• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

COVID-19 Stuff Here

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
That article, published last Thursday, is extremely misleading & neither statement contained in the headline reflects what's actually happening over here.

Are your daily cases still falling? From what I've read it seems like it's right on a knife edge as to whether you'll be able to fully eradicate the virus via shutdowns, fingers crossed you can.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I reckon I'll be holidaying in Australia for the foreseeable future.

Airlines are going to be a shit show, airports (as they always have been) a prime place to catch a bug, and many of the attractive destinations likely to be blasted by this particular virus.

Probably a good time to visit Uluru....

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Are your daily cases still falling? From what I've read it seems like it's right on a knife edge as to whether you'll be able to fully eradicate the virus via shutdowns, fingers crossed you can.

New infections are trending down day-on-day & for four days running now the "recovered" number has exceeded the new cases. The most recent doubling of cases took about 12 days whereas two weeks ago it was doubling every three or four days. The bad news is that we've had four deaths in the last 24 hours taking the total to nine, a week ago it was two.

Latest modelling suggests that we're "over the hump" in terms of new infections but that deaths will peak in about 10-15 days time: the "actual" lines when compared to the projections are if anything slightly better than the model predicted, that's the most encouraging thing of all.

EDIT: that said, I don't think we're coming out of lockdown until people stop dying, by which time the new infections number should be pretty much zero. After that I'd say we're looking at a minimum three months where some shops & other businesses can open but entire sectors e.g. hospitality, tourism & entertainment will remain closed down for at least an additional six months, maybe even longer.

Attachments

• IMG_0952.JPG
    IMG_0952.JPG
    65.8 KB · Views: 106

Froggy

John Solomon (38)
Agree Tex,
Really hard to see any overseas travel until we have a vaccine. Those as old as me would remember when you had to have a smallpox vaccine to go overseas.

Reactions: Tex

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Was that after Trump and FoxNews labelled C.V. a hoax?

Everybody got this wrong, no one got this right and this monday morning quarterback stuff is just rubbish

Just wait to we get released from confinement and some prick blames the inevitable next death (and there will be plenty more) on [insert here] government

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Agree Tex,
Really hard to see any overseas travel until we have a vaccine. Those as old as me would remember when you had to have a smallpox vaccine to go overseas.

It is just as likely there won't be a vaccine for many, many years. It isn't like they have worked out a SARS vaccine or any other of these types of viruses.

A more reasonable approach is that we will try to stay healthy, exercise, lose weight (ie get our shit together and move on) and reduce our risk factors

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
The NZ article is no inconvenience at all.
NZ is claiming four days of falling new infections, Australia's new infections have been falling since 29th March.
We now have seven consecutive days of 100 infections or less from a population of 25 million, the figure NZ are quoting is a new low of 29 new infections form a population of 4.8 million.
I don't want to belittle NZ's efforts, I think they have done a great job, just that by any impartial measure they are no more successful than us.
I know I said I wouldn't comment again, and now I won't because I know you will come back with some silly remark.

Comparing "the curves", NZ is well above where Australia was 46 days in but IF we can keep on our current trajectory we'll fall below you somewhere around the 60-day mark. Damn graph won't save as an image but it's in here under the heading NZ CASES COMPARED WITH GLOBAL OUTBREAKS:

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/he...oard-key-graphs-about-the-spread-of-the-virus

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Agree Tex,

Yeah it would be shame. We've got plans on going to NYC at the end of next year after the kids finish their Yr12 exams, but that obviously may not happen.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah it would be shame. We've got plans on going to NYC at the end of next year after the kids finish their Yr12 exams, but that obviously may not happen.

At the end of 2021? I'd wager that you'd be a fair chance at making the trip by then. End of 2020 might be a stretch.

Rob42

John Solomon (38)
And in comparing any country's responses at this stage, we need to keep in mind this has only just started. I mean, I've been very pleased at times when the Wallabies have scored two tries in the opening 10 minutes of a game - but it turns out, that's no guarantee of final success. . .

waiopehu oldboy

George Smith (75)
Of NZ's nine deaths, six are from a Christchurch psycho-geriatric unit: 20* infected in total plus at least one Burwood Hospital medic who was treating them. Rapidly becoming our Ruby Princess, albeit on a much smaller scale.

* EDIT: that's 20 from the dementia unit, 34 in all from the resthome.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
And in comparing any country's responses at this stage, we need to keep in mind this has only just started. I mean, I've been very pleased at times when the Wallabies have scored two tries in the opening 10 minutes of a game - but it turns out, that's no guarantee of final success.

Very pertinent analogy.

Aurelius

Ted Thorn (20)
boyo, if you're going to jump on the internet and say that the poor response was principally from right wing governments and cite the US, the UK and Australia as evidence, you have absolutely no right to criticise anyone else for being lazy when they point out the flaws to your argument.
Your position on the Australian government's response seems very predicated on your political views, and couldn't assessed as an impartial position.
If you want hard facts, New Zealand (who I agree, has handled this very well) has an infection rate of 280 people per million, whereas Australia's infection rate is 249 people per million.
I don't intend to enter into further argument on this, as it is purely political and really doesn't advance the (in my opinion very good quality) debate we are having on here about dealing with COVID-19

I think an unexpected side effect of the coronavirus is that we now know what Chris Bowen gets up to in his spare time.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
Well, with people only really able to go outside for exercise one thing I am noticing is more people out walking and running. Perhaps people will also try and eat more healthily because they are worried about not being active.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well, with people only really able to go outside for exercise one thing I am noticing is more people out walking and running. Perhaps people will also try and eat more healthily because they are worried about not being active.
Based upon what you can, and cannot, buy easily at supermarkets over the past 6 weeks, there seems to be only a modest chance of this! I've never seen the fruit and veg section cleaned out!!
But the increase in people moving with purpose, lest they be fined, is palpable! Long may it last.