• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

CAS Rugby 2025

TheMaulester

Ted Fahey (11)
Can someone here please provide me of the results history or a website where I can find the results history, of when Waverly, Barker and Knox have each played AAGPS schools in trials (as early as 2012 if possible, but obviously each year going back will be harder to remember and find those results). As well as those schools results against St Augustine's and Oakhill.

I know that each year Knox plays Joeys and Shore in their trials, Barker and Waverly plays Riverview, and before the AAGPS competition became 10 rounds (2023) those CAS schools would play a lot more AAGPS schools during Trials. Such as, Barker would play Joeys and Newington, Knox would play Scots and Riverview, and Both Barker and Waverly would play Kings.

So for those 3 CAS schools, is someone knowledgeable enough of the scores from about 2012 onwards of those trial matches, or knows a website where I could find such results. Would be much appreciated.

Last edited:

Bob_Talau65

Frank Nicholson (4)
Hey men,
Harold Matthews Trials are all done. Lots of boys from all schools trialed for various teams. Hopefully this dosent clash with pre-season rugby but best wishes to all boys on their rugby leauge endeavours
Cheers men
Regards
#BOBTALAU

Running_rugby_1954

Ron Walden (29)
Can someone here please provide me of the results history or a website where I can find the results history, of when Waverly, Barker and Knox have each played AAGPS schools in trials (as early as 2012 if possible, but obviously each year going back will be harder to remember and find those results). As well as those schools results against St Augustine's and Oakhill.

I know that each year Knox plays Joeys and Shore in their trials, Barker and Waverly plays Riverview, and before the AAGPS competition became 10 rounds (2023) those CAS schools would play a lot more AAGPS schools during Trials. Such as, Barker would play Joeys and Newington, Knox would play Scots and Riverview, and Both Barker and Waverly would play Kings.

So for those 3 CAS schools, is someone knowledgeable enough of the scores from about 2012 onwards of those trial matches, or knows a website where I could find such results. Would be much appreciated.
Green and Gold would be your best bet. Go back through previous years forums to tally up the details.

Would only be worth following from 2017 when 2 round comp ended.

JasonDavid1997

Frank Row (1)
Attention, Footy Fans!

We are excited to announce that tomorrow marks the highly anticipated JWS Cup, featuring the Jewish State of Origin clash between Moriah and Emanuel schools. This is the must-watch game of the season, with Moriah taking on Emanuel in what promises to be a thrilling match.

The game will be held at Easts Rugby Club, with kick-off scheduled for 5:15 PM. Providing live commentary will be one Mendel gaverson , adding their expert insights to the action on the field. A Player to look out for is Ari Bencheom is a player from emmanuel that turned down a scholarship from newington coming of the bench for Emmanuel 1st xv at tight head just in year 10 what a freak.

Don’t miss out on this incredible event—it’s set to be a fantastic evening of footy!

@Bob_Talau65 will you be there

Bob_Talau65

Frank Nicholson (4)
Attention, Footy Fans!

We are excited to announce that tomorrow marks the highly anticipated JWS Cup, featuring the Jewish State of Origin clash between Moriah and Emanuel schools. This is the must-watch game of the season, with Moriah taking on Emanuel in what promises to be a thrilling match.

The game will be held at Easts Rugby Club, with kick-off scheduled for 5:15 PM. Providing live commentary will be one esteemed alumni from Aloys, Mendel gaverson , adding their expert insights to the action on the field. A Player to look out for is Ari Bencheom is a player from emmanuel that turned down a scholarship from newington coming of the bench for Emmanuel 1st xv at tight head just in year 10 what a freak.

Don’t miss out on this incredible event—it’s set to be a fantastic evening of footy!
So good,
Really pumped for this game. Heard its on Nsw rugby Tv. SO good tio see different competitions coming out and really striving for greatness. got 2.85 on emanuel winning but moriah can pull something out of nothing. Serious potential. Also emanuel will be training tommorow morning heard it is open session. Would like to see CAS supporting the boys
Cheers Men
Regards
#BOBTALAU

moa999

Tom Lawton (22)
Can someone here please provide me of the results history or a website where I can find the results history, of when Waverly, Barker and Knox have each played AAGPS schools in trials
Unfortunately don't think much of a consolidated record of preseason games exists.
As RR says from 2009-2016 CAS played a two round comp with a very limited pre-season, and obviously GPS went that way more recently in 2023.
(Note that GPS was once an 8 school comp with High dropping to 3rds in 2009 and Grammar following in 2013)

Suspect @Joker could provide you a record of v Joey's games.

Of recent record and Googling.
Knox beat Joey's in 2019.
Waverley beat Joey's in 2017, first win since 1999.
Barker beat Joey's at Joey's in 2021, first away win since 1979, and at home in 2024 (though 3x20min) and 2018.

Last edited:

Joker

Staff member
Unfortunately don't think much of a consolidated record of preseason games exists.
As RR says from 2009-2016 CAS played a two round comp with a very limited pre-season, and obviously GPS went that way more recently in 2023.
(Note that GPS was once an 8 school comp with High dropping to 3rds in 2009 and Grammar following in 2013)

I recall Joeys is sporadic in keeping results and scores. I have access to the archives.
Let me see what I can find.
How about we look at the 1970's
Here are the preseason summaries from Joeys College magazines. Please note not all scores were recorded.

The season started with a win in a trial match against Hurlstone Agricultural High School, then losses to Shore and Waverley. Wins over Armidale. St. Stanislaus' College, Knox and Grammar followed, and the team seemed to be shaping up well.

The pre-Competition games against Shore. Waverley and St. Patricks, The Armidale School. North Sydney Boys' High. Knox and Barker were all victories for the College side.

