• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Cooper - Good or Great rugby player - discuss.

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Realistically, what chance is there of Quade Cooper going to league? I am not trying to wind anyone up, I just wonder would Union in Aus have the money to keep him if the bigger league franchises came calling?

He can earn more in union, league are under a salary cap. To get the money he wants they would have to sacrifice having a team and have quite a few youngsters to make up th numbers.

His manager is a league manager who became a boxing manager when Anthony mundane left league to go boxing and he also organized SBW lat night flight to France breaking league contract. He is a bit of a stuntman, he pushes the big bucks and if things goes wrong screams racism or whatever else will deflect the blame.

If quade gets the money h might go, he played league as a youngster and reportedly wants to give it a go. His contract talks next year are bound to be interesting, drawn out and an utter distraction to all involved.

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
He can earn more in union, league are under a salary cap. To get the money he wants they would have to sacrifice having a team and have quite a few youngsters to make up th numbers.

His manager is a league manager who became a boxing manager when Anthony mundane left league to go boxing and he also organized SBW lat night flight to France breaking league contract. He is a bit of a stuntman, he pushes the big bucks and if things goes wrong screams racism or whatever else will deflect the blame.

If quade gets the money h might go, he played league as a youngster and reportedly wants to give it a go. His contract talks next year are bound to be interesting, drawn out and an utter distraction to all involved.
Didn't realise that about the cap, thank you. Does the cap extend to European RL? Really don't know anything about league so wouldn't know where to start looking.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Each team in aus as a cap, it's a popular sport but only in a couple of states, because the comp kinda developed itself teams are scattered and there is a big class divide, so they brought in the cap to even out the competition. The cap is meant Tories in the nextcoupke of years, but even then forking out the 800,000 Cooper wants would still be a joke.

Europe has no cap that I know of, but Cooper keeps talking about playing "state of origin" which is QLD v NSW and widow seen as a higher level game than internationals. He is still young but you would have to say with his tackling technique it would take him at least a few years to get there.

The only move his manager has is to lie to different parties in the hope of creating a bidding war. I dontthink it will work next year unless he has an absolute blinder of super and test season and will probably cause more of a distraction, I think he will stay till 2015, there just might be 102 contact negotiation in that period

the plastic paddy

John Solomon (38)
Each team in aus as a cap, it's a popular sport but only in a couple of states, because the comp kinda developed itself teams are scattered and there is a big class divide, so they brought in the cap to even out the competition. The cap is meant Tories in the nextcoupke of years, but even then forking out the 800,000 Cooper wants would still be a joke.

Europe has no cap that I know of, but Cooper keeps talking about playing "state of origin" which is QLD v NSW and widow seen as a higher level game than internationals. He is still young but you would have to say with his tackling technique it would take him at least a few years to get there.

The only move his manager has is to lie to different parties in the hope of creating a bidding war. I dontthink it will work next year unless he has an absolute blinder of super and test season and will probably cause more of a distraction, I think he will stay till 2015, there just might be 102 contact negotiation in that period
Thanks.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Watching his Super Rugby season, I never thought it was a weakness he ran back to fullback in defence. Those crazy kick returns won the reds a few games this year.

That's obviously not as valuable for the wallabies with Beale on the field - but if it works it's not really a problem.

I reckon Cooper is improving, but I think we can all agree his manager is a world class bellend.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
I believe the NRL clubs will have their salary caps increased with the TV negotiations going on at the moment...

The clubs are demanding it anyways...so QC (Quade Cooper) can concievably can still expect a nice little earner in the NRL in the not so distant future.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Smh reported earlier in the week that the view in clubland was QC (Quade Cooper) had gone from 700k pa to 300k as a result of rwc2011

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
Cooper and his 1 year contracts were always going to go tits up on him at one point.

Agree totally, I'm not a manager, but you would think he would at least put in a two year contract with an option for an escape clause.
With the way he steps, as he ages there is a massive chance of him having knee damage one day, if that happens, a one year contract isn't going. Comfort him at night

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Away from rugby Quade has an interest in real estate, property and owning a small business.

This is in his player profile on the Reds websight. There are to many parisites hanging around this bloke. The best thing he could do is manage himself. If these future ambitions are correct, it wouldn't be a bad start for him either.

I think Quade is tougher than many of us give him credit for. The amount of crap he cops would of broken many a man.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I'd be surprised if Cooper wasn't already on a higher wage than he could earn in the NRL. I think his strong relationships with Reds players and staff along with living close to his family will keep him there.

Sent using Tapatalk

P

proton

dont look at no 10s from nz they have 14 players beside themselves larkim only did things at pace no one could keep up with plus tey runs were inside out. give cooper a chance he'll be a destroyer in time he knows that[er 2 years youll be surprised the only reason they aint in the final
Lets have a
look @ the "Great" Number 10's of our time, of their own respective countries, Stephen Larkham?- Definitely, Andrew Merhtens?-Mmm, yeah. Jonny Wilkinson?-Definitely, Dan Carter?-Definitely.

What do all these players have in common? They controlled the game well, conservative when it needed to be, they all run well when needed. Barring Larkham, who was freakishly talented with his running game, most dominated with the boot, both out of hand and goal kicking.

Somehow I don't think Cooper fits the mould. His very risky, flashy game is the anti-thesis of what a dominant, great, First five needs. If you shackle him by getting him to play a field position orientated, conservative game he loses the "X-factor" ability he brings.

At 23, it's early in Cooper's career, Carter was @ his best against the Lions 2005 @ 23. Even given that, I'm calling it early and saying Cooper will never be one of the "great" First five's. Entertaining - absolutely, Dangerous - definitely, Talented - outrageously, Great - nope.

Loki74

Ward Prentice (10)
I'd be surprised if Cooper wasn't already on a higher wage than he could earn in the NRL. I think his strong relationships with Reds players and staff along with living close to his family will keep him there.

Definitely think that would be the case. I would have thought League team might offer him $350,000 to 400,000, but that would be pushing it. Right now, he would be a gamble and paying him $700,000 would mean losing probably a couple of other decent players. And he would need to learn to tackle. Just about every team runs there big forwards at the halves all day. Very hard to hide people in the League defensive line.

Status
Not open for further replies.