• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Headgear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Also, why is habana allowed to wear skins under his jersey? And what does he need them for anyway?Preventing the lactic acid build up in his elbows from repeatedly lifting his massive padded torso off the floor?

I've often had a chuckle about his padding but honestly, who cares if he wears skins??

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
This is ridiculous though.....if you're that concerned about your head, then perhaps it's time to call it quits

ipad-art-wide-berrick-barnes-420x0.jpg

That is ridiculous. Boxing headgear is relatively heavy compared to IRB gear as well, so I wouldn't write off the possibility of it injuring other players.

The ARU, in their SmartRugby program, explicity state that there is no proof headgear helps in combating or limiting the extent of concussions. They guard against cuts and abrasions, and their biggest benefit is the placebo effect, giving more confidence to players to attack the ball.

I've worn headgear since I started playing again this year (not at Super Rugby level, and no I don't know what that's like Matt Burke so I'm sorry) and I'll admit, it does make me feel more at ease. However, in my second game I suffered a rather nasty concussion. Doctor said the headgear made very little difference.

The most likely answer here is that Berrick is just naturally prone to concussion. He could strap pillows to his head and it wouldn't make a noticeable difference.

It'd be funny though.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Also, why is habana allowed to wear skins under his jersey? And what does he need them for anyway?Preventing the lactic acid build up in his elbows from repeatedly lifting his massive padded torso off the floor?
Habana wears CCC baselayers he is contracted to them. Fine to wear long sleeve tops but leggings are a no no.

gtjack

Herbert Moran (7)
in recent years player accessories - headgear, skins, shoulder pads, other padding - has become ridiculous, especially at a schoolboy level. an under 14 A team were all wearing long arm skins at one point in the 09 season, and it is somewhat uncommon to see schooboy players not wearing half-tight skins on their legs for various reason (lineouts, chafing, even some people wear them to prevent lactic acid build up!). While all these accesories have their own value, players in the 60's and 70's never wore any of this protection and seem to be none the worse for it. I wore shoulder pads up until this season where i made the conscious decision to not wear anything other than headgear in addition to my uniform, and playing through this season i haven't noticed any real difference while not wearing them. maybe it is just a case of players hardening up? understandably some people suffer shoulder, neck injuries etc and the merit of headgear is well documented and understood, but is it really necessary to wear excessive stuff to the point of a bryan habana? and if berrick barnes wants to wear boxing headgear to prevent concussion, maybe it is time to quit. whats the next step, padding up like an american football player? this just ruins some of the integrity of the game

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Barnes to battle on with disorder

Iain Payten in Durban From: The Daily Telegraph June 02, 2011 12:00AM

BERRICK Barnes would love to "not let it be a thing".

But when you have missed six of 13 matches this year because of head knocks, concern about whether the "thing" is a short or long-term problem is only natural.

"Obviously it doesn't look good when you come off and you don't know where you are or what you're doing," Barnes said. "But that's just part of the issue I have."

Barnes returns for the Waratahs against the Bulls in Pretoria early on Saturday morning after withdrawing at the 11th-hour from the team to play the Sharks last weekend. After taking a head knock against the Lions, Barnes felt woozy and off-colour after a lengthy training session late in the week.

The withdrawal came after Barnes had missed five other games between March and April, when he experienced the same sustained symptoms following concussions against the Reds and Brumbies.

But despite a focus on the danger of repetitive concussion in recent times, Barnes's doctors diagnosed him with "footballer's headache" - a post-head-knock condition that brings on migraines and dizziness when a person exercises heavily.

It is not thought to have a long-term effect on the brain and Barnes has put his trust in NSW team doctor Sharon Flahive and his neurologist, Professor John Watson.

"That's what the studies say. It's hard to know," the 24-year-old said. "I don't know if it is a long-term thing, I just have to trust that the medical people do.

"I think anyone would be worried if you are doing a lot of that stuff, but after a week or so it settles down for me and I feel good again and am ready to go.

"Sharon's been fantastic and all my dealings with John Watson have been great as well. It is up to me to embrace that and get on with it."

