• Welcome to the forums of Green & Gold Rugby.
    We have recently made some changes to the amount of discussions boards on the forum.
    Over the coming months we will continue to make more changes to make the forum more user friendly for all to use.
    Thanks, Admin.

CAS Rugby 2024

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)
Not one Knox player in CAS 1sts picked in his position. Seems to me Knox don’t have one player currently in their 1st XV that is considered the “best” in his position in CAS. That’s got to be motivating, especially when it simply isn’t true.
Are backrow positions really that different? Knoxy was happy when they were picked as u16’s on the wing in the firsts last year.. now they are unhappy about the same decision?

Snort1

Frank Row (1)
In 2019, against Waverley at Death Valley.
I've made it this far into the year without returning to my old theme - the competition is broken. Not quite as broken as the GPS competition, where two schools field their 1sts in the 3rd XV competition, but well past its use-by date. Which is no one's fault, because you can't expect schools to remain exactly as they were for a hundred years. But when is someone going to have the common sense to fix it? One thing that's transparently clear from this year's trials is that, if GPS want to live in their own little world, that's fine, but you could easily take the CAS and ISA schools and create a pretty competitive two-tier Rugby competition. Other sports can stay as they are - St Aloysius doesn't lose the soccer 24-0 or the cricket by an innings and 678 runs. But Rugby is different, because of the safety issues involved.

Eyes and Ears

Bob Davidson (42)
I've made it this far into the year without returning to my old theme - the competition is broken. Not quite as broken as the GPS competition, where two schools field their 1sts in the 3rd XV competition, but well past its use-by date. Which is no one's fault, because you can't expect schools to remain exactly as they were for a hundred years. But when is someone going to have the common sense to fix it? One thing that's transparently clear from this year's trials is that, if GPS want to live in their own little world, that's fine, but you could easily take the CAS and ISA schools and create a pretty competitive two-tier Rugby competition. Other sports can stay as they are - St Aloysius doesn't lose the soccer 24-0 or the cricket by an innings and 678 runs. But Rugby is different, because of the safety issues involved.
I also would like to see some change however why do you see GPS as more broken than CAS. GPS has a 6 team comp where all of the teams have been a reasonable chance to win over a small period of time and also an entertaining 3rd XV comp which allows its 3 weaker schools to compete at the appropriate level.

Redtilldead24

Stan Wickham (3)
Are backrow positions really that different? Knoxy was happy when they were picked as u16’s on the wing in the firsts last year.. now they are unhappy about the same decision?
No definitely not. Picking someone in a different but similar position isn’t really an issue for me because it should be the best 15 players on the field.

Mule

Chris McKivat (8)
No definitely not. Picking someone in a different but similar position isn’t really an issue for me because it should be the best 15 players on the field.
As a coach I am one that definitely looks for my backrow to all play very different roles: 6 should be a great ball runner and defensive weapon, 7 should be in every second ruck either blitzing or pilfering, 8 should be a third line out jumper and roaming for other opps (like returning kicks with strong runs)…

Running_rugby_1954

Alex Ross (28)
As a coach I am one that definitely looks for my backrow to all play very different roles: 6 should be a great ball runner and defensive weapon, 7 should be in every second ruck either blitzing or pilfering, 8 should be a third line out jumper and roaming for other opps (like returning kicks with strong runs)…
And the 6, 7 and 8 can’t interchange those roles because?

You don’t want 8 to be a great ball runner and defensive weapon?

You don’t want 6 to be a lineout option and roam for other opportunities?

Whatsthatcall

Bob McCowan (2)
No one said they are unhappy to be picked. Personally I would feel I had a point to prove if I’m picked out of my normal position. Let’s just wait and see how the CAS comp goes. If, and it’s a big if, Knox get on with it and win they will have proven a point I believe.

AND I stand my my earlier observation the selections as they are (happy or not) show that the CAS selectors believe Knox 1st XV do not have one single best player in the CAS comp in his respective position. Selected, interchangeable or whatever else that’s a fact.

