• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Force vs B&I Lions - Wed. 5 Jun

Status
Not open for further replies.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
enjoyed the atmosphere last night,but forgot how bad Subi is for viewing rugby.We were so far from the action that you needed binoculars--even the screen was the size of a postage stamp
Force forwards toiled well & held their own,poor lineout throwing let them down.Backs were often out of position & poor tackling cost the side dearly.
Lions backs showed their class & will be difficult to contain

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
I enjoyed the game. Sure it was a bit of a walk over at times, but there was a period where the force got their tails up and looked to hammer a few lions (Hodgson timed a cracking tackle on SOB). The force defensive systems were too narrow and there was no cohesion, so tries started to come too easily.

Hard to tell how well the lions did, but I was impressed by Heaslip and Vunipolo, a guy I'd not seen much of. Carried well. I thought Healy was found a bit short frankly; got dusted in a couple of scrums v Manu and Ma'afu of all people. 1/2p's goal kicking was sublime though

hawktrain

Ted Thorn (20)
Watched the first half of the replay - O'Brien has been the standout Lion for me so far, he's having an excellent running game. Connor Murray and Sexton looking very much in control too, and Tuilagi has developed his game ala Nonu (being able to pass etc) more than he gets credit for.

Also, to whoever runs the PA at Subiaco, playing 'Ho Hey' by The Lumineers during every break in play wasn't your best choice. Great song, but nowhere near footy enough for a Lions game!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I though Brown, Hodgson and Stubbs were all excellent.

I believe we were probably Kyle Godwin and Heath Tessman away from keeping it within 15 points. Godwin would have fixed the backline defence and Tessman would have given us the opportunity to pressure them on their line.

Wales Fan

Alfred Walker (16)
From a Lions perspective:

Healy: Was going well until he got injured, not sure he has much answer with the citing, looked like Sheehan tried to elbow him and his finger has ended up in his mouth. Johan Muller got a similar citing and got off last season
Best: Missed a big oppurtunity to lay down a stake in the test team. Didn't produce anywhere near his best in the loose. His lineout throwing was straight but it looked like the jumpers were out of sync
Cole: Decent but not outstanding, Adam Jones still well ahead for the test jumper
Jones, Evans: Bit of a meh performance from both locks, thought AWJ could have been one of the tours stars but hasn't started well
Croft: Did his usual trick of standing out wide and got rewarded with a try, the one time he tried to do the work of a 6 he got knocked out. Far from a test match animal and a luxury at this level
SOB: Didn't make much of an impression at the breakdown but did his usual fair share of carrying. Should be in the front running for the test 6 jersey but i think he'll be on the bench
Heaslip: Lions MOM, some really good carries, good defence and finished his try nicely. Made a decent impression at the breakdown but it didn't affect his carrying game.
Murray: Another missed oppurtuntity. Box kicks were always about 10 metres too long, picked the wrong option a couple of times, carried a bit too much. Looked like he was trying too hard to be Mike Phillips, needs to concentrate on his own game
Sexton: Looked in control the whole game. Played some nice rugby, Lions are fucked if he gets injured
North: Looked busy on his wing, came in for some really good carries. Hopefully he can develop more of an understanding with Sexton as they could dovetail well together
Manu: Played well but didn't have the impact Roberts had, that said he was dealing with a more organised and more committed defence.
BOD: Finished well, defended well, even managed to get AWJ yellow carded for his breakdown work. Ruchie McCaw would be proud
Bowe: Showed some lovely touches early on, brings a bit of nous that Cuthbert doesn't should be ahead of him in the running now
Halfpenny: Kicked well made zero impression in the loose. That would be enough for Gatland but the Lions need more of an attacking edge from their fullback a robotic kicking leg isn't enough.

The bench was emptied late on, Vunipola aside who was decent, no one really made an impression

Agree with majority of that, excellent summary of the Lions.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 2

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
What. They have mckibben, foley, Crawford, Betham and Mitchell. 4 of those have been starting very regularly or the tahs.

Foley is away with the 7s.

Robinson, TPN, Kepu, Timani, Douglas, Dennis, Hooper, Palu, Lucas, Foley, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau, Barnes

14 if you have Lucas over McKibbin.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
This is not true. I remember when the emerging Springboks drew with the BILs in 2009. I also remember how my team (Natal Sharks) were embarrassing in their 39 - 3 loss. I also remember with horror how two, read that, two English club sides beat the Springbok midweek team in a tour a few years ago. I bet the club sides remember it even more.

Midweek games have history. They are a chance to make history. If my team was in a position for a place in the play offs, I would be ok with playing a weakened team, but otherwise no.

Having said that, the teams that beat the Springbok As were slightly weakened club sides.

I will go with Ensign Pulver on this - If the B&I Lions wanted to avoid all the fixture issues they would tour in July - they won't... Look, lets get some perspective;
1. regardless, someone needs to answer from the ARU regarding (for instance) the recent Force by not being this Saturday instead.

2. In and ideal world, I would like to see the wallabies play the midweek games as well as the Saturday Games - in the professional era, they just can't.

3. This Tour has been in the planning for years - BOTH sides knew when they signed on, that the Super 15 Fixtures would be an issue.

3. The Lions management COULD have required some undertaking from the ARU in regards to the content of the Provincial Teams to play the Wednesday & Saturday Teams - they didn't. There is precendent for this - as the ARU has had to seek undertakings from the SARU regarding the make-up of the Springbok sides they send to Australia (as opposed to the one's they field at home) - due to significant financial losses in recent years on these games.

