• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Did Joubert feel the pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
Just rewatched it for the third time. Joubert refereed this game the same way as he has refereed all year. He penalised 'obvious and material' offences, let a lot of the incidental stuff go. I also think he got many of the scrum penalties right, perhaps there was one other penalty against Woodcock where he fell to ground, but then the ball was almost in the process of being cleared from the base.

There were penalties missed for both teams there, it wasn't like he was only missing AB offences and a couple of breakdowns at the end there should have resulted in ruck/maul turnovers to NZ.

I also reckon that the French kicked away a lot of good ball and NZ tackled ferociously. Apart from when they scored the try France almost never got within drop goal range the second half. Anyone blaming the ref here is kidding themselves IMO.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
As usual, the ref did not affect the result. thought he might have been a bit overawed but the right team won JUST (in spite of getting the major wobbles). One thing that no one on here has brought up but which is roaring away on Munsterfans is Donald's kick, was it really over? Maybe it was a different feed to RTE but the Irish lads and lasses are adamant it didn't go between the sticks. have to say the recordings/ stills are far from conclusive but anyway its done now, congratulations NZ. Word has to go to France as well, Lievrement makes PdeV look like one of the great rationalists. They have effectively been coaching themselves, by some accounts, with Yaschvilli and Harinordicquy to the fore; the hairy donkey was simply awesome yesterday, showed everyone why he is the best 8 on earth. He is the best I have ever seen, he wins games for Biarritz by himself, magnifique!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Just rewatched it for the third time. Joubert refereed this game the same way as he has refereed all year. He penalised 'obvious and material' offences, let a lot of the incidental stuff go. I also think he got many of the scrum penalties right, perhaps there was one other penalty against Woodcock where he fell to ground, but then the ball was almost in the process of being cleared from the base.

There were penalties missed for both teams there, it wasn't like he was only missing AB offences and a couple of breakdowns at the end there should have resulted in ruck/maul turnovers to NZ.

I also reckon that the French kicked away a lot of good ball and NZ tackled ferociously. Apart from when they scored the try France almost never got within drop goal range the second half. Anyone blaming the ref here is kidding themselves IMO.
The last ten minutes of pick and go had the English fans asking ' are you england in disguise' !?!

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
As usual, the ref did not affect the result. thought he might have been a bit overawed but the right team won JUST (in spite of getting the major wobbles). One thing that no one on here has brought up but which is roaring away on Munsterfans is Donald's kick, was it really over? Maybe it was a different feed to RTE but the Irish lads and lasses are adamant it didn't go between the sticks. have to say the recordings/ stills are far from conclusive but anyway its done now, congratulations NZ. Word has to go to France as well, Lievrement makes PdeV look like one of the great rationalists. They have effectively been coaching themselves, by some accounts, with Yaschvilli and Harinordicquy to the fore; the hairy donkey was simply awesome yesterday, showed everyone why he is the best 8 on earth. He is the best I have ever seen, he wins games for Biarritz by himself, magnifique!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I watched donald's kick again today to double check and it looks like it went through (not over) the posts so no dramas there.

More boradly, its also worth remembering that it was really on Weepu's misses that kept this a close game. Otherwise the AB's could have been leading 13-0 at HT and 16-0 shortly afterwards and it may have been a comfortable win the to ABs. I think its very hard to argue that the ABs weren't deserving winners nor do I think many people actually are arguing this.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
One thing that no one on here has brought up but which is roaring away on Munsterfans is Donald's kick, was it really over? Maybe it was a different feed to RTE but the Irish lads and lasses are adamant it didn't go between the sticks. have to say the recordings/ stills are far from conclusive

Yeah on another (significantly worse) rugby forum this topic has gotten to 9 pages of postings. The problem as I understand it is that the grainy footage on Youtube, coupled with the fact that the camera angle (the spider) is not straight down the line, and the fact that the camera moves on its axis as the kick is taken makes it look dodgy.

However if you look at the reaction of the french players both in front and behind the posts, they are beginning to move to halfway long before the flags go up. The crowd also go up before the ball goes over and I am unreliably informed from someone who was sitting in that stand that it went through easily. Nothing to see here folks.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
I watched donald's kick again today to double check and it looks like it went through (not over) the posts so no dramas there.

