• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

England at the Rugby World Cup

Status
Not open for further replies.
U

undercoverkiwi

Can we run some sort of poll on which England player is the most over-hyped at the tournament? Courtenay Lawes seemed to have it sewn up before young Tuilagi hit the scene. Will be fascinating, I'm sure.

R

Richard D. James

I certainly hope Tuilagi doesn't play as well as the English press say he's going to play. The guy will be beating teams single-handedly!

The Australian press certainly wouldn't be talking up players like that......

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
Can we run some sort of poll on which England player is the most over-hyped at the tournament? Courtenay Lawes seemed to have it sewn up before young Tuilagi hit the scene. Will be fascinating, I'm sure.

Harsh. I think Lawes is a fantastic player with great potential.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)
I certainly hope Tuilagi doesn't play as well as the English press say he's going to play. The guy will be beating teams single-handedly!

The Australian press certainly wouldn't be talking up players like that......

Bwahahaahahaha.

Sorry. Took a moment to realise you're joking.

You are....right?

minorbird

Tom Lawton (22)
Difference is I don't think anyone in South Africa aside from P Diddy thinks Smit is their 3rd choice, let alone 1st choice hooker.

U

undercoverkiwi

Harsh. I think Lawes is a fantastic player with great potential.

He might be one day. But I've watched him fairly closely having had some England fans assure me he is amazing, and I'm yet to see it. And I have to say I can see him ending up on the enormous scrap-heap of England players tipped to rule the world and ended up getting nowhere. I just don't see an England test lock in him.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
This from ESPN

England lock Courtney Lawes has been cited for allegedly striking Argentina hooker Mario Ledesma with his knee, Rugby World Cup Ltd have announced.

Lawes will have to appear before a disciplinary panel in Auckland, to be chaired by independent judicial officer Terry Willis from Australia. The time and date of the hearing will be confirmed later on Monday. Lawes was cited by match disciplinary commissioner Murray Whyte for his challenge on Ledesma near the end of the first half.

The official RWCL statement read: "Courtney Lawes (England) has been cited for an alleged breach of Law 10.4(a) punching or striking (with the knee) during the Rugby World Cup 2011 Pool B match against Argentina on September 10."

England coach Martin Johnson said: "We have received notification of Courtney's citing. We will of course provide Rugby World Cup Ltd with any information required and attend the hearing as requested. There will be no further comment until after the hearing."

I'm picking that Lawes will get off as Quade got off because of the question of intent - not that the physical effect of QC (Quade Cooper)'s action was anything near equivalent.

As I mentioned in another thread: Lawes is a talented, athletic young player but he has spoiled his copybook a few times in my eyes in both club and international rugby with actions that are at best described as reckless, though the words cynical and grubby come to mind also.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
and so he should be cited, it looked bad real time and could have caused significant injury (whereas Quades just looked like a dirty little cheap shot). I reckon Quade deserved a games rest for his attempt, two wrongs don't make a right and I think Lawes will get 3-4 weeks.

A

antipodean

I'm picking that Lawes will get off as Quade got off because of the question of intent - not that the physical effect of QC (Quade Cooper)'s action was anything near equivalent.

As I mentioned in another thread: Lawes is a talented, athletic young player but he has spoiled his copybook a few times in my eyes in both club and international rugby with actions that are at best described as reckless, though the words cynical and grubby come to mind also.
Lawes appears to be sailing a little too close to the wind in his efforts to be an intimidating lock. If there's any consistency (ha!) in the process, he'll get off.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I'm liking that an Australian is on the panel judging an Englishmen on breaking the law. Ban him for the rest of the tournament Terry!

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

I think he will get suspended. I thought it was chalk and cheese compared to Quade Cooper in the 3N decider. Cooper made minimal contact as he was getting up which had no power and subsequently was never going to do any damage.

Lawes slid in with his knees at pace and made no attempt to make contact with anything but his knees. Ledesma was also in touch already. I think the fact that he slid in so recklessly and knocked the guy out cold will be looked at seriously. I will be very surprised if he doesn't miss a match or two.

J

Jumpers

The performance by England in their match against Argt was nothing short of Super rugby. Their forwards played exceptionally well and took the match to the Argt forwards and they managed to get their fair share of possession. We expected the Argt forwards to come out fiery and committed. Wat was the difference between the sides was Johnny Wilkinson but strangely he missed some easy penalties too!

I'm convinced England are ready to progress further and that they will improve and enhance their chances of success!!!

D

daz

The performance by England in their match against Argt was nothing short of Super rugby. Their forwards played exceptionally well and took the match to the Argt forwards and they managed to get their fair share of possession. We expected the Argt forwards to come out fiery and committed. Wat was the difference between the sides was Johnny Wilkinson but strangely he missed some easy penalties too!

I'm convinced England are ready to progress further and that they will improve and enhance their chances of success!!!

Ah, I see what the problem is. Your posts are somehow being caught in a space time continuum, such as a worm hole. You are posting during the 2003 RWC, but somehow they are being realised in 2011....

This explains why you don't seem to be watching the same tournament as the rest of us.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Jumpers, so far you're contributing some A-grade satire, or D-grade drivel. I'm intrigued to see where you go from here.

Blue

Andrew Slack (58)

England need to improve 100% are they are going home after the Q finals. They haven't the first fucking clue who they want to select and what they want to do. Just what has Martin Johnson been doing? The win in Sydney made an average team somehow look good. And now they are banking on a young 20 year old Pacific Islander to run over people and Johnny to kick them to victory.

Front these guys in the forwards and they have no plan B

Give me three sentences describing the English game plan and I'll arrange to have your alias changed to Dickens.

Status
Not open for further replies.