• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Competition - Link's top priority with the Wallabies

Status
Not open for further replies.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
I believe the top priority is instilling the belief that when you wear the gold you are an elite player that is part of a long and deep code of passion. To wear the jersey you must give your all. Build on the players who went before you, showing the world that we should never be underestimated, never discounted. Every game you play stronger as the game goes on. Every game you play so hard, so fast, so skillfully that you rob your opponents of hope. So well that your opponents walk off the pitch shocked.

Everything else follows this. Without it our team will always lose to teams who wanted it harder, trained better, thought faster. With it we play rugby that Australia believes in. Talent is not enough.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Get them to wear there hearts on there sleeve, maybe a sparing session against the guy your competing for your place and winner is the starter. Looking at it at least QC (Quade Cooper) will beat JOC (James O'Connor) for 10, think it would show who want's the jersey more.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think there are so many things that are important for Link to sort out. You could make a list that easily reached double figures and make a very good case for why each one should be top priority. Even then other people could come along and mention a few other things that might equally deserve top billing.

I think stuff like the kicking, the scrum, the set piece in general and some coherence in attack are all extremely important things that need sorting out.

However as a top priority in terms of the first thing Link should do I think it should be his criteria for selection and in particular covering the area of behaviour.

Link touched on it in his interview and I hope that he contacts the players and outlines to them in no uncertain terms what level of behaviour is the minimum is the for any player to be considered.

It's not just important from the point of view of pulling the likes of Beale and JOC (James O'Connor) into line. It's also important for the players who are so obviously pissed off with their antics. Also it sends a message to the younger guys coming through that they can't behave that way either.

Once he's done that he then needs to stick to it. I've got the utmost faith in JOC (James O'Connor) et al to provide an opportunity to do so in the not too distant future.

Also as Link touched on in his interview. It's important to make clear to players that representing the Wallabies doesn't just mean while you're wearing a jersey for 80 minutes. It's not even about while you're in camp with the Wobs.

Once you've pulled on that G&G jersey once you're a Wallaby and you're expected to act like it. That means while you're with your club, out with your mates, test season, S15 season, pre-season, off season.

Also I would like to see link hold a meeting with the players so that they can air any grievances and nip any other potential distracting BS in the bud. This should allow the players to focus on improving performance and results.

Finally I'd like to mention something that isn't a get it done day 1 kind of thing but I do think is very important. The Wallabies need to reconnect with the Australian public again. They could take a leaf out of the Lions book in this regard and spend more time out in the community.

People often talk about how to grow rugby in now traditional rugby areas. I reckon having the Wallaby captain or a few star players rocking up at your school for an open training session or to coach a skills clinic would really inspire some people.

Any sport thrives on interest and passion, but that spark begins with someone who inspires them. It's a very long game that's isn't likely to deliver results during Links time in charge. But it could really pay off in the long run.

Even if none of the kids they inspire go on to even make S15 level, let alone the Wallabies. The guy they inspired as a kid might become a life long Rugby fan. Then channel their enthusiasm into coaching in the local area. They the guy they coached might be the future Wallaby who in turn inspires a whole generation of players who see a local guy playing rugby for the Wallabies.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Maybe not the first priority as setting the agenda will probably come first, but IMO very high on the list will be to build a hard nosed tight 5 that hit rucks and tackles all night long. A group of tighties that play in each others back pocket and hit the line hard and hunt like wolves in 2's and 3's. The sort of tight 5 that when an opposition get tackled by a couple of them, they feel it and it puts doubt in their minds the next time they take the ball up.

Watching OZ closely the last 10 years I would say this area has been lacking. There has been some wonderful players, even world class players in that time to don the 1-5 G&G jersey, but I have never seen them work as a unit particularly defensively that suggests they are on the same page. I don't doubt the commitment of the players, but it is concerning when you see certain players arriving late to a ruck just to 'lean'.

IMO this has been a massive issue that if addressed will have a flow on effect to the rest of the team insomuch that the talented loosies and backs will work their backsides off to make the best possible use of the ball they actually get. It will lift the standard of the defence and attack and many of you here will walk away from the game with a sense of satisfaction that the team fronted.

