. He has obviously put in stacks of work on his scrummaging and I am delighted for him and Munster that it is starting to pay off in spades. I will make one of my rash predictions that he will be in the Ireland squad by the next six nations and starting very effectively for Ireland in the RWC!!! Billy Holland made way for Nagle. BH is just the sort of player Munster need, dependable, strong and intelligent; he seems to be slipping effortlessly into the MOD role and if DOC does not make Montpellier, BH will not let anyone down. The superb Butler made way for Stander to come on at eight.

We were rumbling at this stage, battering into the Dragons defence and then off the back of a scrum CJ managed to bullock his way over. I didn't really see what happened next but the net result was that after Keatley had slotted the simple conversion, Varley ended up in the bin. It was a proper free for all in the in goal area after the try had been scored so for one man to be singled out seemed a little unusual. Whether the binning affected the result is hard to say but it certainly led to one penalty being tapped rather than kicked for touch as we had no hooker. Marcus had come on by this stage and it was heartening to think he was not going to be involved in a capitulation as the Munster 14 sensed that the game was there for the taking with the Dragons flagging. After multiple phases Johne was put through to touch down under the posts, Keats converted and we were in front.

The game was motoring now with the Dragons firing back into Munster's half. A speculative Garryowen was hoisted which I felt was much too long but Denis Hurley failed to get underneath it which was disappointing and we were back under pressure, then Johne failed to find touch from inside our 22 and instead send the ball straight into the not inconsiderable mits of the mighty Faletau in acres of space. Every Dragons runner knew they needed to be on his shoulder as you will not stop the fella offloading which he duly did and a couple of passes later Wardle was in the corner. However the missed conversion meant there was all to play for and the players knew they had five minutes even if the crowd didn't. Back came Munster, building phases again until another pass went astray being overforced and the Dragons intercepted, Hurley and Johne showed good pace to get back and I felt Munster were unlucky to concede the penalty as I felt Johne forced the Dragons player to hold on, but I am biased!?!

Still, however this young team refused to lie down and CJ protested vehemently that he was tackled before the ball reached him but the ref was not having it, scrum Dragons, game over.

Status
Not open for further replies.