• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Headgear?

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Barnes pushes lawmakers on boxing headgear
Jamie Pandaram
June 2, 2011

"I want to play a bit longer and look after my own health" ...Berrick Barnes models boxing headgear at training in Sydney.

"I want to play a bit longer and look after my own health" ...Berrick Barnes models boxing headgear at training in Sydney. Photo: Getty Images

DURBAN: Berrick Barnes will explore the possibility of challenging the IRB's regulations on headgear and designing a more protective piece following his series of head injuries.

The Waratahs and Wallabies playmaker has suffered concussions and footballer's migraine throughout his career despite wearing headgear approved by the game's lawmakers. Barnes had wanted to wear a boxing-style headgear in his return from concussion against Melbourne Rebels in April but was not allowed under the IRB's guidelines on protective items.

''Trying to do a headgear that will put more protection around the back of the head and the temple to hopefully protect that sort of thing, it would be something to look at I reckon,'' Barnes told the Herald. ''I want to play a bit longer and look after my own health too so I'm trying to work out the best way to do it.''
Advertisement: Story continues below

The IRB guidelines state: ''A player may wear headgear made of soft and thin materials provided that no part of the headgear is thicker than 1cm when uncompressed and no part of the headgear has a density of more than 45 kilograms per cubic metre.''

But through experience, Barnes is aware that one centimetre does not offer much protection, and believes he can create a better model with his sponsor Gilbert - who already produce 10 IRB-approved headgears.

''There's been no stats proven to show that headgear actually prevents concussion. It prevents head cuts and cauliflower ears, but whether from a genuine knock to the head that padding does anything? You look at boxing and the extra thickness in padding, I don't see too many amateur boxers getting knocked out in a fight,'' Barnes said.

''I'm not getting knocked with someone hitting me face to face, I'm getting knocked out by getting hit in the back of the head, and on the temple, and something triggers and it sends me over. Jaw you can't do anything about, but my issue is trying to protect the temple and the back parts of your head. It's something to look at and design, it's probably not going to be the most aesthetically pleasing thing, but it would be something worth looking at.''

The IRB would need to modify its laws before Barnes could start designing a more functional headgear, but given the alarming research results from the United States on the long-term affects of concussion on footballers, it is a timely consideration.

Barnes was ruled out of last week's match against the Sharks after being diagnosed with footballer's migraine by his neurologist, John Watson, who also treated the player after two heavy concussions earlier this season. Footballer's migraine is said to have no long-term effects on the brain. Barnes suffered memory loss after taking a hit to the back of the head against the Lions in Sydney a fortnight ago, but that was attributed to ''transient global amnesia'', which coincided with the migraine. The amnesia also has no long-term effects. Barnes is more susceptible to both when he takes a knock to the head after more than 60 minutes of exercise.

''Whether it's a case of me fatiguing and then a knock on the head seems to trigger that thing … it's not because I get more symptoms at that stage [60 minutes], I don't get any,'' he said. ''I played against the Rebels, Force, and up until I got hit against the Lions I was fine. Hopefully I don't get any more of them, but the track record ain't going too great at the moment. I don't remember getting hit, I don't remember coming off … I seem to lose all form of memory function when it happens. But you come good pretty quickly, I came good a lot quicker than after the Reds and Brumbies [concussions].''

Barnes, who starts at inside-centre against the Bulls at Loftus Versfeld, added: ''I understand that footy is not a forever thing, I don't want to be affecting the forever part in any adverse sense.''

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ng-headgear-20110601-1fgop.html#ixzz1O4YUetfx

Interesting to see that the head gear hasn't been proved to do anything in limiting concussions. I wonder if they give a false sense of security.

The last guy who was having issues was Flatley, again with headgear.

Dunno the answer, but interesting

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Samo reckons that part of the reason for the fro is to prevent concussions. Has said he had issues a few years back so stopped cutting his hair.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Samo reckons that part of the reason for the fro is to prevent concussions. Has said he had issues a few years back so stopped cutting his hair.