Last edited:

Redtilldead24

Stan Wickham (3)
No one said they are unhappy to be picked. Personally I would feel I had a point to prove if I’m picked out of my normal position. Let’s just wait and see how the CAS comp goes. If, and it’s a big if, Knox get on with it and win they will have proven a point I believe.

AND I stand my my earlier observation the selections as they are (happy or not) show that the CAS selectors believe Knox 1st XV do not have one single best player in the CAS comp in his respective position. Selected, interchangeable or whatever else that’s a fact.
Hasn’t Heath Turner been playing blindside with Haslam at 8?

Waverlian2024

Bob McCowan (2)
Seem to be a few notable omissions from the CAS teams this year, with Jacob Shore and Gardiner Dowling of Waverley missing out on selection. Maybe a few injuries there as they played an outstanding game yesterday against Cranbrook. Never backing down and they didn't choke late in the game when tries were conceded.

Regards,

Muz

Mule

Chris McKivat (8)
And the 6, 7 and 8 can’t interchange those roles because?

You don’t want 8 to be a great ball runner and defensive weapon?

You don’t want 6 to be a lineout option and roam for other opportunities?
Because I want them to play the full game dominating those roles after a good lead up playing those roles. Picking a backrow or back 3 of Jacks (jacks of all trades) can often be the undoing of performance IMHO

Of course they can contribute selectively outside of the core roles but a ball running 8 or 6 roaming too often takes away from the important jobs that are more valuable for the team (again IMHO)

Pick 3 great 6s, or 3 great 8s, or 3 great 7s and it won’t be pretty….

Snort1

Frank Row (1)
I also would like to see some change however why do you see GPS as more broken than CAS. GPS has a 6 team comp where all of the teams have been a reasonable chance to win over a small period of time and also an entertaining 3rd XV comp which allows its 3 weaker schools to compete at the appropriate level.
Well, there we differ. Shore, for example, hasn't been a reasonable chance to win for a very long time. It hasn't won the title outright since 1969. Newington has flimsy depth propped up by ensuring that enough good players are recruited at field a decent A team in most age groups. It hasn't won the title for 10 years. Even Riverview, who are consistently competitive, haven't won a competition in 13 years. And two schools only play in the 3rds, and would be far better off competing against schools (like, say St Andrew's and St Aloysius) who approach Rugby in the same way they do. If you were designing a competition from a blank slate, it would not look like this.

Soupnasty

Bob McCowan (2)
Because I want them to play the full game dominating those roles after a good lead up playing those roles. Picking a backrow or back 3 of Jacks (jacks of all trades) can often be the undoing of performance IMHO

Of course they can contribute selectively outside of the core roles but a ball running 8 or 6 roaming too often takes away from the important jobs that are more valuable for the team (again IMHO)

Pick 3 great 6s, or 3 great 8s, or 3 great 7s and it won’t be pretty….
How did Jarvis Orr (Knox #7) miss selection?
There are other strange selections, but there always is. Jarvis missing out is a standout.

axel

Bill Watson (15)
Am I going mad in my old age and reading this wrong??

CAS1s & 2s play both thursday and friday?

Thursday 27 June – Games Venue Pittwater Rugby Park
10:20 CAS 2 v Sydney Juniors (changed opposition)
11:10 CAS 1 v CHS 1
13:10 CAS 2 v ISA 2 note changed time
14:00 CAS 1 v ISA 1 note changed time

Friday 28 June – Games Venue Knox Grammar School No 1
17:45 CAS 2 v GPS 2
19:00 CAS 1 v GPS 1

If that's right, surely GPS win by 50?

Gazza

Frank Row (1)
How did Jarvis Orr (Knox #7) miss selection?
There are other strange selections, but there always is. Jarvis missing out is a standout.
Agree, plenty of strange selections and get picked on reputation but that's not a surprise. I reckon the 2nd team would beat the firsts.