• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Genia to the Force?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
IN a move that could re-shape the balance of power in Australian rugby, Wallabies halfback Will Genia is likely to leave the Queensland Reds to join the Western Force for next year's Super Rugby competition.
And if Genia heads west, it is almost certain Force captain and openside flanker David Pocock will resist an approach from the Brumbies and remain in Perth.
While Genia is yet to make up his mind, it is understood he is leaning heavily towards the Force.
Regarded as the world's best halfback, Genia has been at the Reds since making his Super Rugby debut against the Hurricanes in 2007 and was instrumental in Queensland winning its maiden Super title last year.
But it is understood Genia's friendship with Pocock and the prospect of undertaking a new challenge are influencing him to cross the Nullarbor.
Since the enforced departure of former Force coach Richard Graham, who will coach the Reds next year, Pocock has assumed a key role in the recruitment of coaches and players in Perth. It is understood Pocock has been relentless in his efforts to persuade Genia to join him in the west.

A Pocock-Genia leadership team in Perth would be a massive boost for the Force.
The Reds' salary cap restrictions could be another factor in Genia's decision.
After winning the title, almost every Reds player coming off contract is demanding an upgrade.
The Reds have three marquee players on their roster -- Genia, five-eighth Quade Cooper and captain and second-rower James Horwill. It is difficult to see the Reds fitting all three under the salary cap, but it is not impossible.
Conversely, with veteran lock Nathan Sharpe retiring, the Force does not have quite the same level of salary cap constraints. And in another clue that Genia may be on the move, the Force is believed to have ended negotiations with a Scottish halfback, indicating it is about to secure another prominent No 9. But if the Force fails to lure Genia, the result could be disastrous for the team as it would probably lose Pocock.
Brumbies coach Jake White has approached Pocock and he has indicated he is prepared to listen to what he has to say.
Pocock will be far more attentive to White's presentation of the Brumbies' case if Genia decides to stay in Brisbane. But as it stands at the moment, White's words will be falling on deaf ears.

Article written by Brett Harris in the Australian today, so perhaps carries some weight. Would definitely change the balance of power.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Am sure Genia would want to know who would be the new coach for the Force before signing the dotted line...perhaps Pocock? There's no end to his (Pocock) superman abilities... :)

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
Genia showed last night that he is worth chasing, but the price tag is going to be all important. The good thing for the Reds is that Frisby is getting a lot of valuable game time this year, regardless of the fact that a lot of it is not at halfback, and with Lucas in the stable, the Reds will still have some decent firepower at 9 if Sanchez should go.

It is obviously preferable if he stays.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
My concern is if Sanchez goes so will QC (Quade Cooper). One leaving is a huge loss, both leaving is a disaster :(

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
First thing I thought when I saw this thread was that someone was trying to get a better deals at the Reds. Doesn't mean they wont call his bluff on it. This year Genia's been pretty unconvincing but he's still a class act. He would be a good capture for the Force.

Whoever has him next year still has some coaching work to do before he can claim the billing from the article as the best half back in the world. 1st on my list would be his box kick which is like a scatter gun. Still there aren't many half backs in world rugby who are better than him on top form and any team would be happy to have him in their ranks.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Genia hasn't been the same since the world cup started. Someone stated on another thread that QC (Quade Cooper) made Genia like Larkham made greegan and I'm nit sure there wrong. While he is definate class and the best we have to offer in this country I'm nit sure he is the "worlds best" as the article suggests. If the force are to sign him I just hope they have covered 10 first with more than a stopgap solution.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
Whilst most of this season I would have agreed, after last night's game (hopefully) he is coming back into form :) IMHO last year Sanchez gave QC (Quade Cooper) the opportunity to shine, mainly cos the pigs gave WG the room. Complete flow-on effect.

Status
Not open for further replies.