• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Crusaders v Reds (Rnd 13)

Status
Not open for further replies.

emuarse

Chilla Wilson (44)
Richard Graham, do the right thing for the future of Queensland rugby - fall on your sword and resign.
By doing that you will effectively get rid of those above you, particularly Rod McCall, who has over stayed his role, and in turn allow the Reds to find a new path.
I have never seen in all my days of supporting the Queensland rugby side, from when Ballymore became our home ground, a back line perform so dismally in defence as in the second half last night.
They should be so ashamed of themselves. Where is the soul, the spirit... it is gone.

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
Man that was poor, can see why Reds supporters are pissed. All comments have been pretty well said from what I can see, but I would add one thing.
Could see what Marto was saying and how angry he was after the game (who wouldn't be) the only thing I would say, if the players did go in at halftime and seemed to not listen to coach etc, (seems their defensive effort gave that impression), I would also be getting stuck into players, if you don't like your coach etc, tough you should be throwing yourself into your defense for your team mates, supporters and your own bloody pride!! I would suggest on that performance not only RG should go but half the bloody players.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
In my aborted match preview I wrote:

"In the absence of a discernible game plan, the Reds will presumably continue to plug away in the forwards, where Slipper and Gill have been outstanding, and hope that someone with double digits on their back can manufacture something..."

And they did.

And:

"The standard Blackadder game plan will therefore be rolled out again: win or at least gain parity up front, control territory through Slade and Carter, and wait for the pressure thereby created to result in points. It's a strategy that doesn't always work but against the team with the worst defence in the comp (points differential -131), it should be enough."

And it was.

Never imagined we'd win by that many, though........

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Man that was poor, can see why Reds supporters are pissed. All comments have been pretty well said from what I can see, but I would add one thing.
Could see what Marto was saying and how angry he was after the game (who wouldn't be) the only thing I would say, if the players did go in at halftime and seemed to not listen to coach etc, (seems their defensive effort gave that impression), I would also be getting stuck into players, if you don't like your coach etc, tough you should be throwing yourself into your defense for your team mates, supporters and your own bloody pride!! I would suggest on that performance not only RG should go but half the bloody players.
I did actually sit through that a second time. I honestly think the players are very unfit, and when confronted by a quick score after half time while still a man up their heads dropped and the game was done. The lack of preparation doesn't stop at the game plan, with the loss of the S&C staff and even before the season was shot. On the loss of those coaches some questions need to be asked.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
2 were just good reads by the Saders.

That is the first game I've watched and completely agreed with Genia's critics. He was terrible tonight. Meandering to the break down, literally standing half a meter away from rucks watching the Saders pick up our ball, slow ball WITH players already set up outside him. Him playing like that at 9 and Frisby at 10. no wonder the Reds are hopeless in attack. At least Gale had some urgency when he came on.

Those calling JOC (James O'Connor)'s game rubbish clearly only watched his 1 missed kick and the interception. Missed the fact that he was the only player giving the backline any go forward, consistently beating the first tackler and creating half gaps/opportunities. If he was on the end of the Tahs/Brumbies/Rebels backline everyone would be raving about him. But he is the bookend of a completely dysfunctional backline.

Thanks fuck the Reds have LFG, Hanson and JOC (James O'Connor) at the moment. Easily our best 3 with Kerevi close behind.

This I completely agree with. Exactly the way I saw his game as well.

Buy I don't agree in any way with your comments re JOC (James O'Connor). ATM he really hasn't shown any evidence to say he could be in the RWC squad, and I have some doubts he'd make it into the Tahs, Brumbies backlines the way he is playing. Needs to improve substantially to be considered, though that is unlikely to happen now at the Reds.

Dismal Pillock

David Codey (61)
re:Genia, Justin Marshall had the exact opposite opinion, thought he was awesome last night, "would be a huge threat for the wallabies this year" etc etc. I really think he doesnt take much in, he's too busy focusing all his gray matter on keeping that flow of words headed out of his mouth, any words will do, just keep blabbing. Once a halfback always a halfback.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
"Following the Crusaders' 58-17 victory over the Reds at AMI Stadium, the two champion players stood with their team-mates in the middle of the park as footage of their careers with the franchise was beamed out on the big screen."

image.jpg

image.jpg

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/...w-farewell-crusaders-faithful-in-christchurch

Nice touch, that.

gel

Ken Catchpole (46)
One of the most annoying things about Genia's play (and it has been like this seemingly forever anyway - not just under RG) is that when a turnover is about to happen or even the hint of one he will put his hands up in the air, point at the ball, yell at a team mate or the ref whilst watching the ball be stolen right from underneath where he is standing. It's like the concept of maybe pushing back or even just getting his hands on the ball before the oppistion can doesnt even occur to him. Truly baffling to me.

The box kicking is just plain odd. It is obviously a set part of the reds strategy and they surely must be training for it becasue he defaults to it so quickly and readily, but then the execution is just plain poor *AND* the chasing non existent (there are always to parts to any kick), so I can't figure out why that could be so if they surely must be training for it.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I have to say that on reading some of the comments on this thread, I feel like I must've been watching a different game to some of you. Some of the players getting criticised, I thought, went ok or better.