Pre-Competition games at home, victories were enjoyed against Shore, St. Patrick's, T.A.S., North Sydney Boys' High and Barker. Losses were against Waverley and Knox.

In the pre-Competition games the results were as follows:
Shore (12-28), Barker (16-12), Waverley College (22-3), Armidale (32-0), Sydney Grammar (25-0). St. Patrick's (9-10), North Sydney Boys' High (12-8), Knox (18-0).

The results of the Trial games were as follows:
Shore (7-6), North Sydney Boys' High (33-6), Waverley College (47-4), Grammar (36-3), The Armidale School (26-9), Chatswood Boys' High School (20-6), Punchbowl Boys' High School (53-0). and Knox (24-6).

1975 (NINE TRIAL GAMES)
Results from trials. Shore (29-3); Randwick Boys' High (7-26); North Sydney Boys' High (0-20); Waverley College (18-7); Punchbowl Boys' High (46-6); The Armidale School (18-9); New Plymouth Boys' High (N.Z.) (26-9); Chatswood Boys' High (44-0); Knox (19-9)

1976 (Famous game when Joeys took on the Ella bothers)
1727153740924.png

The results of the Trial Games were as follows: Shore (24-6); Waverley College (24-3); The Armidale School (18-6); Trinity Grammar
(46-3); Knox Grammar (13-3); North Sydney Boys' High (9-6); Barker College (13-3).

Knox (10-0) Barker (11-0) *Joeys went on a QLD preseason tour

Trial matches were played against Shore (lost), The Armidale School (won), St. Aloysius (won), Barker College (lost) and Knox College (won).

Pre-season games though are not an indication of the teams true potential. I would love to see an AAGPS winner v CAS winner played the following weekend at a venue that would be suitable. Thoughts?

Last edited:

moa999

Tom Lawton (22)
1976 ref to the Matraville High game I assume (now Matraville Sports, but today only 300 students), but quite a list of notable union and league alumni

Agree a champs game would be great, but suspect it won't happen while AAGPS continues with two rounds. The tea leaves suggest CAS and IGA might play a seeded Term 3 comp in 2025

TheMaulester

Ted Fahey (11)
I recall Joeys is sporadic in keeping results and scores. I have access to the archives.
Let me see what I can find.
How about we look at the 1970's
Here are the preseason summaries from Joeys College magazines. Please note not all scores were recorded.

The season started with a win in a trial match against Hurlstone Agricultural High School, then losses to Shore and Waverley. Wins over Armidale. St. Stanislaus' College, Knox and Grammar followed, and the team seemed to be shaping up well.

The pre-Competition games against Shore. Waverley and St. Patricks, The Armidale School. North Sydney Boys' High. Knox and Barker were all victories for the College side.

Pre-Competition games at home, victories were enjoyed against Shore, St. Patrick's, T.A.S., North Sydney Boys' High and Barker. Losses were against Waverley and Knox.

In the pre-Competition games the results were as follows:
Shore (12-28), Barker (16-12), Waverley College (22-3), Armidale (32-0), Sydney Grammar (25-0). St. Patrick's (9-10), North Sydney Boys' High (12-8), Knox (18-0).

The results of the Trial games were as follows:
Shore (7-6), North Sydney Boys' High (33-6), Waverley College (47-4), Grammar (36-3), The Armidale School (26-9), Chatswood Boys' High School (20-6), Punchbowl Boys' High School (53-0). and Knox (24-6).

1975 (NINE TRIAL GAMES)
Results from trials. Shore (29-3); Randwick Boys' High (7-26); North Sydney Boys' High (0-20); Waverley College (18-7); Punchbowl Boys' High (46-6); The Armidale School (18-9); New Plymouth Boys' High (N.Z.) (26-9); Chatswood Boys' High (44-0); Knox (19-9)

1976 (Famous game when Joeys took on the Ella bothers)
View attachment 20558

The results of the Trial Games were as follows: Shore (24-6); Waverley College (24-3); The Armidale School (18-6); Trinity Grammar
(46-3); Knox Grammar (13-3); North Sydney Boys' High (9-6); Barker College (13-3).

Knox (10-0) Barker (11-0) *Joeys went on a QLD preseason tour

Trial matches were played against Shore (lost), The Armidale School (won), St. Aloysius (won), Barker College (lost) and Knox College (won).

Pre-season games though are not an indication of the teams true potential. I would love to see an AAGPS winner v CAS winner played the following weekend at a venue that would be suitable. Thoughts?
Great work Joker, I much appreciate you providing those results.

If anyone else has results, either recent or older ones, please send them on here.

I too vouch for a CAS winner vs AAGPS winner game and that it be the following weekend after the final regular competition game, which it would create great speculation for such fixture, and make winning either competition more prestigious as it grants a team the opportunity to credit themselves as being the absolute best out of the two comps, and likely the best schoolboy team in NSW.

Bob_Talau65

Frank Nicholson (4)
Emanuel College were able to dust off Moriah College in the JDS cup final tonight in a tight 5-0 defeat down at Easts Rugby fields in Woollahra. Both teams showed a great deal of passion and pride in the jersey. Well done Emanuel.

Cheers,
#philly
Great passion from both teams. Loved the defence in the game, every hit was loud and the boys and girls from both schools loved it. Also quick shoutout to Kesser Torah who took out the juniors game. Great day out at easts rugby.
Sorry for the talk about different competition but no CAS rugby going around
Cheers men
Regards
#BOBTALAU

Schoolboyrugby23

Stan Wickham (3)

Of recent record and Googling.
Knox beat Joey's in 2019.
Waverley beat Joey's in 2017, first win since 1999.
Barker beat Joey's at Joey's in 2021, first away win since 1979, and at home in 2024 (though 3x20min) and 2018.
Trinity beat Joeys in 2018 also