• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

Celebrating the Rebels

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I don’t want this to be a eulogy but it is a really sad time for Rebel fans and for rugby in Australia as a whole. So I thought a thread celebrating the history of the rebels (and Rising) was worth a shot.

We have some diehard Rebels fans here who have been here since the start. I’d love to hear favourite memories, players, best ever team thoughts.

@Scooter is the stats man. Reckon you could share the top try scorers and point scorers and caps? And any other quirky stats you have?

This is a completely positive thread. Any negativity will be deleted.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
This is one of the memories that has been brought up for me over the , particularly around the discussions Stan have had around the Brumbies and the Reds breaking long droughts (home or away) against the Crusaders.

Big game: round 1 away to the Saders, year 2 under McGahan. Lost a couple of names who'd been a big part of our identity across the first 3 seasons in Pyle, Mitchell, Woodward and Horie. First season without big name offseason pickups as compared to the JOC (James O'Connor), Beale, Higginbotham,, Ellison, Fainga'as of before: Chris Harris and Jonah Placid were the closest things to names joining. The preseason form was not that great either to my knowledge. Two yellows, the first of which saw Colby Fainga'a playing scrum half because our backline was so fuck off tall none of them could even pretend to play Scrum half.

And yet we scrap a 20-10 Victory against one of Super Rugby's big boys, in a city that's been a graveyard for visiting teams.

There are other games I've probably enjoyed more or gotten to attend, but it was the first time it seemed that we could REALLY be something more than a novelty.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I have mixed feelings about this one as a Red's fan, but watching the first win in Brisbane in 2014 from Melbourne must have been amazing.

What a game. 2 tries to Burgess. A late penalty reversal for an eye-gouge and Woodward calmly slots the match winner.

Really killed off that Red's season.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
I'm struggling to find highlights, but the final round game against the Highlanders in 2013 has to be one of the most "rebels" games of all time. 7-31 down at the break, 38-37 win.

Roberts, Woodward, English, Sidey, Vuna, Hegarty, Phipps, Delve, Fuglistaller, Saffy, Neville, Pyle, Weeks, Robinson, Henderson

Horie, Alo-Emile, Jones, Reid, Stirzaker, O'Connor, Sitauti

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
I'm struggling to find highlights, but the final round game against the Highlanders in 2013 has to be one of the most "rebels" games of all time. 7-31 down at the break, 38-37 win.

Roberts, Woodward, English, Sidey, Vuna, Hegarty, Phipps, Delve, Fuglistaller, Saffy, Neville, Pyle, Weeks, Robinson, Henderson

Great names!

Shota Horie, that's one the streets won't forget.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I went to a Rebels game last year at AMI when they played the Reds. Terrific game of footy it was too. I was there with a mate who is a die hard Aussie Rules guy (we had watched our beloved Carlton beat Geelong a couple of night previous) and he really enjoyed it.

Another highlight for me has been the emergence of Carter Gordon, I think the bloke could develop into something pretty special if he stays in our code.

Lastly, there have been several Vic locals who have come up through the Rebels and that's good for the game.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)

Incredible game. Horie, Stirzaker and Situati didn't get a run. 4 tries in the last 20 minutes.

Doubles to Bryce Hegarty, Cooper Vuna and Tom English. Four conversions from Jason Woodward.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
I don’t want this to be a eulogy but it is a really sad time for Rebel fans and for rugby in Australia as a whole. So I thought a thread celebrating the history of the rebels (and Rising) was worth a shot.

We have some diehard Rebels fans here who have been here since the start. I’d love to hear favourite memories, players, best ever team thoughts.

@Scooter is the stats man. Reckon you could share the top try scorers and point scorers and caps? And any other quirky stats you have?

This is a completely positive thread. Any negativity will be deleted.
Great thread. Thanks Reg.

Not sure if everyone wants to have some fun and do some guessing on who they think are the top 10 in caps, try scorers and point scorers for both the Rebels and the Rising (RIP the NRC).

Only one drop goal has ever been kicked by a Rebels player. Anyone remember who that was? Will one of the current players kick one in the next few weeks to change that stat?

The Rebels also currently have 13 "one cap" wonders. A couple of which came on in the 78th or 79th minute. Anyone want to have a guess at them?

If you don't want to guess at the stats, particularly the Rising stars, I am happy to just post them.

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
Great thread. Thanks Reg.

Not sure if everyone wants to have some fun and do some guessing on who they think are the top 10 in caps, try scorers and point scorers for both the Rebels and the Rising (RIP the NRC).

Only one drop goal has ever been kicked by a Rebels player. Anyone remember who that was? Will one of the current players kick one in the next few weeks to change that stat?

The Rebels also currently have 13 "one cap" wonders. A couple of which came on in the 78th or 79th minute. Anyone want to have a guess at them?

If you don't want to guess at the stats, particularly the Rising stars, I am happy to just post them.
Drop goal was Angus Roberts

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
My Fav game is proberly still the come from behind Canes win at AAMI
Player: Jordy Reid
Try: Richard Kingi against the Force when DC kicked cross field off a penalty always comes to mind.

Scooter

Nicholas Shehadie (39)
My Fav game is proberly still the come from behind Canes win at AAMI
Player: Jordy Reid
Try: Richard Kingi against the Force when DC kicked cross field off a penalty always comes to mind.
Our medical staff didn't treat Jordy overly well in the end.

Edit: Apologies Reg if that crosses the negative line.