• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Cheetahs v Reds R14

Status
Not open for further replies.

terry j

Ron Walden (29)
just caught the highlights of the canes and cheetahs game, (sorry for the off topic) and a question popped into my head.

what happened to the 'firebrand' playing for the cheetahs last year? Obv cannot recall his name, played in the second row or close, 'big fuzzy' set of hair, gave his all. As soon as I hit post his name will probably come to me..

out injured or left the team? That is of course if my question can be deciphered heh heh

tigerland12

John Thornett (49)
just caught the highlights of the canes and cheetahs game, (sorry for the off topic) and a question popped into my head.

what happened to the 'firebrand' playing for the cheetahs last year? Obv cannot recall his name, played in the second row or close, 'big fuzzy' set of hair, gave his all. As soon as I hit post his name will probably come to me..

out injured or left the team? That is of course if my question can be deciphered heh heh
Backrow? Ashley Johnson? Pretty sure he went to England.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
http://www.sport24.co.za/Rugby/Super15/Watts-to-start-for-Cheetahs-20130515

Watts to start for Cheetahs

2013-05-15 14:27

Bloemfontein - Flyhalf Elgar Watts will get his first start for the Cheetahs this season after being included in the starting line-up for the Bloemfontein side's Super Rugby clash against the Reds at Free State Stadium on Saturday.
Watts played a big role as an impact player in the Cheetahs' loss to the Hurricanes last week, looking fresh on attack and kicking accurately at goal, something that Burton Francis had been struggling with the last couple of weeks.
Francis was left out altogether when Cheetahs coach Naka Drotske named his team on Wednesday, with Riaan Smit coming in as back-up on the replacements bench

The Cheetahs were holding out for flanker Lappies Labuschagne, who was included in the side pending a fitness test later in the week, after he picked up an elbow injury against the Kings three weeks ago.
Frans Viljoen, who started against the Hurricanes, was left out of the squad this week, with Boom Prinsloo added to the bench.
"Lappies has been practising but there wasn't a lot of contact involved," Drotske said.
"We are going to give him time to see how his elbow reacts and will only make a final decision on his availability at the captain's practice on Friday.
"If Lappies is not fit to play, Boom will move into the starting line-up and Frans will come in on the bench."
Teams:
Cheetahs: 15 Hennie Daniller, 14 Willie le Roux, 13 Johann Sadie, 12 Robert Ebersohn, 11 Raymond Rhule, 10 Elgar Watts, 9 Piet van Zyl, 8 Philip van der Walt, 7 Pieter Labuschagne, 6 Heinrich Brüssow, 5 Francois Uys, 4 Lodewyk de Jager, 3 Lourens Adriaanse, 2 Adriaan Strauss (captain), 1 Coenie Oosthuizen

Substitutes: 16 Ryno Barnes, 17 Trevor Nyakane, 18 Rynhardt Landman, 19 Johannes Prinsloo, 20 Sarel Pretorius, 21 Riaan Smit, 22 Ryno Benjamin

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Lance looks like he may be out. Shoulder still giving him grief so likely to be Moz or Lucas into 15.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Was thinking this morning it would be good to give Lucas a run at 15 on tour. This might be the game if Lance is out.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Yeah I am hoping that Lucas will get the nod. I wouldn't have wanted Lance to be dropped for Lucas to get a go but am ok for it to happen this way.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Lucas would definitely be less disruptive. Bringing Morahan to 15 would mean Cooper will be better off defending in the line and i doubt Link will be doing that with only 4 games left.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Morahan at fullback is an interesting choice for this match.

I guess we are going to see Quade defending at 10 for the whole match except in broken play where he might drop back to field kicks.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I like it.

Reds
1 Greg Holmes
2 Saia Fainga'a
3 James Slipper
4 Rob Simmons
5 James Horwill (c)
6 Ed Quirk
7 Liam Gill
8 Jake Schatz
9 Will Genia
10 Quade Cooper
11 Digby Ioane
12 Anthony Fainga'a
13 Chris Feauai-Sautia
14 Rod Davies
15 Luke Morahan

16 James Hanson
17 Ben Daley
18 Ed O'Donoghue
19 Jarrad Butler
20 Beau Robinson
21 Ben Lucas
22 Ben Tapuai

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I guess it makes more sense to keep Lucas on the bench as he covers 9, 10, 11, 14 and 15.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Wasn't seriously suggesting he was and figured Jets had had one of those moments, should have pointed that out. Heaps of options with Morahan able to go to the wing as well and Lucas most likely to cover 15 if needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.