• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

George Smith - Will / Should He Play Against The Lions?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Fari enough. But my point was that you have to be careful when you a bending the rules, or you just might shoot yourself in the foot..

You should always ensure that your rules are not loaded before cleaning or bending them to avoid this scenario.

On a serious note I find this debate fascinating. One part of me wants to see all the best players involved in the Lions tests as to me that's the most important thing about the Lions. The other part completely understands why people don't want to see the rules bent for GS as once the euphoria or disappointment (depending on how the series goes) dissipates then the ARU have to deal with the fallout of the precedence they've set.

Also I can't help wondering if some people's attitudes will change should either Hooper or Gill suffer a season ending injury between now and the first test. I hope that this scenario doesn't happen, but fate has a strange sense of humour.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Also I can't help wondering if some people's attitudes will change should either Hooper or Gill suffer a season ending injury between now and the first test. I hope that this scenario doesn't happen, but fate has a strange sense of humour.
Mine won't, because I think he should be considered for selection based solely on the fact that he is currently playing super rugby for an Australian team. Nothing to do with sentimentality or past glories or necessity.

As I said on a previous post, I would go with Hooper and Gill because they are the future, but if they were both injured, I would have no problem with Smith.

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
Actually Smith didn't take half a year off. He stormed off to France 6 months into a 2 year contract because Deans put him on the bench. There are many who are concerned he may do the same during the Lions tour if he is picked and doesn't get the starting spot. I wouldn't risk that sort of disruption. Give the lollies to the kids who honour their ARU contracts.

Stormed off?

People are concerned that George Smith might 'storm off' in the middle of his 2nd Lions tour because he may not make the starting side?

You are kidding me?

A man deciding his time had come because he was missing his children grow up, and had felt that way for 18 months, hanging on for 18 months until his replacement was ready (having schooled said replacement himself over a couple of Wallaby seasons) and then calling it quits after 110 tests to spend time with his family, is "storming off" ??????

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
I must admit that this is the first I've ever heard of the "storming off" theory. I don't recall it being mentioned at the time or subsequently. I've always thought him to be quite a humble and self-effacing man.

Rassie

Trevor Allan (34)
That's just it Rassie. It does work for us and has for years. If they start making exemptions they diminish the integrity of the policy and it ceases to work well. This is the danger the ARU face right now.
I would never suggest handing out test caps; that's not how it works. But if they have wallaby aspirations they know they must stay in Aus.
True. For Australian Australian guys that lure will work but for young Pacific Islanders they would rather go to Europe or NZ and imitate one of their heroes> Michael Jones are responsible for thousands of Pacific Island kids wanting to play for the All Blacks

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Actually Smith didn't take half a year off. He stormed off to France 6 months into a 2 year contract because Deans put him on the bench. There are many who are concerned he may do the same during the Lions tour if he is picked and doesn't get the starting spot. I wouldn't risk that sort of disruption. Give the lollies to the kids who honour their ARU contracts.

What utter rubbish..........

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
God the world is fucked today. Everyone wants to be a lawyer and show how clever they are by trumping each other in contractual law.

The undeniable fact is:
George smith is playing super rugby and will be contracted to a super side while the lions series is on.

If that's not good enough for you but Rocky rolling back into town and being made Captain is, your some sort of Sadomasochist.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The undeniable fact is actually the ARU requires you have to contract with them to play for the national side. Smith does not so there needs to be an exception rule in place for him if he was to play.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
No-one has yet answered my question about Smith filling out an ARU registration form. As far as I know, this must be done before playing rugby at any level in Australia. Having filled one out, would he not be contracted to the ARU and have the same right to represent as any other player playing in Australia?

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
No-one has yet answered my question about Smith filling out an ARU registration form. As far as I know, this must be done before playing rugby at any level in Australia. Having filled one out, would he not be contracted to the ARU and have the same right to represent as any other player playing in Australia?
I don't think registered = contracted, but I'm not a bush lawyer.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Once again.. you don't need to be contracted to play for Australia, that's just a rule the ARU have. If they wanted him to play he could by breaking that rule. Whether they want to break that rule is the important question.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Once again.. you don't need to be contracted to play for Australia, that's just a rule the ARU have. If they wanted him to play he could by breaking that rule. Whether they want to break that rule is the important question.

Who covers his insurance? Who pays for his match fee? etc if he is to play. That all has to be done by some sort of contract with the ARU, which for those currently contracted is all sorted.

His Suntory contract I would hazard a guess would not have that in it, because it would not have been contemplated during negotiations as it was not a possibility under the current ARU processes.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Match fees aren't in contracts, not sure on insurance but you don't need a national contract to play, does Mike Phillips have a Welsh contract?

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Anyone still banging on about Smith's ineligibility for the Wallabies might want to watch the post game interview with Robbie Deans - He is essentially contracted with the ARU and is playing in Australia.

From my take on that situation, Robbie is happy to have George on side, pending the contractual bullshit that we have to put up with. Mind you, this is Robbiespeak.

I will say this again, mountains/molehills.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
At the press conference last night George Smith advised that he does not have clearance from Suntory to play for the Wallabies.

He specifically stated that the clearance received last week only allows him to play for the Brumbies, not the Wallabies.

He went on to say that he has not been asked by the ARU if he wants to play for the Wallabies but if asked would not turn down the offer. He went on to say that if the ARU want him to play they will have to seek a further clearance from Suntory, again confirming that the clearance received last week does not allow him to play for the Wallabies.

Scott Allen

Trevor Allan (34)
Anyone still banging on about Smith's ineligibility for the Wallabies might want to watch the post game interview with Robbie Deans - He is essentially contracted with the ARU and is playing in Australia.

From my take on that situation, Robbie is happy to have George on side, pending the contractual bullshit that we have to put up with. Mind you, this is Robbiespeak.

I will say this again, mountains/molehills.

Not so, George Smith contradicted this completely in the press conference last night. He is not contracted by the ARU and has no clearance to play for the Wallabies - refer to my post above this.

Deans is, once again, confused and Smith confirmed he has not even spoken to Deans.

BDA

Jim Lenehan (48)
Deans confirmed last night he'll be approaching smith to play and if Smith wants to i assume theyll cut through whatever red tape exists

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
Mine won't, because I think he should be considered for selection based solely on the fact that he is currently playing super rugby for an Australian team. Nothing to do with sentimentality or past glories or necessity.

As I said on a previous post, I would go with Hooper and Gill because they are the future, but if they were both injured, I would have no problem with Smith.

I agree Quick Hands, however, if they are both injured then pick another S15 player, not a "temporary import"!

Status
Not open for further replies.