Slipper: excellent until injury.
Hanson: one of the Reds best on ground
Holmes: played well
Simmons: played ok, did the tight stuff, was a touch inconspicuous but lacked leadership when it was needed.
Horwill: thought he went well. Carried well, was looking for work, did plenty in tight. Seemed to assume his old captains role at times which is what you want when the El capitano goes off.
Thomson: great game, not his best game for sure but still quality
Gill: freak
Schatz: a little inconspicuous but that's what he does. Did his work and had a couple of good carries.
Genia: great in patches and not so much in other patches. Saw him attempt a few clean outs when players were isolated but saw him stand off a couple that really could've used an extra man. Box kicks were awful.
Frisby: one of his better games at 10. Played heaps flatter than normal. I wondered if the rumours of Quade running the backs whilst injured are true because I definitely saw glimpses of how QC (Quade Cooper) plays in there.
Ant: Didn't have a good night.
Kerevi: fairly typical game from him. Fantastic in times, mostly good, but really poor in places. Got amongst the points.
CFS: not a brilliant performance but still one of his better nights. Seems to want to get more involved and appears to be developing some confidence again.
JOC (James O'Connor): good game. His few touches got us going forward but looked like he had a few misreads on D or didn't have the confidence in Kerevi so came in and tried to cover Crotty and his own man.
Turner: poor bastard. In a game where we leak 50+ points the fullback is always going to look poor. Looked like Nadolo was brain dynamite for him.

Also on the bench, Sef, Taps and JJ looked good. JJ looks to have done a bit of work on his D too which is excellent.

Anyway, that's my thoughts.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
"There are absolutely no excuses for that performance other than it lacked character and it lacked integrity," X said.

"At 15-10 we'd scrapped and we'd fought and stayed in it ... but then the next 25 minutes in particular was disgraceful.

"That's not acceptable at any level of football let alone Super Rugby.

"We've let the organisation down badly, we've let the jersey down.

"I'm as disappointed as you can be after a result like that."

A chocolate fish for the first person to correctly guess the identity of X.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
That was the untouchable himself was it not? Sounds like something he'd say anyway. Never his fault. He uses the word 'we' but the rest of the words he uses says 'they'.

Brumby Runner

Jason Little (69)
I have to say that on reading some of the comments on this thread, I feel like I must've been watching a different game to some of you. Some of the players getting criticised, I thought, went ok or better.

Simmons: played ok, did the tight stuff, was a touch inconspicuous but lacked leadership when it was needed.

Sam Whitelock also thought he was inconspicuous.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Here's the thing Richard. If it's never your fault, if it is actually the players that can't grasp what you want them to do, if it's the players that are lazy and lacking in character and integrity, then the writing must be on the wall for you. They are obviously unsalvageable. Even with a clearly amazing coach such as yourself guiding them, it's obviously just beyond them.
I won't look upon you harshly, and it wouldn't tarnish my view of you if you looked after yourself and your own career for once and packed your bags and left. You've selflessly been trying for years now and I think that's enough. You did your best...... Fuck off!

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Sam Whitelock also thought he was inconspicuous.
If you're referring to Whitelock's try then you can't pin it on Simmons. Pretty much all of them fell off Sam in that gallop. Pretty sure some players got to their feet ran and attempted a second tackle only to fall off him.
When the flood gates are open shit like that happens. They were in a panic, their 'structures' (ha!) went out the window and shit like that happens.

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
That was the untouchable himself was it not? Sounds like something he'd say anyway. Never his fault. He uses the word 'we' but the rest of the words he uses says 'they'.

Correct. Here's your prize:

image.jpg

(I'd mail you a real one but I don't know where you live & it would likely melt. Also my cat ate it. OK, I ate it (but gave the cat a teeny tiny bit) :))

I speculated on the Blues thread that Kirwan & Graham might yet be saved by this being a RWC year: anyone who's good enough to take their place is probably part of someone's Cup campaign & there's just not enough time between RWC & S18 for a coach to be recruited & have the kind of input into their 2016 squad anyone coming to a basket-case outfit would no doubt demand.

dru

David Wilson (68)
Richard Graham, do the right thing for the future of Queensland rugby - fall on your sword and resign.
By doing that you will effectively get rid of those above you, particularly Rod McCall, who has over stayed his role, and in turn allow the Reds to find a new path.
I have never seen in all my days of supporting the Queensland rugby side, from when Ballymore became our home ground, a back line perform so dismally in defence as in the second half last night.
They should be so ashamed of themselves. Where is the soul, the spirit. it is gone.

Kevin Keegan took only 12 months before he realised he wasn't up to coaching England (football). Wally Lewis at the end as captain coach of Gold Coast hooked himself off the field for poor D. The end was nigh.

RG could a lot worse than think about honourable blokes like that.

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)

Hard to admit but you are right. They have to own that at the end of the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.