Having trained strongly and without illness this week, Barnes's confidence will be put to the test this weekend when he puts on the NSW No. 12 jersey and steps into a defence-heavy channel against the Bulls in Pretoria.

Up against the scheming midfield of Morne Steyn and Wynand Olivier, Barnes knows the NSW defence must be aware of the Bulls' underrated running game.

"It is a harder position to defend than in 10 but in saying that, you have to just number up and do what you normally do," Barnes said.

"They are a pretty effective centre combination. There is a bit of subtlety in their lines you have take care of.

"(Outside centre Jaco) Pretorius is a pretty crafty player. And Steyn's running and passing is under-rated."

A solid performance could be well timed for Barnes, who is the Test incumbent at inside centre.

He doesn't want Wallabies coach Robbie Deans looking elsewhere to fill the position.

"Robbie is going to have his plan and your performances now matter," Barnes said. "You have to step up."

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A mouthguard is all you need.

Anything more was a just target to me to stomp on.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)

Long sleeves go a long way when trying to catch the slippery ball.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
in recent years player accessories - ......, but is it really necessary to wear excessive stuff to the point of a bryan habana? and if berrick barnes wants to wear boxing headgear to prevent concussion, maybe it is time to quit. whats the next step, padding up like an american football player? this just ruins some of the integrity of the game
Agree with your sentiment re Juniors / school-boys, but at the pro level these days, some of the hits and ruck / maul clear-outs are brutal, the game is now designed for human exocets. Back in the day being able to use your feet in rucks meant the type of body on body contact we see now wasnt a feature of the game.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Mouth guards are where it is at in preventing concussions, apparently. Weird, but I read a bunch of things in relation to the NFL in which this idea was put forward.

Should be noted that even with those big helmets, American football players still get concussed often. Anti-concussion helmets exist and more are being developed, but mouth guard technology is big too.

D

daz

Just my opinion, but Berrick can wear a king sized mattress wrapped around his head for all I care, as long as:

a) He is available to back-fill the 12 spot at the RWC.
b) He is healthy.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I play without any of the pads or headgear however, this year I've started wearing Skins after the game and man, I don't want to take them off for about 2 days....I was amazed at how much quicker I seem to recover - I love them.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
Just my opinion, but Berrick can wear a king sized mattress wrapped around his head for all I care, as long as:

a) He is available to back-fill the 12 spot at the RWC.
b) He is healthy.

And then all you'd need to do is put retractable wheels in the matress so he won't even need a stretcher the next time he's knocked-out.....

R

Richard D. James

Isn't the main issue not the actual impact with the head, but the rapid deceleration of the brain as it hits your skull?

this is why NFL players still get concussed even with the giant helmets.

Jnor

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Isn't the main issue not the actual impact with the head, but the rapid deceleration of the brain as it hits your skull?

this is why NFL players still get concussed even with the giant helmets.

That was my impression, but I have no actual education on the issue. Don't know how motorcycle/bicycle/skiing helmets would fit in here either. I know their primary function is to stop the skull caving in, but you would think they prevent concussion as well...

I guess the solution for Berrick is to develop the Homer Simpson thick skull brain padding, and quickly.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Some research on the matter

http://www.science.unsw.edu.au/news/padded-headgear-won-t-stop-concussion/

Padded headgear won't stop concussion
By Bob Beale
February 19, 2009

Standard permitted Rugby headgear

Modified non-permitted headgear
Padded headgear does not reduce the rate of concussion or head injury for Rugby Union players, a major new Australian study has found. It concluded that although individual players may choose to wear the padded headgear, its routine use cannot be recommended to reduce the chances of sustaining concussion while playing or training.

A report published in the journal Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise, details how a team of researchers monitored the on-field performance of more than 4,000 players in more than 80 teams. The players, aged between 12 and 20, were followed over almost 29,000 hours of actual playing time in normal competition and results were compiled from written questionnaires.

A control group wore no headgear, a second group wore a scrum cap permitted by the International Rugby Board (IRB), and a third group was assigned to wear modified headgear with thicker, denser foam padding (a design outside the permitted standard in Rugby).

