• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Foreign recruitment

Status
Not open for further replies.

blues recovery

Billy Sheehan (19)
What we're probably doing here is developing a player for new Zealand.

Sent using Tapatalk
What else would you expect him to say in a NZ paper , ( I cant wait to pull on the Gold jersey ).
If the Rebels do their job properley and he is the player we expect him to be, dont expect him to be heading back to NZ .

A

AlexH

Name one foreign player Australia has actively recruited? We have a few players who were born overseas but who has come to this country on the behest of the ARU to play rugby and become eligible for the wallabies.

Ewen actively recruited Harris. BAM.

A

AlexH

The figure of kiwis moving to Australia annually is actually 55'000, with a net loss of 39'000(subtracting those who move home).

Why on earth would you move back to New Zealand? Must've been deported.

You can understand why they would be deported though. We don't want to saturate the labour market with forklift drivers.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't dispute that point but he was vying for a New Zealand Super Rugby contract when Ewen approached him.

The Reds approached him because he counted as Australian on their roster, not because they had grand ideas of him playing Wallabies.

Him playing Wallabies was just how the cards fell, nobody from the ARU planned it.

T

TOCC

Yes, but he wasn't recruited by the Wallabies in essence... It's not as though the ARU were the ones driving the recruitment, it was the Reds who wanted him for the provincial level.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Name one foreign player Australia has actively recruited? We have a few players who were born overseas but who has come to this country on the behest of the ARU to play rugby and become eligible for the wallabies.

Not exactly Australia but Jake White bringing over the SA lock.

A

AlexH

The Reds approached him because he counted as Australian on their roster, not because they had grand ideas of him playing Wallabies.

Him playing Wallabies was just how the cards fell, nobody from the ARU planned it.

Still an Aussie team poaching a Kiwi player.

T

TOCC

I think we are diving into the semantics of the issue here... To get to the end of the topic, we can agree on the following points:

-Harris was recruited by an Aussie team..
-Harris was not poached by the ARU for the purpose of playing for the Wallabies...

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Still an Aussie team poaching a Kiwi player.

Not at all, poaching implies he was stolen for starters. There is literally no non-cooking based definition that doesn't use a word like 'stolen' or 'illegally' taken.

Mike Harris came very willingly and nobody in NZ complained (at least nobody in a position of influence). He was surplus to the Blues, and indeed NZ Super Rugby's requirements. He has said himself he was simply not offered a job in his home nation.

A much closer example of 'poaching' is what Glasgow did to SA's Josh Strauss, a player who could have easily got a Super Rugby contract and previously had one. This was all done with the intention to have him play for Scotland in time.

I however, do not even consider this poaching as it is always the player who signs off on the plans, nobody makes him.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I think we are diving into the semantics if the issue here. To get to the end of the topic, we can agree on the following points:

-Harris was recruited by an Aussie team..
-Harris was not poached by the ARU for the purpose of playing for the Wallabies.

Add the fact that it was not the case of an Aussie team outbidding a Kiwi side, they were the only Super Rugby side in the game. Only the Reds wanted him.

T

TOCC

If we want an example of poaching by the ARU then we need to look back to Tuqiri and Sailor

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Add the fact that it was not the case of an Aussie team outbidding a Kiwi side, they were the only Super Rugby side in the game. Only the Reds wanted him.

The Force wanted him too. We put in an offer. He knocked it back to hold out for a spot with the Blues. That didn't come up so he signed with the Reds.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
Does anyone actually think that Harris would be playing for the All Blacks atm had he not been forced to look for an opportunity in aus? I certainly don't. He'd be way down the pecking order. I bet you Hansen wouldn't use him if he had him available tomorrow. It's akin to a child not wanting to play with a toy, until another child picks it up. It's petty.

T

TOCC

Given the current selection tendencies and depth of players on hand for Hansen i don't think Harris would be in the current All Blacks squad.

However if the All Blacks suffered a similar number of injuries as the Wallabies have suffered in key positions through 2012 i don't think its unrealistic to hypothesise that Harris may have made the AB's squad.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
He was being a sore loser, it had nothing to do with Harris possibly playing for the ABs.

Hansen knew we won the game on our goal kicker so he took a jibe at our goal kicker, if the ABs won from the Carter drop goal we would've heard nothing about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.