• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Ewen McKenzie: Wallaby Coach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Is he accountable for anything?
Very few see any improvement in any area since he took over.
Of course he is but the fact that you've never wanted him as wallaby coach taints anything you have to say on the matter. Maybe you should stop taking every opportunity to have a go at him and give it a rest for a few months,

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 4

RoffsChoice

Jim Lenehan (48)
I think there's accountability on both sides, I just question whether or not it's good for the team to keep saying (indirectly) to the players "You aren't good enough." It's the same sort of reasoning for not dropping a player after he plays brilliantly in my point of view.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I was critical of what I perceived was a flawed process in his appointment,not him.
I have made some comments about double standards from posters such as yourself,(your previous post was a good example) in regards to how much criticism the coach should bear.
I'm struggling to recall any posts critical of HIM,his tactics or his selections.
You are way off track suggesting I have mounted a campaign of some sorts against him.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
you have taken every chance you have got to have a go at him and you are still going. If you think that hiding behind what ever you think this is is fooling anyone then you are dreaming.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
And yet my only post that you bother to quote,you agreed with my point before commencing a personal diatribe!
Quote a couple of mine that you actually disagree with that supports your assertion next time.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
Of course he is but the fact that you've never wanted him as wallaby coach taints anything you have to say on the matter. Maybe you should stop taking every opportunity to have a go at him and give it a rest for a few months,

so should only comment on him if you wanted him for the job in the first place?

how long does link get before we can start judging him? Till we get smashed for the 10th time?

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Maybe I'm sick of reading the same crap over and over again. And you should probably look up the meaning of diatribe before you use it.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 4

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think he came in thinking the Queensland style would work at international level.
It doesn't.
I think most would agree that the previous methods did not work either.

I guess it depends what the "queensland" method involves, if it is picking younger less experienced players to get a longer term benefit instead of picking the same old guys who are past their prime or eternally injured then I guess we will have to wait and see if it works.

At the moment I think our problem is very simple to diagnose, we simply cant match our opponent in man to man skills. We just are not good enough. The All blacks are simply too good for us and we need to refocus on what we can achieve. I think our player can only expect to be 3rd or 4th best in the world. Our immediate goal should be to beat South Africa and once we can do that regularly we can dream about the all blacks.

louie

Desmond Connor (43)
I'm going off what you said and it was a honest question Sully, how long do you give him? I got sick of reading the same crap under Deans.

The last month or so we've seen some of the worst defeats in Australian Rugby's history. Just because he won a title with the Reds doesn't mean his decisions shouldn't be questioned.

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
It has been a very tough initiation for Link and unfortunately he has been without a recognised test backrow and with the Wallabies star player woefully out of form. He also had little time to work with his squad prior to this RC.
It is not fair to judge him on his first few tests in charge. Clearly it is proving to be a much harder gig than he imagined. Yes, his performance should be scrutinised, unlike the performance of his predecessor. However, he should be given until the EOYT to show his vision for the foreseeable future.
There are a few players not available through injury or eligibility that will be key in reshaping this Wallaby side. There are also a couple of up and comers that have not yet been given a chance.
He will either learn from his early mistakes or not.
Certain players are showing that they are still not up to performing well at this level. They need to go and the next generation should be ushered in.
It will be interesting to see his EOYT squad.

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Link's selection choices at the start set the time for these results.

All the progress Deans made with our scrum was made difficult when TPN got injured, leaving us short of a good backup for the Lions.

Throw in the questionable presence of Simmons and the tight five is already under pressure.

Add the complete ineptitude of Alexander during the Lions series... Well...

Then link came along and dropped Robinson. FFS. And dropped To'omua just when he started to look comfortable.

No Pocock. No Palu (never thought I'd say that after 2011). Genia playing like a busted arse. Beale injured. JOC (James O'Connor) a knob end. Pretty much all the Brumbies failing to back up their Super form.

There is hope, but for Link to say the players aren't smart enough, when he's picked a heap of QLDers, is a bit rich.

Muglair

Alfred Walker (16)
Hi, just writing from a parallel world over here.

We are suffering from injuries in 2013? Poor old Robbie could not use it as an excuse in 2012

Brumbies not up to S15 form? A team superbly executing a tight game plan since discredited by the ARU and certainly not aligned to the "expansive" Wallaby "Australian Way" game plan. Why would they be playing well (even if you assumed that successful S15 game plan could be used successfully against the Boks or All Blacks)?

So what is driving the selections? S15 form (is it relevant?) or an anti Waratah bias. I have absolutely no problem with a tight 5 including Robinson, Kepu and Timani, at least the scrum could hold itself up on its own ball.

Players not smart enough and not mature enough? He has coached quite a few of them for years, I just do not get this.

The aimless backline attack reminds me of another team he coached. But what has now happened to our defence?

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Link, and a few posters here, are rapidly realizing the challenges Robbie faced.

I think Link is starting to understand the reasons behind Dean's conservative game plan, play it close and there are less turnovers as the pigs are close.

Reactions: BPC

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
It's proving to be a tough initiation for McKenzie.

It's hard to see where we've made improvement in the five games since he's taken over.

Our forwards are getting demolished every week and there are still several questionable selections taking place. The rest of our forwards aren't good enough that they can carry a couple of players who are generally not making enough impact. Benn Robinson and Ben McCalman both improved our competitiveness at the scrum and in general play and they need more involvement.

The decision making of our players is almost non existant. White trying to hoof the ball downfield at every opportunity with no thought regarding where the kick should go or potentially working for a nother phase to find more space. We're turning down shots at goal in the first half acting like there's 10 minutes to go and we have to score tries. There's just no composure under pressure. The whole team are playing like headless chicken.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think the panic on the field is a manifestation of the panic off the field.
Very few expected Link to make an immediate 10-12 points a game improvement.but it would appear to me, that he is trying to demonstrate a huge change in a very short time.
We have had the grand pronouncement,we will play with width in an enterprising Aussie style.Lasted one game.
Then we have the horses for courses teams, which still contain certain favourites despite the plan for the day not suiting their style.
Then we have game plans like last week where the tactics are just way over done,and then changed completely at half time.its like we are the only side where the coach does not communicate to the troops at all,during the half.
IMO he needs to determine the style he wants the team to play,and to drill it into the troops.
He needs to live or die on one strategy thought through,and implemented consistently over a length of time.
For the players to have faith in a game plan,they need to believe the coach has the same faith in his plan.Changing heaps on a week to week basis is not helpful to building a stable base,which should be his first priority at this stage.

Status
Not open for further replies.