• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Did Joubert feel the pressure?

Status
Not open for further replies.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Not all but more than there fair share.

Maybe its possible that the AB were at an advantage after having Joubert in there semi. Knowing what they got away with would have been a help in the opening stages as they tried to push things to the limit. They did and got away with it so good on them. But should this be looked at next time around?

dermo

Larry Dwyer (12)
Overall he was pretty good I thought, especially compared to some of the other reffing displays that we have seen this World Cup. I would have liked to see him reward the French more at scrum time as i thought they were dominant all night in that department. Also i was dissapointed he let Richie Mccaw make a mess of every ruck he was involved in, when last week Pocock wasnt allowed within 10 metres of the opposition ball.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I would love paddy to tell us why the rules that made the S15 better were generally ignored in the finals.

The tackler having to release ball carrier
The tackler not rolling away
The pillars staying behind the hindmost foot of the ruck

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Some ref anayalsis:

[video=youtube;1XBqetaCfgo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1XBqetaCfgo[/video]

As the commentator said, its not nz fault, but it shouldn't be going on.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
Somebody on here has a signature that says "you can go to the end of time and at the world cup the all blacks will be faves for it" - or something along those lines. This needs to be amended.

You can go to the end of time and after every All Black victory there will be people on GAGR claiming ref bias favouring the AB's.

Look, here's how it is. Playing the ref is one of the biggest parts of rugby. We do this better than most and when we fail to do it, we often lose - see 2007 WC qtr. On Sunday, Joubert ref'd the way he always does - in his style. We'd learned it, taken it on board and thus played a game to it. France bought their A game & didn't play Joubert as well as we did. And thus we won - that's how it is, nothing more, nothing less. No bias, no home crowd advantage, no paddy conspiracy, no McCaw is untouchable, nothing. We just played the ref better.

Joubert is the best ref in the world & got the gig because of it.

Chief - although you seem a bit close to the boy who cried wolf, I do agree with you on Barnes. However, Barnes created more controversy than most refs on the back of his calls in this tourney, and thus awarding him a knockout woud be conclusive proof that the ref managers are indeed just going to their agenda, on not going on what they are seeing. Joubert was not controversial at any stage (discounting a few french folks which I can understand and of course, the usual AB-are-cheats-ref-are-biased knocking brigade on GAGR who I discount anyway).

As for the kick going over.. anybody with eyes that work, can look at any replay anywhere and see the ball passing in front of the right stick, and thus through the goal. The fact that this has generated any "controversy" is rock hard proof that there are those out there who will do anything to try and discredit/take away the NZ world cup win.

MajorlyRagerly

Trevor Allan (34)
to be fair PB, I think most on this board agree with it. Plenty who don't, but we'd have nothing to discuss if we all agreed.

Liver is not in a great state, problem with tense games is I drink like a fish when the going gets tough. Thus, was put through paces the last 3 weekends!

Detox now though - richly deserved.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
I agree with what you have said about playing the ref.

But I dont agree that rugby should be refereed in a way that you can play the ref. I think that is the underlying issue here, and the all blacks cop the flak because they play the ref better than others.

But if I was running the show I'd try and take the referee's temperamental influence out of the game as much as possible whilst at the same time encouraging positive rugby. That would be priority number 1.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I agree with what you have said about playing the ref.

But I dont agree that rugby should be refereed in a way that you can play the ref. I think that is the underlying issue here, and the all blacks cop the flak because they play the ref better than others.

But if I was running the show I'd try and take the referee's temperamental influence out of the game as much as possible whilst at the same time encouraging positive rugby. That would be priority number 1.
UI cant disagree with your view. The most important thing about reffing is the player management part. That is Craig Joubert and Mark Lawrense biggest asset and the NH refs biggest draw back. You dont want some **** out there talking to players like they are school kids, yo9u want good communications between player and ref. Mistakes will always be there but a lot of ref bashers in this place , just bash for the sake of moan. You can take this thread and compare it with the B Lawrense thread and see for yourself which posters defend B Lawrense performances but moan about Craig's performance to see who the real dose are in this place. I'll ask them to take the ref job and starting with the young ones to really learn the trade to try and understand whats it all about. But then most of them are probable PC nerds and just throw ref tantrums for the sake of it.

mark_s

Chilla Wilson (44)
Paarl, were people actually defending B Lawrence's referring abilities? I don't think so, there are loads of posts on this site going back a number of years bemoaning the fact that Bryce allows a free for all at ruck time.

People have been defending him against the fall out he personally coppped after the qtr final (mainly certain SA quarters) which was way over the top. There is a big difference between the two.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
Joubert had the most stressful job of anyone on that field. Players too busy playing their hearts out.

Refs play a crucial role in our game, and all we can do, IMO, is ask that they are consistent, knowledgeable of their responsibilities, and fair.

To take refs out of the equation would require neutering the game into some form of rugby checkers. No thanks.

Joubert in my view was easily the best referee of the cup.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Paarl, were people actually defending B Lawrence's referring abilities? I don't think so, there are loads of posts on this site going back a number of years bemoaning the fact that Bryce allows a free for all at ruck time.

People have been defending him against the fall out he personally coppped after the qtr final (mainly certain SA quarters) which was way over the top. There is a big difference between the two.

Not to mention that almost no one on here complained about Joubert after AUSTRALIA lost to the Kiwis. By contrast, most praised his officiating of that game.

Of course, that wouldn't fit with the story that we're a bunch of whining ****s... ;)

Mank

Ted Thorn (20)
I'm not sure performance of referees has declined rather than more fans just seem to be riding a tidal wave of negative sentiment. Is there any objective evidence for that?

Scotty

David Codey (61)
The refs need some help with some law tweaks, better support from the ARs and the TMO.

Most of all they need better and more consistent direction from the top. As fatprop pointed out (and many others including moi) the balance was good during this years super 15 and even better during last years when there was a real focus on ensuring the tackler released. In fact Joubert was one of the best at this.

Why have we regressed back to where we are know with the tacklers lying all over the ball for eons?

B

BRIX

Just watched the replay again. Not blowing the whistle for Kaino's infringement was criminal. People need to realize were the Richie hate comes from too, and it's not because of his ability to play the ref and teeter on the fine line, it's because he's a grub. Off the ball shit > everything else.

B

Blob

I can't believe Bonnaire wasn't penalised for kneeing Read in the head.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I can't believe Bonnaire wasn't penalised for kneeing Read in the head.

May be it was deemed accidental contact with an offside player making no effort to clear the gate?

This is a perfect example of the cynical AB infringements that was the basis of Scarfie's video.

The amount of times the French appealed to the ref and then went *&%$ it and cleared the ball by using the boot on the player. FFS boot on the player is a penalty but Joubert was blind to the boots as he was of the players killing the ball which made necessary the boots in the first place.

I was cheering the French because haven't most of us been calling for the Wallabies to stomp a few for killing the ball for the last decade or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.