By the way GO ALL BLACKS :)

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
I forgot to add, many have touched on behaviour and personal discipline and I believe there is merit in such things. Many a coach has talked about having "good men" No coach wants these distractions I'm sure but very successful rugby teams in the last 20 years have always had individuals involved in off field "stuff" that has caused angst and pressure on the coaches and organisation.

I know this stuff is now amplified through the media, but I'm of the view that these things are going to happen.

I know a head coach wears many hats, but get the on field stuff right and get the players engaged in that and it will go a long to minimise that off field stuff - but history has shown it wont stop it out completely.

Also one last thing GO ALL BLACKS :)

Dan54

David Wilson (68)
I would imagine just to instill in all the players to give everything, not just part of game ,but for 80 minutes, would be great start. I often have impression that some of the players 'drift' in and out of game sometimes.
I always remember GH saying one of reasons that McCaw is such a great player, he absolutely 'emptys the tank' when he plays a test, and has nothing left at end. Something along those lines would help Wallabies.

BarneySF

Bob Loudon (25)
Not top but WET WEATHER TRAINING - so we can get to the point where we can travel anywhere and have confidence that we can play in any conditions, and not get hung up on whether roofs are open or closed. I remember preparing for a Northern Hemisphere tour by countless hours training on soft sand (we have plenty of that) - almost as good as mud. Either that or base a camp in Newcastle during cyclone season.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
The one big thing that Link needs to do is his job as coach of the wallabies.

Why.

He is fucken good at it. And he will sort out the rest.....

Hope he does Piss off Beale and Jock. These 2 are a discrace to the ARU and also
An Embarrassment to the ARU on how they have built these players who have been involved with them since they were whippets

To be honest they are not needed in the wallabies and it seems there will be a few senior members happy with that.

I know this is an amazing answer the will win, but I can't get down to BLUE country this weekend so just pass the tickets onto the 2nd place winner.

Cheers
Biggsy :)

Joe Blow

Peter Sullivan (51)
He needs to re-instil passion in the jersey and make all understand what a privilege it is for them to be selected to play for their country. This may have been lost a little with Deans coaching.
The rest will come as we have the players to compete with any side on our day. Our day needs to be every day they pull on the gold jersey.
There is no excuse for giving up or giving in for a single second when you play for the Wallabies. Each player must give their best, and some, when representing Australia.
Ewen understands all of this as well as anyone.

As many have stated there are other specific areas that need to be worked on and I am sure Link and the players are very aware of these. Get the top two inches and the heart in the right place and the rest will follow.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I am still getting my head around the need for a skills coach and/or a kicking coach.

Isn't this the Wallabies we are talking about?

Why do we need specific coaches at the pointy end to teach them to catch, pass and kick? Shouldn't that development be happening at club/Super level?

These guys are full time professional athletes, wtf do they do all day?

Try-ranosaurus Rex

Darby Loudon (17)
I am still getting my head around the need for a skills coach and/or a kicking coach.

Isn't this the Wallabies we are talking about?

Why do we need specific coaches at the pointy end to teach them to catch, pass and kick? Shouldn't that development be happening at club/Super level?

These guys are full time professional athletes, wtf do they do all day?

Halfpenny had Jenkins standing behind him every time he kicked the ball he kicked at 92% in Australia. You tell me if that was important to the series win.

Further the Lion's kicking in general play was superior to Australia's. We've ben consistently beaten in the kicking game by SA, NZ, and those from the North. You tell me if that's important.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
The one big thing that Link needs to do is his job as coach of the wallabies.

Why.

He is fucken good at it. And he will sort out the rest...

Hope he does Piss off Beale and Jock. These 2 are a discrace to the ARU and also
An Embarrassment to the ARU on how they have built these players who have been involved with them since they were whippets

To be honest they are not needed in the wallabies and it seems there will be a few senior members happy with that.

I know this is an amazing answer the will win, but I can't get down to BLUE country this weekend so just pass the tickets onto the 2nd place winner.

Cheers
Biggsy :)

Biggsy very very well put,
Beale and Jock there are numerous reason to piss them both off. BUT!!!