No differences in the rates of head injury or concussion were found between the control group and those wearing standard headgear. Informal feedback from players suggested that the non-standard modified headgear was uncomfortable to wear.

"From a biomechanical perspective, well-designed headgear has the potential to prevent injury by decreasing the impact force and distributing it over a larger area of the head," the authors say. "This has been demonstrated for pedal and motor cycle helmets. After many years of research and development, some improvement in the performance of helmets in American football has been achieved."

The study was led by Dr Andrew McIntosh, a biomechanics expert in the UNSW School of Risk and Safety Sciences, working with colleagues at the University of Melbourne, the University of Ballarat, the University of Otago and Monash University. The research was funded by the International Rugby Board (IRB) with support from the Australian Rugby Union.

"Skull fractures and intracranial bleeding are rare in Rugby injuries, but concussion is relatively common," says Dr McIntosh. "There's some evidence that the standard headgear may prevent some minor head wounds but our study found that it was of no benefit in preventing concussion."

Head injury - including cuts and abrasions - has been reported to account for one sixth of all Rugby injuries. Most are soft-tissue injuries. Although catastrophic brain injury in Rugby is rare, concussion has been reported across a number of studies to account for up to 15% of all Rugby injuries.

Concussion is a mild to severe traumatic brain injury. Symptoms include headache, dizziness, vomiting, nausea and movement problems, usually subsiding within a few days. But complications can occur and severe or repeated concussions can be of significant medical concern.

Commenting on the findings, a spokesman for the IRB said that, under the IRB's Laws of the Game, the use of padded headgear is not mandatory: "The game's governing body has never promoted the wearing of padded headgear as a measure to reduce the chances of concussion. The wearing of approved padded headgear has been sanctioned on the basis that it should not cause harm or injury to anyone on the field of play."

Media contacts:
Dr Andrew McIntosh - Office: +61-2-9385 5348 - Mobile + 61-400-403-678 -a.mcintosh@unsw.edu.au
UNSW Faculty of Science - Bob Beale + 61-411-705-435 - bbeale@unsw.edu.au

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
All the guys who think BB's idea is crazy - you are not hearing the news about concussion. If BB wants to wear more padding and he is forbidden by his employer, he will sue their arses off. The rules of the game sometimes change. Recent medical research indicates that rugby, NFL and other head contact sports are going to have to change. Might as well stay positive about trying to figure out a solution.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
All the guys who think BB's idea is crazy - you are not hearing the news about concussion. If BB wants to wear more padding and he is forbidden by his employer, he will sue their arses off. The rules of the game sometimes change. Recent medical research indicates that rugby, NFL and other head contact sports are going to have to change. Might as well stay positive about trying to figure out a solution.

Really?? I doubt it. No-one is forcing him to play or not to play. The decision is his and he knew the risks of playing rugby and he knew the restrictions of what he could and couldn't wear when he signed his contract. The rules or laws of the game aren't too hard to find.

BB isn't the first person who has had to make this decision and I'm sure he won't be the last. Sueing because you're not allowed to wear ridiculous head gear that is solely in your own benefit is a joke.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Scarfman - I think you'll find that BB has agreed to play by the IRB rules regulations etc by virtue of a contract or something else he has signed.
In the end of the day if the ARU thinks BB istoo much trouble, then they just wont pick him, surely?
As mentioned in the report quoted above in Jets post, extra padding made no real difference to concussion propensity.
Even if BB was able to wear boxing type headgear, it is unlikely to help him to any great degree.
Eg we see plenty of amateur boxers getting knocked out with headgear and 12oz gloves

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
There would have to be evidence that the head gear will actually do something before he could have an action for having it denied

That is the issue for me, they (the ARU/IRB/even the NRL) need to fund a study to find out if anything will actually work to reduce the chance concussion.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
I'll just say this - the status quo has changed as far as concussion goes. We now have new scientific evidence about long term damage. You can choose to laugh it off or start working towards solutions.

Status
Not open for further replies.