4. Many people involved in the Lions make their living in Rugby - and were WELL AWARE of the various pitfalls relating to fixtures - and juggling players, before the deals were signed. This tour is not fundamentally different to previous tours - as Jenkins of the ARU stated; "It was also the case in 2001 that Test players were stood down from a number of the provincial matches. Similarly, these sorts of claims do not take into account that the depth of Australian rugby has increased considerably in the past 12 years. In 2001, we had three Super Rugby teams and a pool of professional players that would not have topped 100. In 2013, we have five Super Rugby teams and approximately 175 players on professional contracts."

The difference in Australia is that - that is it!... In NZ & SA there are likely a couple of teams more of players who are uncontracted. Boks & ABs get held back on Lions Tours too - there is simply greater depth available to fill the gaps.

My point is that they knew what they were getting into, and to bleat now is disengenuous - actually, its as weak as piss.

Someone mentioned that Provincial teams used to think it was their job to 'soften up' the touring teams, and knock em about - fine, but the players they utilised to do this were frequently not, if ever, internationals -& often they were club players stepping up to do a job on the day.

I personally still think a couple of wallabies should be released for each and every provincial game (from the squad), but i can understand this not being risked - (so can woodward, so can mc geechan) - but based on this whinging, I now hope beyond logic that the Wallabies smash them 3-dot - and they go home comforted by the fact that these 'understrength' games were the only ones they proved capable of winning...

Still, we are going to miss Higgers, Pokcock and Ione specifically, given the hard running loose 3 and wings, seen so far... I would say this looks like the most 'intellegent' backline i have seen from Britain or Ireland in my life.

JSRF10

Dick Tooth (41)
In fairness the Lions aren't going to stop touring any of the big 3 they are too much of a money spinner, and why would the hosts want to get the tourists battled hardened anyways? I can see both points of view sure but put it this way if the Lions toured Ireland I would't want them facing any Ireland players let alone perspective Irish players let tourists play guys who, although they'll give 110%, they smash it'll give them a sense of false perspective etc etc. Look how the Boks came from under the radar in 09.

Put it this way in 50 years will people be talking about the warm ups, no they'll be talking about the test results you've got to make it as hard for the tourists as possible. As Ian McGeehan said "We aren't here to make friends, I don't care about that, we're here to win test matches", I'm sure there is an Aussie quote to match this as well

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Foley is away with the 7s.

Robinson, TPN, Kepu, Timani, Douglas, Dennis, Hooper, Palu, Lucas, Foley, Horne, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Folau, Barnes

14 if you have Lucas over McKibbin.
Foley is playing this weekend and then going? I think McKibbin, Crawford, drew, Betham, Kingston minus 5/8 is a decent backline. Shoes the depth of the tahs ATM.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I have to agree with you. The game is over, and I have said my piece...

I am just in no mood to listen to the bitching and whinging from the B&I Camp, when they have known about it for ages - and they know they would be doing exactly the same thing, in the same position...

And, can the Australian Press please refrain from referring to the d***head woodward as 'sir'? we don't have that kind of crap in Oz any more... He can be the bloody 'Queen' in England if he wants to - no need to recognise it here.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
I enjoyed the game last night.

I thought the Force put in a good effort and the Lions were good in patches. Their execution let them down but they put on some slick moves and scored some solid tries. The forward pack weren't as dominant as I expected except for Heaslip who was just immense. Vunipola was excellent when he came on.

Whilst the Force would have no doubt been better with a couple more of their first choice players, I think we're talking about getting beaten by 30 rather than 50. All in all it wouldn't have made that much difference to to the flow of the game in my opinion.

For the Force, I thought Sam Norton-Knight was superb in defence. I had no idea he could tackle so well.

Ed Stubbs showed some flashes of quality and I thought both wingers were good. DHP in particular was really solid. He'll be good for the Force next year.

In the forwards, Hodgson was superb and Cottrell was good.
I enjoyed it too, though I'm not sure why.
When I had a quick peek at the mungoes both kids yelled put it back on the lions.
That's my bit for the future popularity of oz rugby!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Craig Riddington

Sydney Middleton (9)
I have to agree with you. The game is over, and I have said my piece.

I am just in no mood to listen to the bitching and whinging from the B&I Camp, when they have known about it for ages - and they know they would be doing exactly the same thing, in the same position.

And, can the Australian Press please refrain from referring to the d***head woodward as 'sir'? we don't have that kind of crap in Oz any more. He can be the bloody 'Queen' in England if he wants to - no need to recognise it here.
You make some really good points HW&C. I also believe that the ARU didn't get the Super Rugby fixtures they wanted to accommodate the tour as NZ&SA had different ideas. But whatever the rights and wrongs of it all and who's to blame, it has resulted in a media disaster for the Force and their sponsors, Emirates. It was a golden opportunity to show case the Lions, the Force and rugby, and on the same night as Origin as well!
I'd also be really pissed if I was Kyle Godwin because not only was it a chance to test himself against the Lions but a good performance might have put him in line for the Wallabies squad.
Let's not get wound-up by the likes of Woodward or confuse them for a spokesperson of the Lions camp (or anyone else), he's just doing his bit to sell news papers by being a twat.

Status
Not open for further replies.