Prior to Link joining the Reds QC (Quade Cooper) was a little wayward, and what Link brought changed his ways and there is a lot of mutual respect.

QC (Quade Cooper)'s use of the word Toxic could have had (lack of respect in brackets) maybe.

I'd like to see Link given time as people can evolve.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Halfpenny had Jenkins standing behind him every time he kicked the ball he kicked at 92% in Australia. You tell me if that was important to the series win.

Further the Lion's kicking in general play was superior to Australia's. We've ben consistently beaten in the kicking game by SA, NZ, and those from the North. You tell me if that's important.

My point is that this stuff should be sorted out a long way before a unit is running out in a test match.

If the Aus players need remedial kicking training, then what are they doing about it every day to develop those skill? What are the S15 coaches doing about it?

On Jenkins

In the autumn of 2004 Jenkins returned to the Welsh Rugby Union in the capacity of Kicking Skills Coach, working with the then newly formed WRU Academies to improve the future generations of outside halves. In the summer of 2006 he returned to the National Squad set up as Skills Coach, where he first worked for Gareth Jenkins during the 2007 Rugby World Cup campaign and subsequently Warren Gatland's new-look management team.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
I think Australia need a kicking coach and a scrum coach. But they work full time with the franchises, the wallabies and hold clinics for #3rdtier competitions. There is more than enough work there for the right people.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
What I want to see is selecting a team based on form and performance. Then building a game plan based on these players and the reletive strengths and weaknesses of the opposition.
Do you select your TEST team based on SUPER rugby form and performance or previous TEST form and performance...they are sometimes very different and don't go hand in hand.
I'd also rather that we select a certain style of play, then develop and select players to play that style. Otherwise we could have our test team selections dominated by players from the most successful franchise and be obliged to play that franchise's style of rugby. That style of Super rugby mightn't win Test matches.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Do you select your TEST team based on SUPER rugby form and performance or previous TEST form and performance.they are sometimes very different and don't go hand in hand.
I'd also rather that we select a certain style of play, then develop and select players to play that style. Otherwise we could have our test team selections dominated by players from the most successful franchise and be obliged to play that franchise's style of rugby. That style of Super rugby mightn't win Test matches.

That's always been my belief too. Work out what style of footy you want to play and set about finding players to execute that plan. It's how guys like Farr-Jones and Kearns got selected from second grade, how Bernie was converted into one of our best ever 10's etc.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
That's always been my belief too. Work out what style of footy you want to play and set about finding players to execute that plan. It's how guys like Farr-Jones and Kearns got selected from second grade, how Bernie was converted into one of our best ever 10's etc.

But on the other hand many a quality Wallaby has been selected based on their ability and then fit into the side.

Coaches/selectors need to take a pragmatic approach to things. It's not unusual for the way things are done (particularly in the backs) when personnel changes - Henry certainly did when he went from 2nd 5s Mauger/ MacAllister to Nonu. Nonu demanded selection with his very good Super play.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
But on the other hand many a quality Wallaby has been selected based on their ability and then fit into the side.

Yep, John Eales being one. I'm not saying it's a hard and fast rule, more a guiding principle. There will be blokes who are so good that you just want them out on the paddock somewhere, but I think that is fraught with danger. James O'Connor being exhibit A.

In the case of Nonu coming in, I guess it was also possible that Henry was also looking for a different type of 12. Maybe looking for that perfect balance of silky smooth ball player (Smith) and hard running crasher (Nonu)?

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Yep, John Eales being one. I'm not saying it's a hard and fast rule, more a guiding principle. There will be blokes who are so good that you just want them out on the paddock somewhere, but I think that is fraught with danger. James O'Connor being exhibit A.

In the case of Nonu coming in, I guess it was also possible that Henry was also looking for a different type of 12. Maybe looking for that perfect balance of silky smooth ball player (Smith) and hard running crasher (Nonu)?

Mauger and Luke MacAllister had gone offshore so Nonu came in. Caused some ire amongst Some AB fans, but he was clearly the best performing 12 in Super rugby, had been in the AB environment prior - but only as a centre - but he demanded selection and his combo with Smith didn't hurt matters either.

I guess that's another thing we often see 'combinations' picked for higher honors as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.