• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Cheerio Deans

Status
Not open for further replies.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'd love to read a good autobiography from behind the scenes over the last 5 years. What was it really like in the wallaby camp? Did anyone understand him?

What about Robbie's just commenced autobiography, centered upon his time with the Wallabies, provisional title:

"My Journey: A Deposit in Belief in the Circumstance"

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I'd love to read a good autobiography from behind the scenes over the last 5 years. What was it really like in the wallaby camp? Did anyone understand him?

No thanks. Anything that is printed will be coloured by the viewpoint and relationship the specific writer had of Deans and others. It may be enlightening for some very specific points but that is about it. After reading M. Burke's Biography I must say I have struggled to regard him in the same light as his play perhaps deserved.

Bardon

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo.

I will need something else to take up my time. I may need therapy.

When I read that I got a mental flash of you going to see a therapist only to discover you're sitting next to RD in the waiting room.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
July 2010.

http://www.greenandgoldrugby.com/community/threads/locked-time-to-sack-deans.5459/

(and no I don't have it book marked. :) I used the excellent search feature of our great Forum)

Looking back on that thread and the comments it is a bit scary the similarities in selection and the arguments used for and against even though the names of the players changed. It is a good study in human interactions and personalities as the same arguments were put forward then and up to recently by the same people. I say that without rancour, just as an observation of how many people's attitudes to life and outlook influence their decision making and assessment of events.

One thing I will say with pleasure is that I call for the selection of Mowen back then, on the basis of form and potential.

Jebus, that was full on. Hopefully we will all move on. Without Robbie we will have to find something new to unite us. I just don't want this forum to get to that uncomfortable place you get to when the boss tells a stupid racist joke and everybody just looks uncomfortably at the floor.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
My young bloke and I had a considerable distance to travel home by train, we stayed to the end and graciously congratulated every BIL supporter we came across. Those supporters were anything but gloating on the trains we caught, to a person they told us what a great time they'd had in Australia.

Oh, and it was a train, spikhaza, not a chariot. What were you watching on Saturday night, Ben-Hur?

Well it's great that it all worked out and that your kid didn't spaz out the next day, it just so happened I was sitting in the row in front of 7 irish men who were swearing their heads off and throwing beer everywhere.. Is it morally okay for me to leave 5 minutes early now? Or should I just cop beer and abuse all over me instead. Off that high horse

Pusser

Larry Dwyer (12)
Link has been announced?

Cqv60.gif
No. Apparently it's been announced that it will be announced tomorrow. Weird way of doing business:-/

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Pfitzy

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Well it's great that it all worked out and that your kid didn't spaz out the next day, it just so happened I was sitting in the row in front of 7 irish men who were swearing their heads off and throwing beer everywhere.. Is it morally okay for me to leave 5 minutes early now? Or should I just cop beer and abuse all over me instead. Off that high horse

Lindo's "kid" is about 6' 4" and taking some time in Europe later this year to go play rugby :)

But your situation is why I'd never take my kids to a rugby match until they hit their teens. Otherwise I'd have to get arrested for knocking out 7 Irishmen, and then who could take them home?

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect ...

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
The writing was on the wall.

Why didn't he offer his resignation immediately after the series was lost.

At least he would have retained some dignity although it may have probably meant he would lose most of his severence pay or contract termination payout.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The writing was on the wall.

Why didn't he offer his resignation immediately after the series was lost.

At least he would have retained some dignity although it may have probably meant he would lose most of his severence pay or contract termination payout.

You just answered your own question.

Not many people are going to go without 6 months of a lucrative salary just to keep a little more pride intact.

Dmac

Frank Row (1)
Peter Fitzsimons had some interesting comments on the Deans legacy in the SMH today.

The one point that stood out to me though was that there has never been a wbs coach who has worked harder and closer with community rugby.

Could that have been such a part of his continued support from the board and especially something that will be sadly missed with a new coach?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Peter Fitzsimons had some interesting comments on the Deans legacy in the SMH today.

The one point that stood out to me though was that there has never been a wbs coach who has worked harder and closer with community rugby.

Could that have been such a part of his continued support from the board and especially something that will be sadly missed with a new coach?

Meanwhile during Dingo's time in the chair, there has never been an ARU CEO who has worked so hard to avoid community rugby development responsibilities.

lewisr

Bill McLean (32)
Meanwhile during Dingo's time in the chair, there has never been an ARU CEO who has worked so hard to avoid community rugby development responsibilities.

Can't help but feel that Deans is the victim of some seriously average management by the ARU board as much as himself....... The way they have conducted business since re-appointing JO'N is farcical and I hope we are seeing the start of a new era with Pulver and now Ewen. Although his new foreign players law for the Force/ Rebels is concerning.

Langthorne

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Before the thread is closed, I would like to say that, although I agree it is (past) time for Robbie Deans to move on, it is a shame that things didn't work out better as he clearly wanted the Wallabies to win, and he worked hard and to the best of his ability. All the best for the future mate.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
While I am happy to see the back of Deans I think he still has a lot to offer rugby. Most likely as a Super Coach in NZ or in a Club in Europe. If he has a limited squad that he controls then he'll be able to manage quite well. He put in the time and effort in his role and was out in the community, especially early on in his tenure. From when he started up until the RWC he did a good job. It all came crashing down when he named his squad to go to NZ. Since then he's been a dead man walking in my eyes.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
I'll try hard in the following days to be as charitable to Deans' future as some are here, and I mean that sincerely.

But for now, no.

Under JO'N Mk II and Deans Mk I huge damage has been done to the commercial and community strength of Australian rugby. These men were paid very large salaries and made multiple claims as to what was being achieved and definitely would be achieved on their privileged watches over this wonderful game in Australia.

Yet virtually every KPI that matters as to the strategic health of Australian rugby both in absolute and terms relative to other sporting codes here has materially worsened, from Wallaby trending crowd numbers to rugby's % code market share to community $ funding levels to the commercial solidity of our S15 teams, and so on.

To cap it all off, 83,000 fans paid huge individual seat prices on Saturday night to see an almost embarrassing Wallaby performance and a loss of the BIL series. The startling brevity of Pulver's paragraph above re Deans' achievements in his record-length engagement says it all.

By any standard, the recent performance of the most highly remunerated, senior members of the elite of our game in this country has been appalling. In a crucial era for Australian rugby, action was not taken adequately or rapidly enough to correct obvious and major problems in both Wallaby management and across the management of the code as a whole.

The recovery road that remains as a consequence will be long, hard and require serious investment. Given the state and depth of the damage done, a positive long-range outcome if far from guaranteed.

I am sorry, but my anger over this wholly avoidable state of affairs will burn on for a while yet. I am not ready to easily forgive until I see betterment and a true recovery for Australian rugby.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
RH - agree with much of that and would have liked to see the Board members who have hidden away the "review" into the RWC and those who rubber stamped JONs decrees also exposed and resign. This has been a period of an almost total lack of integrity in so many aspects Australian Rugby. Deans as a servant, no matter how highly placed cannot take the blame for that lack of integrity, such responsibility lies with the Chairman, the board and the CEO.

scaraby

Ron Walden (29)
Lindo's "kid" is about 6' 4" and taking some time in Europe later this year to go play rugby :)

But your situation is why I'd never take my kids to a rugby match until they hit their teens. Otherwise I'd have to get arrested for knocking out 7 Irishmen, and then who could take them home?

-----------------------
I hate autocorrect .
no one ...knocked out Irishmen full of grog are very good at finding their own way home.........its in their blood...

Status
Not open for further replies.