I have a lucky tee I use at golf too, and some magic beans somewhere Radike might be interested in. ;)
I seriously doubt the deceleration-retarding capacity of a bit of hair.
He looks the goods though.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
There's been a few other threads in relation to this this year, but Barnes does raise an interesting point about the back of the head, which is less padded in most headgear designs, where the laces are.

The point about the comparison to boxing is also interesting. I would think the most dangerous collisions in rugby are more damaging than boxing, given the amount of energy involved in the impact between a head and an elbow, shoulder or knee that has the full momentum of a running player behind it. But then rugby would involve a lot less "low-level" head impacts than boxing - or American football, for that matter, where a running back or linebacker is expected to lead with his head.

I hope Barnes' experience forces rugby to stay at the front in terms of addressing head injuries - some of the collisions involving heads that I see in AFL and league make me cringe.

Rob42

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I have a lucky tee I use at golf too, and some magic beans somewhere Radike might be interested in. ;)
I seriously doubt the deceleration-retarding capacity of a bit of hair.
He looks the goods though.

Samo should talk to Tatafu about the 'fro's ability to stop concussions...

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
A bit of trivia on boxing, before boxing gloves (ie bare knuckle fighting) there was very few head injuries because they wouldn't punch the head because is was hard and broke hands.

With the gloves, the hands are protected so they can whale on the head in safety.

I love the law of unintended consequences.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Headgear was never intended to prevent concussion. Concussion is caused by the brain accelerating inside the head and banging inside the skull.
No headgear would stop that other than a crash helmet.
At this stage IRB regs prevent anything other than 10mm padding, even going to 20mm as in league wouldnt make any diff

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Here's a possible reason to wear it - to prevent things like this...
scaled.php

darkhorse

Darby Loudon (17)
I can't see the issue with the extending the thickness allowed for headgear. It's unlikely to be dangerous to other players, so why not?

Headgear does have a protective effect. Noone claims that it will prevent you from getting concussions, however it will limit the severity of them. To what degree that is where it gets murky, but IMO they have value.

Scarfman

Knitter of the Scarf
BJ - that must have hurt - he's crying blood. I think I can see his brain.

Barnes's suggestion of amateur boxing padding is not bad. Maybe halfway between current padding and that. Thick and softish, it might reduce the collision impact.

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
I can't see the issue with the extending the thickness allowed for headgear. It's unlikely to be dangerous to other players, so why not?

Headgear does have a protective effect. Noone claims that it will prevent you from getting concussions, however it will limit the severity of them. To what degree that is where it gets murky, but IMO they have value.

Well- imagine that all 6 front rowers have headgear on - and the IRB have allowed increased to say 25mm padding - that would equate to 4 players' heads having extra 25mm room each side = 200mm space needed - I think this would affect scrummaging & binding adversly.

HodgoBerro

Bill Watson (15)
Yes I do have the same headgear as BB. I was aware when I bought it, it wouldn't prevent concussions. I bought it to prevent headcuts and the like (being female) also I'm a forward and a flanker who abuses the rucking rule.

I shotgun for guinea pig.

jay-c

Ron Walden (29)
im all for it>> i cant think how extra protection around a players head could possibly increase risk for another player(considering what they are made of) so why not?

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Actually I dont think there is anything in the LOTG about wearing 2 headguards.
maybe he could wear a size medium and a size large over the top of it !!

R

Rev Spooner

Where does it stop though? the same thing seems to be happening with shoulder pads - they seem to be getting bigger and bigger - look at Bryan Habana

BH.jpg

Top Bloke

Ward Prentice (10)
Where does it stop though? the same thing seems to be happening with shoulder pads - they seem to be getting bigger and bigger - look at Bryan Habana QUOTE]

Same IRB regs apply to Shoulder pads - max of 10mm padding - its up to the refs to regulate this, seems they arent too bothered judging by your pic

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Also, why is habana allowed to wear skins under his jersey? And what does he need them for anyway?Preventing the lactic acid build up in his elbows from repeatedly lifting his massive padded torso off the floor?

Status
Not open for further replies.