• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Fantasy Super rugby 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.

hench

Johnnie Wallace (23)
Usually doesn't open until 2 weeks before the season starts but checked into pre-register last night and saw that it's open.

They have changed the Inside Backs position to a seperate Centres and Flyhalf positions.

I'll wait for one of the higher-ups around here to create the league and the H2H league as well.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I just created a league - code is 2262-3803.

I haven't gone through all the changes they have made yet, but they do have vice captains now. I'm predicting a brilliant season for The Last Hard Men!

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
But everyone is in the same boat, guess it just comes down to how you choose to manage it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The first rounds only have Aussie teams in them. this kind of fucks up Fantasy leagues.

It certainly makes it a challenge.

Out of your 23 players you can pick a maximum of 20 players who will actually be playing in round 1 (5 from each of 4 Aussie teams).

Presumably the plan is to pick 15 Aussies who are playing in round 1 and 8 players from teams with byes.

They are providing 6 transfers to use before week 2 (and 6 transfers after any of the three rounds where only one country's sides are playing).

It shouldn't be too bad.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. As BH suggests, the increased transfers will mitigate the rounds where only one country is playing. Generally it is difficult to select a form squad in the opening rounds anyway, as players ease back into the season.

Another strategy would be to use up your wildcard, if you are game. I will be trying to hold onto mine until the rounds surrounding the Lions tour though, but I would hazard a guess that plenty of people will be using theirs in the first few rounds.

Oh, and mods, maybe we should sticky this thread and rename it "Fantasy Super Rugby 2013' or similar. :)

Trajan

Allen Oxlade (6)
I just joined your league. Won it last year and looking forward to having a crack at double the prizemoney this season. Fixtures and showing some respect for your wildcard will be crucial this season. Hannibal at Cannae is ready to defend his title. Good luck everyone.

Trajan

Allen Oxlade (6)
Yeah, I'm not too worried about it. As BH suggests, the increased transfers will mitigate the rounds where only one country is playing. Generally it is difficult to select a form squad in the opening rounds anyway, as players ease back into the season.

Another strategy would be to use up your wildcard, if you are game. I will be trying to hold onto mine until the rounds surrounding the Lions tour though, but I would hazard a guess that plenty of people will be using theirs in the first few rounds.

Oh, and mods, maybe we should sticky this thread and rename it "Fantasy Super Rugby 2013' or similar. :)
You are dead on about the wildcard. If you blow it in the 1st month you are going to suffer come Rds. 17 and 18. Deans has stated he wants key wallaby players rested before the British Lions Tour. Thats bad news for us fantasy managers. How poor or otherwise the Southern Kings perform is another factor to consider.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
The Kings could be a wildcard in their own right! Many cheapies in their ranks picking the right one or two could pay huge dividends, it'll all come down to luck for most..... well, for me anyways.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
You are dead on about the wildcard. If you blow it in the 1st month you are going to suffer come Rds. 17 and 18. Deans has stated he wants key wallaby players rested before the British Lions Tour. Thats bad news for us fantasy managers. How poor or otherwise the Southern Kings perform is another factor to consider.

That is a good point about the Kings. I will be watching how some of their players score in the first few rounds to see if I can pick up a bargain or two. Even though they might get thrashed every week, there should possibly be one or two players that will score points consistently. Could be a similar situation to some of the Lions players that scored quite strongly last year.

Oh, and SFR - Bring it! :p

Trajan

Allen Oxlade (6)
That is a good point about the Kings. I will be watching how some of their players score in the first few rounds to see if I can pick up a bargain or two. Even though they might get thrashed every week, there should possibly be one or two players that will score points consistently. Could be a similar situation to some of the Lions players that scored quite strongly last year.

Oh, and SFR - Bring it! :p
That is what I'm looking for with the Kings. If they are a rabble and say playing the Chiefs in N.Z. load up on Chief players. Every week use some of your transfers for teams playing the Kings ( if their garbage ) Will not work every week but the percentages are there. Going on previous seasons the poorer South African teams provide stiff opposition at home but go to pieces overseas. I see the Southern Kings being no different and as you state, 1 or 2 bargains for your reserve bench probably a high work rate forward.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
I was just perusing the scoring format, and high workrate props who play more than 60 minutes per game will really pay dividends this year. A prop who plays 60+ minutes per game will be awarded 4 points, and each tackle they make will be worth 2, as opposed to 1 point for everyone else. So mobile props capable of seeing a game out are going to be gold.

Another interesting one is lineouts. Lineout spoilers are going to be go to guys when selecting second rowers. Every lineout steal will be worth 4 points to the player. And they have beefed up the points awarded for pilfers and ruck and maul turnovers. So it might be worth actually including a good 7 in the backrow this year.

As always accurate kickers are going to be rewarded. 2 points for each conversion, 3 points for each penalty goal, and 3 points for each drop goal. So being able to fit a couple of sharpshooters into your backline might be a good idea.

SouthernX

John Thornett (49)
Does anyone know where I can find a Super Rugby Fantasy league/site which does the traditional H2H drafting format?

The budget is fun on foxsports, But I loathe for a competition where me and 7 mates can sit down and draft out our own teams with only 1 Aaron Cruden & 1 Mike Harris in the competition.

Nothing beats finding sleepers in draft because this foxsports format sucks when in week 2 everyone is picking up a Brodie Beddelick of the Chiefs (because he is great value)

Would even be interested in making my own league and doing it offline but it would be a mammoth task which would involve googlespreadsheets and probably more time then I have to actually calculate scores (but any suggestions on how to run a offline league would be greatly appreciated)

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm undecided whether to do this again.........

Every year I start off strong, forget to make changes and then just lose interest.......

Robbie Coleman was a masterstroke in round one of 2011.........

Unfortunately the team name I was using "Honey Badgers" was later appropriated by Nick Cummins as a nickname........ I can only assume that Perth got the internet in 2012?

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
week1.png

Not much to do today so i got started. Most of these guys should be right but i am a bit worried if Frisby, Quird and Dellit will start.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Seems a big punt to go cheap on your hooker. Stephen Moore seems a hard player not to pick based on being the highest scorer in the entirety of Fantasy Rugby last year.

Moral of the story: a cheap hooker is never a good idea.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
Seems a big punt to go cheap on your hooker. Stephen Moore seems a hard player not to pick based on being the highest scorer in the entirety of Fantasy Rugby last year.

Moral of the story: a cheap hooker is never a good idea.

That's true, however I'm willing to take a gamble.

Status
Not open for further replies.