• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Force v Tahs, round 9 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Moono75

It's just a much lower percentage play and the downside for dropping it is worse than in AFL.

You are also not competing with someone who is just trying to stop you from catching it by punching it.

Even still the basic skills for taking the high ball in rugby are pretty poor, even when there is only minor contact or the anticipation of contact. I could see some major benefits to the Force with some cross training with the Eagles or Dockers (that's AFL guys) over here.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The whole Christ Church School should be given free or severely subsidised tickets to fill the stadium, and to drag some parents along.

ShtinaTina

Alex Ross (28)
I know of a father (aside from inside shoulder) going over to see his son play for Sydney Grammar in the curtain raiser too, there'll be a few Sydney parents at least.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Couldn't find it so here it is
NSW Waratahs:
1. Benn Robinson (Eastwood),
2. Tatafu Polota Nau (Parramatta),
3. Sekope Kepu (Randwick),
4.Will Skelton (Sydney University),
5. Kane Douglas (Southern Districts),
6. Jacques Potgieter (Eastern Suburbs),
7. Michael Hooper (Manly),
8. Dave Dennis (Sydney University, captain),
9. Nick Phipps (Sydney University),
10. Bernard Foley (Sydney University),
11. Rob Horne (Sydney University),
12. Kurtley Beale (Randwick),
13. Adam Ashley-Cooper (Northern Suburbs),
14. Cam Crawford (Northern Suburbs),
15 Kurtley Beale (Randwick).

Replacements: 16. Tolu Latu (Sydney University), 17. Jeremy Tilse (Sydney University), 18. Paddy Ryan (Sydney University), 19. Stephen Hoiles (Randwick), 20. Pat McCutcheon (Sydney University), 21. Brendan McKibbin (Eastern Suburbs), 22 Jono Lance (Eastern Suburbs),23. Matt Carraro (Randwick).

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Slight segway but it would seem rugby still has some ways to go in Perth. My nephew (an avid footy fan) is in year 10 at Christ Church (not an enormous school) - he is aware that there is a sport at his school called rugby - he is not aware that his school is featuring in a curtain raiser to the Force Tahs game.

Yeah - i went looking on their website to see if it was in their calendar.
with a school name like that he should get along to the game they play in heaven!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Folau is definitely back at fullback despite Beale being named twice.

Sent from my HTC One XL using Tapatalk

Nipper

Ward Prentice (10)
Slight segway but it would seem rugby still has some ways to go in Perth. My nephew (an avid footy fan) is in year 10 at Christ Church (not an enormous school) - he is aware that there is a sport at his school called rugby - he is not aware that his school is featuring in a curtain raiser to the Force Tahs game.

Sounds like his school has a communication problem, rather than "rugby having a long way to go in Perth".

Richo

John Thornett (49)

Here's two: slight and full-bodied.

segwaymini_.jpg

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Even still the basic skills for taking the high ball in rugby are pretty poor, even when there is only minor contact or the anticipation of contact. I could see some major benefits to the Force with some cross training with the Eagles or Dockers (that's AFL guys) over here.

Because the ball is very different for a start - larger, rounder, harder to catch above your head in rugby, compared to an AFL ball.

Secondly, in AFL if you drop it, it doesn't matter what way you drop it. Hands above your head and the ball could go anywhere. In rugby / league, players leap and those with good technique turn their body so if they drop it, it's much more likely to go backwards.

Thirdly, as has been mentioned, you are not competing against someone trying to punch it. You are competing against another person trying to catch it with the same concerns as you - i.e. primarily not to knock on.

Finally, high balls in rugby are a small part of the game compared to AFL, which it's a major component. AFL teams will therefore spend a lot, lot, lot more time on marking practice, with a different ball to boot.

I'm not saying there's not some merit to working with an AFL kicking / catching coach, but bear in mind the techniques and aims of the game are different, as are the balls.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Sounds like his school has a communication problem, rather than "rugby having a long way to go in Perth".

Or maybe they think that rugby is not worth communicating? Either way, it's rugby's problem not the school's.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
Couldn't find it so here it is

Looks like Tala Grey has had a two week holiday in SA with a bit of aerobic training to keep him fit. Although Cheika said Grey would get game time I think this reflects how worried the Tahs are about this game.

What really worries me is that Growden says the Tahs will win by 50. Given the high esteem that I hold for the man's journalistic abilities, I'm more worried than before. :(

GaffaCHinO

Peter Sullivan (51)
2014 Asteron Life Super Rugby – Week Nine
Western Force v NSW Waratahs
‘Force Field’ (nib Stadium), Perth
Saturday, 12 April 2014
Kick-off: 5.40pm
1. Pek Cowan
2. Nathan Charles
3. Kieran Longbottom
4. Sam Wykes
5. Wilhelm Steenkamp
6. Angus Cottrell
7. Matt Hodgson (c)
8. Ben McCalman
9. Alby Mathewson
10. Sias Ebersohn
11. Nick Cummins
12. Kyle Godwin
13. Marcel Brache
14. Luke Morahan
15. Jayden Hayward
Reserves
16. Heath Tessmann
17. Tetera Faulkner
18. Oli Hoskins
19. Adam Coleman
20. Brynard Stander
21. Ian Prior
22. Zack Holmes
23. Chris Tuatara-Morrison*

* possible Astreron Life Super Rugby debut
http://www.westernforce.com.au/News...che-starts-as-Force-readies-for-Waratahs.aspx

Status
Not open for further replies.