More boradly, its also worth remembering that it was really on Weepu's misses that kept this a close game. Otherwise the AB's could have been leading 13-0 at HT and 16-0 shortly afterwards and it may have been a comfortable win the to ABs. I think its very hard to argue that the ABs weren't deserving winners nor do I think many people actually are arguing this.
Agree completely, of course NZ deserved to win. Don't know or really care about the kick just mentioned it as no one else had and it is quite a topic on MF.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
roaring away on Munsterfans

Perhaps against my better judgement I had a quick look at that site and that thread and instantly regretted it. Enough conspiracy theories to please a JFK website enthusiast. Paddy O'Brien is as popular there as he is here I see.

The last ten minutes of pick and go had the English fans asking ' are you england in disguise' !?!

Mate I've seen Southland hold onto the ball like that at the end of a Ranfurly Shield game for 12 minutes. Have yet to see a team get a 1 point lead, just after half time and hold onto the ball for 39 minutes, but its coming. :lmao:

T

Train Without a Station

I think the Train actually agrees with you but missed the word "not" before "biased".

Yeah sorry typo. Definitely don't think he was biased. But the AB's got the rub of the green, and got away with a fair bit more than they should have, as opposed to the cheese eating surrender monkeys. I wouldn't say it was the greatest display of officiating ever, however in the context of this World Cup there was much worse. I think the French just have the right to feel a little hard done by, and the officiating may have affected the result, considering it was only a 1 point game.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Perhaps against my better judgement I had a quick look at that site and that thread and instantly regretted it. Enough conspiracy theories to please a JFK website enthusiast. Paddy O'Brien is as popular there as he is here I see.

Mate I've seen Southland hold onto the ball like that at the end of a Ranfurly Shield game for 12 minutes. Have yet to see a team get a 1 point lead, just after half time and hold onto the ball for 39 minutes, but its coming. :lmao:
You have made the slightly unfortunate mistake of taking both me and yourself a wee bit too seriously!

crangs81

Larry Dwyer (12)

When Canterbury started playing up the jumper rugby to close out the itm cup final this year it felt like 39 bloody hours let alone minutes. Though being a Waikato i'm not surprised :)

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
In Australia we are constantly debating the importance of a good kicker. As far as I'm concerned, NZ just proved that you don't need a good kicker to win knockout rugby.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
In Australia we are constantly debating the importance of a good kicker. As far as I'm concerned, NZ just proved that you don't need a good kicker to win knockout rugby.
Actually quite enjoyed all the teams struggling with their kicking in the RWC, meant there was a bit more inclination to kick for the corner. What do people think to the idea of a third catergory of penalty that can be kicked for a retained lineout but not for goal? Not sure myself but a few commentators seem to be talking about it. Nothing like a driven lineout to draw in forwards and create space for the pretty boys.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Just to throw a cat amongst the pigeons so to speak.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBqetaCfgo&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

Scarfie were you the news director?
Certainly a few interesting ones there, but you would need to see every breakdown analysed, everything toted up to really know how it panned out over the whole game.
The Kaino one was a pretty bad miss - played it on the ground, let it go (forward) then another dives on it (they reckon he was offside - not sure) and plays it on the ground and the upshot is a scrum feed??
They're a bit off the mark with saying Paddy O'Brien selected Joubert for the final too.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Yes. You won. Why are you posting this, do you think the french were hard done by? It might be nice if a kiwi did. Just dont say it on the streets of Auckland. Dont confuse this with thinking i am disputing the result, just saying 50-50 calls didnt go there way. It happens and the french should have been.good enough to put it away with so much ball and territory.

J

Jay

Yes. You won. Why are you posting this, do you think the french were hard done by? It might be nice if a kiwi did. Just dont say it on the streets of Auckland. Dont confuse this with thinking i am disputing the result, just saying 50-50 calls didnt go there way. It happens and the french should have been.good enough to put it away with so much ball and territory.

Cause the simple fact is all the 50/50 calls didn't go the AB's way.

In that clip it's arguable he's offside the whole time and that he kicks the ball out of the ruck from an offside position. That's a pretty big play to go the way of the team everyone is thinking didn't get the rub of the green.

Status
Not open for further replies.